• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

Bitmap compression

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
12 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 November 1999 - 04:13 PM

Since I have recently suceeded in loading a 24bit bitmap properly, I've noticed something: 24-bit bitmaps are BIG.

So, now I am looking for any suggestions for compression, or where I could get a publicly availible algorithm. Winzip has has a 99% compression ration on bitmaps, and I'd like to get that one, but I doubt it's publicly availible. I'll have to go check out the gzip and bzip stuff, they're open source so maybe I'll use one of those.

Anyone have any algorithms they've used sucessfully? Anyone know where I can find one for sure?

2meg for a 256x256 bitmap seems a bit high ;-)

Sponsor:

#2 foofightr   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 27 November 1999 - 05:54 PM

Actually, a 256x256 24-bit BMP file is 192KB, not 2MB

You might think of using PCX files instead, they have built-in compression that usually gives you 25-40% compression. Not as good as WinZip, but hey, it's simple as hell.

The PNG format compresses REALLY well on the images I tested on.

I'm gonna stop talking now, because I don't know all that much about compression and don't want to say something to upset anyone

#3 benjamin bunny   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 838

Posted 27 November 1999 - 06:07 PM

Does anybody know where I can get the PNG library?

#4 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 27 November 1999 - 06:32 PM

Hmmm, not 2meg? Musta done my calculation wrong...

Yah.. it is 190k.. oops...

Hehehehe, I said that 2meg was too big ;-)

#5 logistix   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 November 1999 - 08:45 PM

The PNG spec is at www.w3c.com (or maybe org)

#6 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 27 November 1999 - 09:41 PM

sorry if this sounds stupid, but you figure it out by (256*256)*(24/8)=192*(1024)
is that right, I jus guessed, sorry if its a stupid question, its late and Im not think very clear
later

#7 kieren_j   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 28 November 1999 - 12:24 AM

PCX files only use their RLE compression (192 cutoff) in 256 colour mode. If you want to compress and dont mind slight quality loss, use truevision targa (TGA) or JPEG.

#8 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 November 1999 - 05:51 AM

This is how you'd figure it:

256*256 = 65536 pixels

65536*3=196608 bytes

You take it times 3 since there are 3 bytes per pixel in 24bpp.

#9 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 November 1999 - 07:12 AM

That's incorrect. ALL PCX bit modes, 8 bit, 24 bit, etc. use RLE compression.
It doesn't stop at 256 colors. (0-255) is the range of the RGB component,
not the number of colors. And who wants to use JPEG which requires you to
use a whole library of complicated code to decode a single image. It only
takes a couple simple functions to decode a image with PCX.

Speck

#10 Splat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 November 1999 - 09:00 AM

Listen, if you don't need compression IN the bitmap (if you are using a global compressor like WinZip to package your resources together) then go with Targa. TGA is basically the easiest format to load (other than RAW files that you know the format of).

- Splat

#11 mhkrause   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 November 1999 - 09:05 AM

If you're doing 3D with Direct3D, you may want to look into DXTC. It stores the image at 4 bits per texel (at least for DXT1) and hardware support is growing, it's in Nvidia's GeForce 256, S3's Savage4 & Savage2000, 3dfx's upcoming chipset.

#12 foofightr   Members   -  Reputation: 130

Posted 28 November 1999 - 01:51 PM

Rappler: You're right, except you forgot to add the 54 byte header

kieren_j: Speck is right, PCX files are compressed in all color bit depths, but I find that 24bit PCX files have very low compression, less than 20%, and I don't particularly like the way they're encoded (I studied the PCX file format and wrote my own loader for this format, so I know what I'm talking about )

Splat: I'd have to say BMP files are the easiest to load, hehe! I looked into TGA file format a few months back, and it didn't look that easy. It only uses RLE compression, but the file header is quite a beast. You can cram a whole lot of stuff into that header, I'm beginning to wonder what the origin of that file format was.. looks like it was meant for images used in business apps, because you can have author's name, comments, charts, sales data, memos, phone numbers, la la la... just kidding

I'm looking at the PNG file format at www.w3.org (it's .org)... VERY interesting stuff. They stress the importance of ease of implementation on the developer's part, I'll find out how true that is when I go to implement it (yup, looks like I'm hooked on PNG for now).

If and when I finish my PNG library, I'll offer it up on these boards if anyone is interested.

#13 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 November 1999 - 04:13 PM

If yo only need to load 256 color bitmaps, PCX is they way to go because of the ease of use, and how since yo can right a function to load philes in bout 15 lines.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS