Multiplayer Code design

Started by
4 comments, last by RipTide1024 23 years, 1 month ago
I''m the leader of a project a couple of friends and I started about half a year back. We finally designed what we want our game to look, and play like. Now we face the problem of code design. We are looking to code a space-combat game that is multiplayer, and very fast paced. Basically, a Quake3 re-done to have the same fast action as a space-combat. The game will have little to no single player. So, basically, the whole game depends solely on the network code. The only problem is that none of us know how to design a game for network play. I figure that we don''t want to be transfering very much data for each client to save bandwith. But every once in a while, a larger update will be required to keep the clients in sync. Some major tracking of time will be needed, and also some cubic splines to predict player movement between updates. So the big question is how do I build the foundation of the game in order to accomplish this in a scalable/modular way that should allow for the implementation of the rest of the game-design? I guess it should be something similar to how Quake3 handles net code, but I have no idea what that is. I''m not looking for actuall net code or the implementation to any form of lag handling. Just a nice way to design the basic structure of such a fast paced game. I''m feeling kind of stuck, because it seems that a good network based game would take the network into consideration when the gameplay code design is created, but the network code design must also take into consideration the gameplay code design. Anyone know a book that describes fast paced game network coding? lol, it''s a pretty select target for a book, but I need it . Right now, I need anything... a starting place, an article, even an idea. If you''d like to know more information about the project, or want to get in touch with me for anything that deals with the project, please email me at riptide@linux3d.net. - RipTide
------------------------------------------We shall not cease from explorationAnd the end of all our exploringWill be to arrive where we startedAnd know the place for the first timeT. S. Eliot
Advertisement
You could have a look at the source code of Doom, Descent2, Quake(I & II) and I thought the source code for Quake III is also released. Do a search on Yahoo, and you''ll find the source.

HTH,
Almar
LOL quake III''s source code free lol that''s funny it''s like $250k last i heard (in pcgamer). I''m not sure about quake II but i know quake I and doom''s source codes are out, though their technology and netcode are wayy outdated..
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US!!!!
$250k for commercial use
free for personal use

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com
Yeah, KalvinB is right. If you make a game using the source code (Like Heavy Metal FAKK2, Star Trek: Elite Force) than it will cost you $$$, but if you just try to understand the code (and concept) you can easily convert parts to your own project.
DOOM''s ipx code still works today.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement