Emmanuel Deloget

Started by
4 comments, last by Oluseyi 17 years, 4 months ago
Workshop participation thread for Emmanuel Deloget
Advertisement
How late am I :)

More seriously, I had tons of things to do these last days (omg! new responsabilities!), and I managed to forgot to post the small sketch I did. I also need to apologize : I forgot to bring some correct pencil to Stuttgart, so I had to do this with an ink pen.

I obviously doesn't compete with anyone here... but I hope I'll be able to create some nice drawing by the end of this workshop!
This is my first post with this strange green color (I guess I'm ill... or maybe I unlocked some unlimited power, I don't know...). Anyway, here are 3 new sketches for you to criticize.

I managed to get some quite correct pencils, so it's now easier. I still have to find a good rubber though.

Regards,
Very strong start. All you're missing, on a basic level, is an awareness of the minute details of a scene and how to faithfully transfer them to your drawing. It is the little details - and, in particular, light/shadow effects - that really make your drawings seem lifelike.

Good job.
Thanks for your comments Oluseyi. I wish I had your talent BTW :)

I will probably continue with sketches for a while - because I need to figure out how to handle things I think I see vs. how things are really. Take for example the right arm of the left guitar player on my second drawing (in my last post). It prove to be really difficult to do, until I figured out that what I was drawing was my own perception of an arm, not what I was seeing.

I will also need to reproduce a comic book cover.
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
Thanks for your comments Oluseyi. I wish I had your talent BTW :)

Why, thank you! I feel blessed with a certain amount of innate talent, which has helped me to improve very rapidly with formal instruction (and to largely teach myself). Nevertheless, I am convinced that anyone can become a proficient freehand artist through exercises designed to eliminate/minimize cognitive interference.

Quote:I will probably continue with sketches for a while - because I need to figure out how to handle things I think I see vs. how things are really. Take for example the right arm of the left guitar player on my second drawing (in my last post). It prove to be really difficult to do, until I figured out that what I was drawing was my own perception of an arm, not what I was seeing.

I am a firm believer in an understanding of underlying principles. While simply drawing the shapes as you see them will help you to copy images before your eyes, an understanding of anatomy and techniques such as foreshortening is essential for imaginative drawing. I will try to emphasize both over the course of the workshop.

Quote:I will also need to reproduce a comic book cover.

That should be fun. I'll try and find interesting drawings, photographs and paintings for the workshop over my holiday.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement