• Create Account

OpenGl and PS3

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bruno   Members   -  Reputation: 154

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:01 AM

Hi, This would be a question to people that are already working with a PS3 devkit. My question would be, how is the Opengl in the PS3 ? Let's supose i have an engine working in PC with opengl, how hard would it be to make it work in the PS3 (assuming i had the hardware, devkit,etc ?) thanks, Bruno

Sponsor:

#2 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6765

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:23 AM

OpenGL on the PS3 is based on OpenGL|ES (OpenGL for Embedded Systems) rather than classic desktop OpenGL. You can check out Khronos.org for specific information on how OpenGL differs from OpenGL|ES, but the basic philosophy of ES is to choose a single, efficient method to accomplish each function rather than the 2-3 ways OpenGL has gathered over the years. For example, the entire Immidiate Mode Begin()/End() paradigm is completely gone, among many other things.

PSGL is Sony's implimentation of OpenGL|ES with proprietary extensions to support shaders using nVidia's Cg shader language. OpenGL|ES 2.0, which supports shaders through GLSL, was not standardized at the time, which is the reason Sony went with this proprietary setup. They've made no formal announcement, but have said that they would develop PSGL 2.0, based on ES 2.0 and GLSL, if there was enough developer interest.

Most professional developers are using middleware or the other hardware API, which I believe is called CTM (Close-To-Metal), however.

#3 frob   Moderators   -  Reputation: 18845

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

Assuming you were to work on a major PS3 project, you would most likely be using one of the major companies' libraries. Perhaps it would be through EA, Ubisoft, or whatever publisher or studio you are in. In any of these situations, you will not be accessing the 3D hardware directly unless your job is to work on the game's graphics engine itself. It is often a very specialized job.

On the other hand, if you were on YellowDog Linux for PS3 doing your own indie work, then that is a different matter. In that situation, your app should run with reasonably few changes.

#4 S1CA   Members   -  Reputation: 1398

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2007 - 08:39 AM

Quote:
Original post by ravyne2001
[snip]PSGL[/snip]

Yep.

Quote:
Most professional developers are using middleware or the other hardware API, which I believe is called CTM (Close-To-Metal), however.

Yep. Hahaha!, CTM, love the name [smile]. Its real name is LibGCM and basically helps you build up, manage and kick the low-level/raw command stream for the GPU.

The idea behind the GL support is to both help people get something up and running in a short time and/or assist porting (and that doesn't mean a simple recompile and it "just works" - it just makes it a lot easier to port).

There is also an even higher level library, PSSG.

It's getting the most out of the Cell that's the tough bit if you want anything more than an obvious PC port.

#5 Ravyne   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6765

0Likes

Posted 21 May 2007 - 09:34 AM

Quote:
Original post by frob
On the other hand, if you were on YellowDog Linux for PS3 doing your own indie work, then that is a different matter. In that situation, your app should run with reasonably few changes.

On important difference, however, is that the 3D hardware acceleration is not yet exposed to PS3 Linux users (unless that's recently changed). I know there's an online petition for sony to provide at least basic 3D support (I've signed it), and I presume that there's some effort to port/optimize MESA or another 3D API for the Cell SPUs, which are exposed.

I don't know what the state of that effort is, assuming it exists, but I imagine that the Cell ought to be able to render Dreamcast/PS2 level graphics with the right renderer, and the PowerPC core ought to be more than enough for anything a homebrew coder can throw at it. I'd be contributing myself if I could afford a PS3 and had the time to muck around with it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS