• Create Account

- - - - -

01.02 - Enrolment Roster

• You cannot reply to this topic
724 replies to this topic

#1 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 08 April 2001 - 05:39 PM

Hi folks, and welcome once again. This is where you ‘sign on the dotted line’… reply to this topic and let everyone know that you’re alive and ready to do some serious game development. This is a great way for me to see who’s out there watching, and nothing warms my heart more than knowing that I’m not writing these articles for my own private viewing. Thanks for your support! Teej

Sponsor:

#2 Halek   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2001 - 06:23 PM

Wow, i never thought i''d be first to sign up on the second roll call.

But here i am. I wasn''t here from the very start, but i was up to date and a little beyond when the clean up took place.

Glad to see you back in action Teej.
Can''t wat to get started.

#3 Dragon Slayer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2001 - 06:26 PM

I like the new layout! I can't believe my luck in being one of the first people to sign up on the new roster. What a priviledge. I have also been here from close to the beginning and I look forward to the future of this message board.

Good luck, Teej.

Edited by - Dragon Slayer on April 9, 2001 5:27:12 AM

#4 skywalker   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2001 - 06:40 PM

Hi everybody,
You got one more here. Thanks a bunch Teej

skywalker

#5 Thek   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2001 - 08:08 PM

Hey guys,
I'm new to the GameDev community, and I'm loving what I see so far. Count me in as one more to defy our common curse of "inherent laziness." One question though, Teej: what's your motivation? I'm certainly not doubting your devotion to this project, simply wondering how you're donating time and effort to an unknown bunch of possible future game developers with nothing but your own mojo to keep you motivated. (Big sentence, eh?) I assume, since you wrote it, that you include yourself among those with "inherent laziness?" 8-)

Eagerly awaiting,
Thek

*EDIT* I realize that it could get chaotic if this post spawns multiple replies in the enrollment topic... feel free to reply via e-mail or in the comments/suggestions area (or not at all, if you choose). 8-)

"There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can''t."

Edited by - Thek on April 9, 2001 3:12:34 AM

#6 Taharez   Members   -  Reputation: 184

Posted 08 April 2001 - 08:36 PM

I'm still here, although a bit less frequently than before =) Got a lot of stuff to do before summer, both in school ( finals ) and at work ( deadlines! =) ). Look forward to some more of your exelent work, Teej, I'm sure there will be a lot more people with more time to spare than me.

btw, Happy Easter to ya all! ( a bit early, but I have a birthday comming up, so I don't know when I can check the boards again )

[edit]
Forgot to sign! =)
Taharez
[/edit]

------------------
It's me again!

Edited by - Taharez on April 9, 2001 3:49:22 AM

#7 CGMon   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2001 - 10:49 PM

Hey guyz

I''m here waiting and watching

Be good

Later

#8 leggyguy   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 08 April 2001 - 10:55 PM

Hi. I signed up in the last enrollment, and I''ll do it again now.
Just flicked through what you have gotten up so far, and it is all nicely coming together.

I have to say, this is a fantastic project. I don''t think I have seen anything this good for us "We now C++ quite well, but how do I turn it into a game?" people before. So many of us fit into this category, but no site has ever attempted to walk us through every step of the way like you are doing T. I am very impressed.

#9 Darkbringer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2001 - 11:07 PM

Thanks a bunch, Teej.

Just as I got started, reading the forum, it vanished under my feet.... yet it emerged back, five days later...

J)ourny Onwards.....

#10 wulf   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2001 - 11:21 PM

Ok, i''m in. I''m very curious about what you guys are offering. In time I''ll hope to be able to give you some hints in return.

Wulf

#11 Grayson   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 April 2001 - 11:52 PM

I am not entirely sure what I am doing here being that I have little programming experience. However, I have an innate desire to create video games, and that desire has led me to this forum. I hope I get as much out of this forum as I am hoping for right now, and I would like to thank all those involved in providing it.

--"Luck is something that happens to the prepared mind"

#12 23yrold3yrold   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 914

Posted 09 April 2001 - 12:15 AM

Wha....? Where''re the posts?

Oh well, I''m glad I got that source code when I did

I''m in. I''ve been doing this for almost a year now, but have picked up some good pointers. Tell me we''re not doing Tetris and Pac-man again. If I may suggest, what about a vertical shooter; them''s dirt simple. Or better yet, a horizontal one a la Gradius/R-Type with level collision detection.

My 2 cents. I''m looking forward to being here.

#13 d00dzs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 12:52 AM

Bring it on teej... I signed in the other enrollment but I will sign it here again.

I turn pixels into gold!!!

d00dzs

#14 pazu   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 12:54 AM

Here I am, yearning for every bit of information.

Ja ne,
Pazu
mailto: pazu@animegaiden.com.br

Close the world, open the neXt

#15 I Mephisto I   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 01:34 AM

I think it''s time to sigh in!

I''ve been using this forum for some time now, so the least I can do is letting you guys know that I''m using it.

By the way, i think this site is a great idea. Thanks, Teej!!

I Mephisto I

#16 khal   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 01:35 AM

Well, I''m a bit late, I think -- but I''ll catch up. Well, perhaps not all that late.

I''m a big game buff, and was very much impressed by your "Start Here" post. Man, you just don''t find enough people out there than share that insatiable passion to "create." It doesn''t have to be in video games, it can be anywhere...

So, I''ve got old DOS/Console programming knowledge in C/C++. Played w/ a few MUD programs before (mainly ROM & MERC) so I understand C pointers (somewhat), and advanced data structures. Tried my hand at Door programming (for BBS''s, if any of you are that old). Obviously, game programming isn''t a totally new concept for me, just that I''m somewhat antique. =)

You mentioned making games is "building dreams." And, I ruefully admit, that however passionate I feel on the topic, the business of "building dreams" is not a very profitable one. I agree that the gaming industry is among the few surviving industries out there (especially w/ 90% of technology industries taking such a huge blow these day -- have YOU been watching NASDAQ?!), however, the programmers are the least paid. Truly, those hauling home the hefty paychecks, are the graphics people, artists mainly. This is what I gather from poking around half-hearted at the professional game industry, so please correct me if I''m wrong!

In any case, to me, game programming is a passion and a personal goal of my life; however, not something to bring home the bacon. Being a young, new aspiring code junkie, I doubt I''ll ever stray far from my compiler in whatever ventures I choose to pursue; but I''ll more than likely end up programming systems to guide rockets, track airborn missiles w/ lasers, or something of the sort...

In closing, thanks to Teej, whose time & patience I very much appreciate, for accepting a new apprentice -- and passing on the art of dreaming...

---
~khal

#17 keltor   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 02:12 AM

On my way ....

#18 Hoside   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 02:56 AM

Definitly i think this is one of the best ways to learn.

#19 Piotyr   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 03:07 AM

Hey, back for more here as well. Let's get this party moving!

Oh, and while I'm here, gotta give props to Java. For those of you who haven't done much programming before, and can't afford one of those nice C/C++ development environments, Sun has everything you'd need downloadable for free, and the language syntax is similar to C/C++ (except WAY more OO, which lends itself nicely to games, IMO). I'm planning on doing any (well, the small ones) game projects in both Java and C/C++, so if anyone's interested in Java at all, I'll try to lend a hand wherever possible.

P.S. -- For those of you who think Java is horridly slow, try the VM's that have come out more recently than 1.1 -- night and day difference, seriously.

Edited by - Piotyr on April 9, 2001 10:14:15 AM

#20 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 03:26 AM

Hello, Teej;

I''m still out here, lurking around GDNet. Good luck with the resurrection of your tutorials.

PARTNERS