• Create Account

[C#] Array in struct

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 hkBattousai   Members   -  Reputation: 174

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:27 AM

struct Fruits
{
	char Apple;
	bool Cherry;
	int Orange[100];	// Error here
	long Melon;
}
The struct above well works in C++, but gives error in C#.
How can I write C# version of this code?

Error given :

Error 1 Syntax error, bad array declarator. To declare a managed array the rank specifier precedes the variable's identifier. To declare a fixed size buffer field, use the fixed keyword before the field type.
Error 2 Array size cannot be specified in a variable declaration (try initializing with a 'new' expression)

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:30 AM

int[] oranges;

somefruit.oranges = new int[100];

#3 hkBattousai   Members   -  Reputation: 174

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:47 AM

I asked this question to some other forums about three or four weeks ago, no answer yet.
Again I asked it to one of my friend who claims to have a certificate in C#, he said that I must use array lists and it is a very difficult thing to implement.

But you answered just a few minutes after I asked this question, and it works alright. Thank you very much!
This is what I like about GameDev.

By the way my [QUOTE] and [code=auto:0] blocks are not working, is that a temporary problem? Also advanced reply mode is disabled. How can I reactivate it?

#4 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 5620

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:49 AM

It should be noted that that allocates an array on the managed heap. There is no method to allocate managed arrays on the stack.

Use lowercase letters, [ quote] and [ code]

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
ScapeCode - Blog | SlimDX

#5 dalep   Members   -  Reputation: 326

0Likes

Posted 20 February 2007 - 06:52 AM

If you need an array in a struct for interop (like passing out to a DLL or something) you can do it like this:

public unsafe struct StructWithAnArray
{
public fixed int ArrayField[100];
}

You could only use this in an unsafe context and the type of the array can only be a native numeric value type (int, double, float, etc). ArrayField isn't an actual Array so you can't pass it to anything expecting a parameter of type System.Array and it doesn't have any properties like Length. Within your C# code, ArrayField is of type int* but sizeof(StructWithArray) will return 400.

I've never had occasion to actually do this so I have no idea what the pitfalls might be.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS