C# Workshop

Started by
57 comments, last by Ezbez 16 years, 10 months ago
I noticed that the only beginners workshop on the site was for C++. I beleive that more workshops should be made to teach more languages. The guys that made the C++ workshop happen did a marvelous job and I think itd be cool to do a C# or C workshop aswell. This would mean that more members will know the basics of C# and will be able to help more people in that language.
Advertisement
One can hope. Though I don't know how the Staff will like it. I know I'm still working on the Scheme workshop.... (oy, I'm slow)

Plus with C#, it can't be the only thing learned. Especially in today's workplace. It will have to be C# and ADO.net or C# and ASP.net or C# and XNA or all 4.

What does the great Washu say?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Boom.

That's my support thrown in. The faster the next generation are using a good Hejlsberg designed language over some bastard offspring of a place holder macro assembler pretending to be logical syntax, the better.
I'd be interested in taking part as a participant -- learning C# can only help with better software design in general.
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
One can hope. Though I don't know how the Staff will like it. I know I'm still working on the Scheme workshop.... (oy, I'm slow)

Plus with C#, it can't be the only thing learned. Especially in today's workplace. It will have to be C# and ADO.net or C# and ASP.net or C# and XNA or all 4.

What does the great Washu say?

Can we start with QBasic?

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Some thoughts:
Part of the success of the C++ workshop was the availability of previous editions of the book online. This helped to contribute to the readership, as they could follow along in versions that, while not the latest, were decent enough. Should a C# workshop take place, it too should try and provide the ability for others to follow along in a virtual manner without physical materials on hand.

The language should be taugh with its design in mind, that is the principles of object orientation should be covered. The design guidelines should also be covered to a decent extent. Subjects like XNA, ADO, ASP.Net, etc. should wait till near the end of the workshop, as the goal is to teach programming. What could happen is that a series of assignments would be developed (much like in C++ workshop) with each building upon the previous, SUDs for instance.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Original post by Washu
Some thoughts:
Part of the success of the C++ workshop was the availability of previous editions of the book online. This helped to contribute to the readership, as they could follow along in versions that, while not the latest, were decent enough. Should a C# workshop take place, it too should try and provide the ability for others to follow along in a virtual manner without physical materials on hand.

The language should be taugh with its design in mind, that is the principles of object orientation should be covered. The design guidelines should also be covered to a decent extent. Subjects like XNA, ADO, ASP.Net, etc. should wait till near the end of the workshop, as the goal is to teach programming. What could happen is that a series of assignments would be developed (much like in C++ workshop) with each building upon the previous, SUDs for instance.

well said. i'd also like to see such a workshop cover c#/.net 2.0 so non-windows users like myself can jump in using mono. (the current version supports 2.0 and winforms)

a python workshop would be nice too.
This space for rent.
I'm in. I don't know about books offhand, but the C# spec is online for free, and is extremely easy to read (as opposed to the somewhat cryptic C++ standard).
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I'm in. Lots of people are into C# right now, and I think alot of them would be interested in something like this. However, may I suggest using SDL.NET instead of XNA? This would help those who are working with Mono.

Also, couldn't we base the workshop on some of the stuff on MSDN? Something like the C# for Sharp Kids series - I know it seems a little too kiddy, but it teaches the concepts pretty well.
----------------------------My site: www.sudoexec.net
Well here are some links:
Murach's C#
Free C# E-book from Programmer's Heaven
Jesse Liberty's Intro to C#
Threading in C# I figured I'd throw that in [smile]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement