• Create Account

3H-GDC m.VI: The Pits (Winner: Endurion!)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
73 replies to this topic

#21 extralongpants   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 704

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

I'd like to compete

Sponsor:

#22 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1384

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:53 AM

Prizes update!
Prizes:

1. 3 games of your choosing from my library of NES and PC games

2. 3 months of GDNet+

3. 1 game from my library

I'll cover the shipping to US and Canada. I'll split it to Europe.

Contestants:
These are the people that have said they want to compete, so far

• alnite

• CrimsonSun

• jfclavette

• Endurion

• Thevenin

• BeanDog

• d000hg

• nagromo

• Stompy9999

• matt_j

• extralongpants

You can join at any time before 9AM EST/1400GMT tomorrow morning.

Judges

• capn_midnight:
    Processor: Pentium4 2.4GHz
    Memory: 768MB RDRAM
    GFX: Radeon 9800
    Sound: SB Audigy 2
    Other Software: Java 5, Java 6, .Net 1.1, .Net 2.0, Ruby 1.8.5, current DirectX and Managed DirectX installations

• Trapper Zoid:
    Processor: Athlon 64 3000+ (2.0 GHz)
    Memory (RAM): 1 GB
    Graphics: ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
    Sound: Integrated AC97 audio chip on motherboard
    Other Software: Java 5 (not sure about 6), .Net 2.0 (and probably 1.1 as well), DirectX 9.0c

• giveblood:
    Processor: Pentium4 3.2GHz
    Memory: 2 gig RAM
    GFX: Radeon X800 pro
    Other Software: Java, .net, direct x etc

Contest Theme
Will be announced at 8:45AM tomorrow morning.

Base Code
If anyone has any base code they want to share, either from a contestant, judge, or spectator, now is the time to post it. Posting base code also gives judges a chance to review your code if you are uncertain if it falls into the "Game Maker" category. Given the ASCII restriction, I think it is highly unlikely that anyone is using one anyway.

[Edited by - capn_midnight on January 12, 2007 1:53:25 PM]

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#23 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 723

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:17 AM

Not to sound rude, but I'm not that interested in GD+ or playing PC games, especially with a (completely understandable) shipping charge. Would it be OK for winners to take cash value of the GD+? And can first prize winner have first pick of the prizes?!

#24 extralongpants   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 704

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Not to sound rude, but I'm not that interested in GD+ or playing PC games, especially with a (completely understandable) shipping charge. Would it be OK for winners to take cash value of the GD+? And can first prize winner have first pick of the prizes?!

I think the GDNet+ membership prize is his way of supporting the site as much as it is a way of providing incentive for the contestants. I think the GDNet+ membership is a suitable a prize.

#25 CrimsonSun   Members   -  Reputation: 336

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:17 AM

It's about time I got off my lazy butt and actually finished a project of mine. Please count me in for the contest!

#26 extralongpants   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 704

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:18 AM

Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
  • giveblood:

What version of .Net? 2.0?

#27 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1384

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:37 AM

Quote:
    Original post by extralongpants
    Quote:
    Original post by d000hg

I think the GDNet+ membership prize is his way of supporting the site as much as it is a way of providing incentive for the contestants. I think the GDNet+ membership is a suitable a prize.

For GDNet+ memberships, I can't actually pay for you, so I just paypal you the money and then it's up to you to figure out the details. For the PC games, well, they're already bought and paid for, I want to get rid of them.
    Quote:
    Original post by extralongpants
    Quote:
    Original post by capn_midnight
  • giveblood:

What version of .Net? 2.0?

try PMing giveblood, he didn't tell me.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

#28 Thevenin   Members   -  Reputation: 270

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:36 AM

.NET 2.0 Framework will be a requirement for my entry.

I have an NSIS install script that will put the .NET Framework 2.0 and DirectX on a computer, but this will make my entry 22.6MiB in size. [disturbed]

#29 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 723

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

Oh NO! I have a new PC and haven't yet installed Visual C++. I can't find the disk, and all I have is C++.Net Express which won't compile my code (using Win32 stuff).

#30 CrimsonSun   Members   -  Reputation: 336

Posted 12 January 2007 - 10:54 AM

Quote:
    Original post by d000hg
    Oh NO! I have a new PC and haven't yet installed Visual C++. I can't find the disk, and all I have is C++.Net Express which won't compile my code (using Win32 stuff).

You can download and install the WIN32 SDK. It will work with express edition and will provide the necessary files to compile win32 applications.

#31 d000hg   Members   -  Reputation: 723

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

I have to admit I'm sceptical it'll just work, but if it does then you will be my hero!
    Will it also support MFC & DirectX?

#32 BeanDog   Members   -  Reputation: 1063

Posted 12 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

Geez, I'm sorry, I have to withdraw--prior engagement I'd forgotten about. I'll see you guys next time around.

~BenDilts( void );

Lucidchart: Online Flow Chart Software; Lucidpress: Digital Publishing Software

#33 TheCropolite   Members   -  Reputation: 126

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

Hmm, this certainly looks much better than doing revision and procrastinating on facebook.. I'm in! (btw, does anyone know if it's possible to get back an old account if I don't have access to the email address anymore or remember the password?)

#34 nagromo   Members   -  Reputation: 676

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

Quote:
    Original post by d000hg
    I have to admit I'm sceptical it'll just work, but if it does then you will be my hero!
    Will it also support MFC & DirectX?

MFC and DirectX will work with express edition, but you have to download the SDK's separately, and they're big files.

#35 paulecoyote   Members   -  Reputation: 1060

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

Looks interesting, if I do join in it will be late cos one of my grandfathers is taking a train to see me and have lunch with me. Look forward to seeing the entries though, this competition always produces cool stuff [smile]

Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

#36 CrimsonSun   Members   -  Reputation: 336

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:04 AM

It turns out I have to work today, so I have to withdraw from the competition. Good luck to the rest of you!

#37 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3424

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

Is there a chatroom somewhere?

#38 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1384

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:36 AM

Okay gang, the theme is "The Pits"

#39 Endurion   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3424

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:37 AM

Oooh, i smell ET remakes :D

#40 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1384

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
    Original post by Endurion
    Is there a chatroom somewhere?

irc.afternet.org #gamedev

Old topic!
    Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS