• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

multi layer voxel engine

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 11 September 1999 - 10:52 PM

i've had an idea,,,, how about making a multi-layer-voxel engine ?

if you use 3 bitmaps to define a landscape instead of one you can get beutiful results, like for example, tunnels or houses (with windows and all) or bridges...

this gives you the advanges of a voxel engine (doing comlex scenes with low CPU) but not limited to only a simple landscape.

you can have your artist make a wonderful scene of hills and tunnels and houses with thousands of polygons in a 3d program and convert the polygon scene into a 3-layer voxel with a simple algorithm (although slow). the result would be (at least to my imagination) an amazingly comlex scene that can run pretty fast...

then again,, i could be wrong, maybe more than one layer would make the algoritm too slow. i dont know.

Sponsor:

#2 FlyFire   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 September 1999 - 10:52 PM

The multi-layering tehnology was already used in Vangers game. They already copyright it and call Surmap-ART - this tehnology allows you to create large, dynamically changing worlds in real time. Also i'm sure there was not only voxels...
Anyway, i think they use only 2 layers of voxel.

------------------
FlyFire/CodeX
http://codexorg.webjump.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS