• Create Account

Trying to pinpoint system specs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 kobuscrispi   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

I'm just about to submit my latest game to the Independent Games Festival, and the submission form has a section on hardware requirements. How does one go about figuring this out? It's not a terribly taxing program - a moderate number of non-textured polygons and some bitmap fonts. The game can be downloaded at the URL below. Could anyone give me an estimate as to what I should list as the system reqs? http://professor.fireandrobot.com/zct.zip Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

#2 Nychold   Members   -  Reputation: 292

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

I haven't looked at your demo yet, but there's an easy way to figure out approximate requirements:

Start by booting the game, and take time measurements. FPS is a great metric. Also, bring up some kind of process observer (in Windows, just press Ctrl-Alt-Delete) and see how much RAM your game takes. Finally, go through your code, and see just how much could be loaded into the video card.

Any memory measurements should be rounded to the nearest power of 2. Make sure you add to this the OS's memory. For Windows XP, I believe that's 256 MB RAM, but you might be able to get away with 128 MB. Ignore this addition for video RAM.

Processor Speed should be determined based on FPS. CPU performance relates about linearly with FPS, so FPS = G * GHz, where G is your game's complexity factor. So, if you had about 100 FPS running on a 3.1 GHz CPU, your G is about 32.3, and if you wanted about 20 FPS minimum, you're looking at about 620 MHz (rounded up to the next logical number, that's 650 MHz). That's also assuming the video card is the same, so feel free to bump it up a few hundred MHz for caution.

And that should just about cover it for approximate requirements. Sound cards are sound cards, network cards are network cards, etc. Speed there is a non-issue, even if heavily taxed. Hard Drive sapce is simple...calculate how much space the game takes unzipped and zipped, and add double the required RAM and Video RAM space (for swap and cushion), but don't bother to round to the nearest power of 2. Nearest MB should be fine.

The only other way to determine this is to get a bunch of very low end systems, and see if it runs playable or not.

#3 NotAYakk   Members   -  Reputation: 876

0Likes

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:13 AM

Windows comes with "taskman", a process viewer.

Here is a better one:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
simply because you can look at the history of every process (for a certain period of time), making it easier to spot memory usage spikes. :)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS