• Create Account

[.net] XNA questions

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
20 replies to this topic

#1 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 754

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:05 AM

Is it possible to use XNA assemblies with visual studio 2005 professional. I cant find a download for it on MS site so I think I should download XNA game studio express and use its XNA assemblies in VS2005. And is there any cons of not using GSE other than the lack of content pipeline?

Sponsor:

#2 remigius   Members   -  Reputation: 1172

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

You can simply add the assemblies as references to your project, like you would Windows Forms for example. You'll have to create your Game subclass and/or graphics device manually, but it does work.

If you''re not using GSE , XBox deployment should be pretty much out the window and getting the bitmap fonts to work might also prove to be a pain. Now I wasn't too happy being forced to use GSE either, but I haven't found anything significant yet that really makes me want to go back to VS2005, while not using GSE comes with some definite cons, not the least of which is indeed the lack of the content pipeline. It may not be perfect, but it beats writing importers manually [smile]

Exactly what are you trying to do for which you really need VS2005?

Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

#3 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 754

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:23 AM

To be honest I havent tried GSE yet and dont know how it looks like.Mainly I dont want to learn a new IDE all over again though probably it looks muck like VS.
Another thing I read is that vs2005 has shader debugging and GSE doesnt have it.
Up until now I was using c++ and opengl/d3d but I want to make a switch to c# to ease the pain of writing lots of stuff which are already provided within .net
Im mainly doing windows programming so I thinking of dropping opengl but am confused on either using MDX which is no longer updated AFAIK.So this only leaves me with XNA which forces me to GSE :|

PS. I also read that D3DX is not available in vs2005+xna.Not sure on this though.

So what should I prefer if im up for windows 3d game programming with d3d?
a)c++ d3d on vs2005
b)c# xna(on managed d3d) on GSE(vc#express)

I wanna go b because i think it will cut the development time by a huge amount.
Any comment?

#4 Billr17   Members   -  Reputation: 437

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2007 - 02:57 AM

Quote:
Original post by Black Knight
To be honest I havent tried GSE yet and dont know how it looks like.Mainly I dont want to learn a new IDE all over again though probably it looks muck like VS.

What? GSE is just a plugin for Visual C# Express Edition. If you have VS Pro, Visual C# Express is near identical minus a few extras (Such as full plugin support, and the ability to use multiple programming languages under 1 IDE for instance). You wont have to learn a new IDE again :-)

The only downside to using the Express Edition is that the Team Explorer plugin does not work with it. Therefore, when I'm working on my codeplex project I have to open bothe Visual Studio 2005 and Visual C# Express.

You can install Visual C# Express w/ GSE on the same machine as Visual Studio 2005 Standard, Pro & Team Edition. Whats to loose?

MS is known to be working on plugins for the retail versions of VS. When it it'll be out, only they know ;-)

- Bill

#5 Machaira   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1028

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:53 AM

If you want to do Windows games with C# I'd have to say start digging into XNA. The Racing Game Starter Kit was just released. Download it and take a look at what you can do with XNA.

#6 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 754

0Likes

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

I have downloaded and installed both vc#express and xna everything seems to be working good for now :)
Creating a d3d window is a piece of cake considered to a c++ win32 d3d window.
I wonder if I can create my own window and use another form inside it for rendering just like MDI child windows.
I did this with c# mdx so I think its possible with XNA too.
But XNA directly inherits from Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game so it doesnt let you create a d3d window directly.
I guess i need to go the old way and inherit from Windows.Form and create the d3d device myself.
I want to do this because I want to use XNA for a world editor so I dont want the whole window to be a d3d viewport.

#7 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 754

0Likes

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:19 AM

Does any1 managed to handle the xna game window sizing?
It always crashes when the I size the height to 0.Here is my code.

#region Using Statements
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input;
using Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage;
#endregion

namespace deneme
{
/// <summary>
/// This is the main type for your game
/// </summary>
public class Game1 : Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game
{
GraphicsDeviceManager graphics;
ContentManager content;
GraphicsDevice m_Device;

Effect effect;

VertexPositionColor[] vertices;

private VertexBuffer vb;
private IndexBuffer ib;

private float angle = 0.0f;

public Game1()
{
graphics = new GraphicsDeviceManager(this);
content = new ContentManager(Services);

Window.AllowUserResizing = true;
Window.ClientSizeChanged += new System.EventHandler(Window_ClientSizeChanged);

}

/// <summary>
/// Allows the game to perform any initialization it needs to before starting to run.
/// This is where it can query for any required services and load any non-graphic
/// related content. Calling base.Initialize will enumerate through any components
/// and initialize them as well.
/// </summary>
protected override void Initialize()
{
// TODO: Add your initialization logic here
base.Initialize();

SetupXNADevice();

SetupVertices();

SetUpIndices();

SetUpCamera();

}
private void SetupXNADevice()
{
m_Device = graphics.GraphicsDevice;

CompiledEffect compiledEffect = Effect.CompileEffectFromFile("@/../../../../effects.fx", null, null, CompilerOptions.None, TargetPlatform.Windows);
effect = new Effect(graphics.GraphicsDevice, compiledEffect.GetEffectCode(), CompilerOptions.None, null);

graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = 800;
graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = 600;
graphics.IsFullScreen = false;
graphics.ApplyChanges();
Window.Title = "My First XNA Game :)";

//Disable back face culling
m_Device.RenderState.CullMode = CullMode.None;

}
private void SetupVertices()
{
vertices = new VertexPositionColor[5];

vertices[0].Position = new Vector3(0f, 0f, 0f);
vertices[0].Color = Color.White;
vertices[1].Position = new Vector3(5f, 0f, 0f);
vertices[1].Color = Color.White;
vertices[2].Position = new Vector3(10f, 0f, 0f);
vertices[2].Color = Color.White;
vertices[3].Position = new Vector3(5f, 5f, 0f);
vertices[3].Color = Color.White;
vertices[4].Position = new Vector3(10f, 5f, 0f);
vertices[4].Color = Color.White;

vb = new VertexBuffer(m_Device, sizeof(float) * 4 * 5, ResourceUsage.WriteOnly, ResourceManagementMode.Automatic);
vb.SetData(vertices);

}
private void SetUpIndices()
{
short[] indices = new short[6];

indices[0] = 3;
indices[1] = 1;
indices[2] = 0;
indices[3] = 4;
indices[4] = 2;
indices[5] = 1;

ib = new IndexBuffer(m_Device, typeof(short), 6, ResourceUsage.WriteOnly, ResourceManagementMode.Automatic);
ib.SetData(indices);
}

private void SetUpCamera()
{
Matrix viewMatrix = Matrix.CreateLookAt(new Vector3(0, 0, 40), new Vector3(0, 0, 0), new Vector3(0, 1, 0));
Matrix projectionMatrix = Matrix.CreatePerspectiveFieldOfView(MathHelper.PiOver4, this.Window.ClientBounds.Width / this.Window.ClientBounds.Height, 1.0f, 50.0f);

}

protected void Window_ClientSizeChanged(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{

graphics.PreferredBackBufferWidth = Window.ClientBounds.Width;
graphics.PreferredBackBufferHeight = Window.ClientBounds.Height;

}

/// <summary>
/// Load your graphics content. If loadAllContent is true, you should
/// load content from both ResourceManagementMode pools. Otherwise, just
/// load ResourceManagementMode.Manual content.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="loadAllContent">Which type of content to load.</param>
protected override void LoadGraphicsContent(bool loadAllContent)
{
if (loadAllContent)
{
// TODO: Load any ResourceManagementMode.Automatic content
}

CompiledEffect compiledEffect = Effect.CompileEffectFromFile("@/../../../../effects.fx", null, null, CompilerOptions.None, TargetPlatform.Windows);
effect = new Effect(graphics.GraphicsDevice, compiledEffect.GetEffectCode(), CompilerOptions.None, null);

if(this.Window.ClientBounds.Height>0){
Matrix viewMatrix = Matrix.CreateLookAt(new Vector3(0, 0, 40), new Vector3(0, 0, 0), new Vector3(0, 1, 0));
Matrix projectionMatrix = Matrix.CreatePerspectiveFieldOfView(MathHelper.PiOver4, this.Window.ClientBounds.Width / this.Window.ClientBounds.Height, 1.0f, 50.0f);
effect.Parameters["xView"].SetValue(viewMatrix);
effect.Parameters["xProjection"].SetValue(projectionMatrix);
effect.Parameters["xWorld"].SetValue(Matrix.Identity);
}

// TODO: Load any ResourceManagementMode.Manual content
}

/// <summary>
/// Unload your graphics content. If unloadAllContent is true, you should
/// unload content from both ResourceManagementMode pools. Otherwise, just
/// unload ResourceManagementMode.Manual content. Manual content will get
/// Disposed by the GraphicsDevice during a Reset.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="unloadAllContent">Which type of content to unload.</param>
protected override void UnloadGraphicsContent(bool unloadAllContent)
{
if (unloadAllContent)
{
// TODO: Unload any ResourceManagementMode.Automatic content
content.Unload();
}
effect.Dispose();

// TODO: Unload any ResourceManagementMode.Manual content
}

/// <summary>
/// Allows the game to run logic such as updating the world,
/// checking for collisions, gathering input and playing audio.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="gameTime">Provides a snapshot of timing values.</param>
protected override void Update(GameTime gameTime)
{
// Allows the game to exit
if (GamePad.GetState(PlayerIndex.One).Buttons.Back == ButtonState.Pressed)
this.Exit();

KeyboardState kState = Keyboard.GetState();
if(kState.IsKeyDown(Keys.F)) {
graphics.ToggleFullScreen();
}

// TODO: Add your update logic here

angle += 0.05f;

base.Update(gameTime);
}

/// <summary>
/// This is called when the game should draw itself.
/// </summary>
/// <param name="gameTime">Provides a snapshot of timing values.</param>
protected override void Draw(GameTime gameTime)
{
m_Device.Clear(Color.BurlyWood);

effect.CurrentTechnique = effect.Techniques["Colored"];

Vector3 rotAxis = new Vector3(3*angle, angle, 2*angle);
rotAxis.Normalize();

Matrix worldMatrix = Matrix.CreateTranslation(-5, -10 * 1 / 3, 0) * Matrix.CreateFromAxisAngle(rotAxis, angle);
worldMatrix = Matrix.Identity;
effect.Parameters["xWorld"].SetValue(worldMatrix);

m_Device.RenderState.FillMode = FillMode.WireFrame;

effect.Begin();

foreach (EffectPass pass in effect.CurrentTechnique.Passes)
{
pass.Begin();

m_Device.Vertices[0].SetSource(vb, 0, VertexPositionColor.SizeInBytes);
m_Device.Indices = ib;
m_Device.VertexDeclaration = new VertexDeclaration(m_Device, VertexPositionColor.VertexElements);
m_Device.DrawIndexedPrimitives(PrimitiveType.TriangleList, 0, 0, 5, 0, 2);

pass.End();
}
effect.End();

base.Draw(gameTime);
}
}
}

It usually crashes on m_Device.Clear because m_Device is disposed.I tried to recreate it but then it crashes on draw saying memory is corrupt.

#8 kal_jez   Members   -  Reputation: 152

0Likes

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:57 AM

Just a note on creating editors, you can add a winform to an XNA project, I'm just using a seperated winform window to handle my buttons and menus etc (just like a floating tools box)

ie

Just add a winform to the project and use the designer to add your buttons and menues etc.

Say you call the winform ControlForm then you add it as a variable to the in the main "game file"

ControlForm form;

Then in the Initialize section add.

form = new ControlForm();
form.Show();

I communicate from the winform to the xna project by using accesors in the winform
for a colour variable or to set the text in a text box.

Color backColour = Color.PaleTurquoise;
public Color GetBackColor { get { return backColour; } }

//Access the textbox
public String CameraTarget { set { CamTextBox.Text = value; } }

I read and write these in the update section of the XNA code.
To use dialog boxes I found you have to chenge the threading model to

System.Threading.Thread.CurrentThread.SetApartmentState(System.Threading.ApartmentState.STA);

and add [STAThread] before the Main delcaration in the Program file. (Program.cs) I assume this threading change is not great for games but for tools it sholud be fine.

I haven't invesigated using messages to communicate with the winform and the xna prog I tend just to use boolean and int flags.

#9 Machaira   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1028

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:39 AM

Quote:
Original post by Black Knight
Does any1 managed to handle the xna game window sizing?
It always crashes when the I size the height to 0.

Don't let the window be resized to 0. [wink]

#10 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 754

0Likes

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:04 AM

:) Well i just created a default XNA windows game and examined the sizing.It does just what you suggest when it is sized to 0 it gives the window a height of 1 :)

#11 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 754

0Likes

Posted 08 June 2007 - 10:41 PM

Here is what I got finally.
A XNA application using MDI forms.
I created an XNA game project and delete the game class completely then I added an MDI parent form.
I create a RenderForm in another project which is a game library.
The render form is derived from Form and IServiceProvider.
IServiceProvider is used to get the GraphicsDeviceManager which in turn gives the graphics device.I also implemented IGraphicsDeviceService and IGraphicsDeviceManager.These can be found on the net.

Then i added this render form by code to the MDI application and created the device and rendering.The render form also has a content manager so loading of sprite fonts and other contents will be done like that.

Here is a screen shot.

#12 Zygotemm   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:02 PM

[quote]Original post by Black Knight
Here is what I got finally.
A XNA application using MDI forms.
I created an XNA game project and delete the game class completely then I added an MDI parent form.....
[quote]

Nice work! :)

Ziggy
Ziggyware XNA News and Tutorials

#13 Black Knight   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 754

0Likes

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

:) Hehe thanks mate.
Your site is very useful too keep up the good work!!
I read through your XNA Winforms article many times :)

#14 Freshmaker   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:37 AM

Kal_jez, one thing you can do is just add event handlers to the control form that are found in the game form. For example, add Button_Click() function to the Game class, and then set frmContro.button1.click += new Eventhandler(Button_Click);

One question though, is where you are setting the threading model? You said in Main, but for me it always fails to change the threading, and it seems to work without it.

Thanks!

#15 gharen2   Members   -  Reputation: 520

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2007 - 01:28 PM

Note that xna does not depend on the game framework. If you're solely targeting Windows and find the Game class too inflexible, choosing to not use it is a very reasonable thing to do. The game class doesn't do anything magical that you can't do yourself. And as an MS developer admitted to me, the Game class isn't designed to be very flexible. It's just there so new users can jump straight in.

Manually initialising the graphics device is actually very easy. Much easier than managed directx. Incidently, you don't need to use the Game class on the xbox 360 either: you can just pass null to the graphics device constructor for the window handle.

If you're happy with your current method, by all means stay with it. I just mention this because I prefer the greater flexibility it gives you when doing something unusual like rendering to an external window or incorporating xna into an existing engine. When I try to do this with the Game class I feel like I'm trying to cram a cube through a round hole.

#16 Freshmaker   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:21 PM

If that's the case, then does the 360 see the app any differently than the PC in terms of how the device is setup? I have not compared the default code created from choosing a 360 and PC project, but I was under the impression that everything underneath was handled differently. Now I think about it, really, that should all be handled under the abstraction layer that is DX, and not within the C# code itself. Is there by any chance another thread of these conversations we can reference?

#17 gharen2   Members   -  Reputation: 520

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2007 - 09:45 PM

When setting up the device manually, the only difference between the pc and xbox is that in windows, you pass the handle to the window to the GraphicsDevice constructor, while on the xbox you simply pass null. Naturally you also need to account for different display modes between the console and pc, but you need to do that whether manually managing the device or not.

Here's a thread where I contributed a very minimalist example of using xna in a form.

For the xbox you'd pass null in place of form.Handle.

#18 JustHeath   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2007 - 07:35 AM

I'm interested in what people have to say about the approach to the problem presented by The instruction limit: http://www.zaknafein.hjcrusaders.com/?p=24

It has the obvious flaw of the programmer having to copy and post all the form+designer code from the Form file to the WindowsControl file, but the first comment posted on the page is interesting in that he says that this is not really necessary, however he does not expand much. Does anyone get what he is pointing out?

#19 gharen2   Members   -  Reputation: 520

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:02 AM

This blog entry is an example of what I was referring to: someone being too attached to the game class when doing something unusual. A ton of ugly hacks result, as seen there. Using reflection and manually duplicating the Game framework? Wow, that's ugly.

The nice thing is, you don't need the game class to implement the content pipeline. All the ContentManager class needs is an IGraphicsDeviceService to provide it with a GraphicsDevice.

class GraphicsDeviceService
: IGraphicsDeviceService, IServiceProvider
{
public GraphicsDeviceService(GraphicsDevice graphicsDevice)
{
mGraphicsDevice = graphicsDevice;
}

private GraphicsDevice mGraphicsDevice = null;

public GraphicsDevice GraphicsDevice
{
get { return mGraphicsDevice; }
}

public event EventHandler DeviceCreated;
public event EventHandler DeviceDisposing;
public event EventHandler DeviceReset;
public event EventHandler DeviceResetting;

public Object GetService(System.Type serviceType)
{
if (serviceType == typeof(IGraphicsDeviceService))
return this;
else
throw new ArgumentException();;
}
}

Then you create the graphics device manually as I showed previously. Then create the content manager as follows:

mContentManager = new ContentManager(new GraphicsDeviceService(mGraphicsDevice));

That's it, you now have a working content pipeline. I confirmed yesterday that this works on the 360 (finally broke down and bought one :P ).

Quote:
Original post by JustHeath
It has the obvious flaw of the programmer having to copy and post all the form+designer code from the Form file to the WindowsControl file, but the first comment posted on the page is interesting in that he says that this is not really necessary, however he does not expand much. Does anyone get what he is pointing out?

The commenter was right. Copying and pasting the code like that is sloppy (as is the rest of this guys code, I must say). He can just make the panel accessible through a property in the form. I don't know what the problem is with competing input focus: a control and it's parent window don't compete like that. What he describes would occur between say, a MDI child window and it's parent window, but not here. There are minor complications, such as the fact that keyboard input is received through the form, while mouse input is received through the panel, but that's perfectly manageable.

[Edited by - gharen2 on June 28, 2007 3:02:10 PM]

#20 JustHeath   Members   -  Reputation: 150

0Likes

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

What about a scenario where you have developed something integral to both the game and the editor (such as a tile engine) as a GameComponent? How do you compensate for something like that without either rewriting your code or writing a specialized version of the component for use without a Game object?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS