Tracker software

Started by
4 comments, last by durghan 23 years ago
Does anyone know fo any good Windows based tracker software? All the DOS stuff sucks...including ScreamTracker (stupid interface problems)...also, good sample resources would be welcomed as well...Thanks... -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Dave "Dur''Ghan" Wilson -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "If the glass is half full or half empty all depends on what was last done with it." -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Dave "Dur'Ghan" Wilson-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-www.madhattergames.com
Advertisement
I wholeheartedly suggest BuzzTracker for all your tracking needs.

Its really rather innovative- basically it works works by something called "machines". These machines may be coded by anyone, and include synthesizers, effects, drum-machines, and traditional sample-based trackers. You can then string these machines together in a virtual studio via a really intuitive GUI, and program them through a tracker interface. It really has to be seen to be believed.

www.buzz2.com -official homepage of BuzzTracker

www.buzzmachines.com -get your machines here

I''ve only been using it two or three months myself, but I''ve already found it 20X more useful than Acid, Rebirth, and FastTracker combined. (it includes a 303 emulator!! and an 808 emulator, a 909 emulator, a 404 emulator, and it can be synced to Rebirth, accepts Soundfonts, and just about anything else you can think of!)

This is really a revolutionary piece of software- one-of-a-kind. If you need any help getting started, feel free to email me at kix4trids@yahoo.com But please, do yourself a favor & give this tracker a shot! You _will_not_ be dissapointed.

Cheers & Happy Tracking-

(-Dan-)

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
Buzz is useful if you are doing "techno" music a lot. I have found it too be FAR to time consuming to do anything other than techno style music. The machines make it very convinient to add reverb/delay/flanging/etc to simple synth tracks and come up with very nice sounding results. However, if you are trying to write a nice, fairly complex piano part, you are going to have trouble in buzz. I honestly still recommend Fasttracker 2 (but you have to have a SB16 or a SBLive for it to work) for all/some of your writing - then dump it to wave and mix it externally. I''ve tried all the new Windows based trackers and noone has gotten it right yet.

-Chris
I would recommend Impulse Tracker. I''ve tried just about every tracker there is, and I find that Impulse Tracker is the easiest to use, the most powerful, and is well-suited to just about any type of music.

I agree that Buzz is really best for Techno and hinders you with just about anything else.

I also feel that Impulse Tracker is much more advanced than Fast Tracker. If I recall correctly, it has higher limits (samples per instrument, etc.), and other weird things like resonant filtering, MIDI support, etc.
But aren''t Fasttracker and Impulse tracker DOS programs? Do they work very well under Windows DOS Shell? I was once told to use Screamtracker and the graphics for that were always messed up under windows...I''ll check them out I guess...thanks for the info...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dave "Dur''Ghan" Wilson
"If the glass is half full or
half empty all depends on what was last done with it."
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Dave "Dur'Ghan" Wilson-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-www.madhattergames.com
Yes, they are.
No, they won''t.

And this can be a serious problem. These days, it''s rare to find sound cards with DOS drivers for them. I''m lucky: I have an SB AWE 64, so I have a DOS boot disk and DOS drivers for my sound card. And it''s specifically for using Impulse Trackers...and my emulators (well, only Magic Engine...all other systems have great Windows emulators, finally).

Perhaps a better alternative for you would be ModPlug Tracker. I don''t know the address offhand, but http://www.maz-sound.com should take care of all of your tracking needs.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement