• Create Account

- - - - -

01.02 - Enrolment Roster

• You cannot reply to this topic
724 replies to this topic

#21 Vinnienerd   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 03:54 AM

Well...I hope I can use the knowledge "posted" from here, later when I code Quake ]||[

Thanks Teej

Sponsor:

#22 Beachside   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 04:24 AM

Kudos Teej-
When I''m creating a program it often takes a few false starts to get the design right before I can plunge in head first. Looks like the same applies to game dev forums. BTW since we''ve started I''ve enrolled in a C++ course at the University so I will no longer be wasting energy wrestling with the syntax. Let the good times roll.

#23 Geoffery83   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 04:53 AM

WOO HOO! ok so I just started but I''ll be right with all you I can''t wait to start. I''ve been looking for something like this for years! Then one day i decided I would type in the URL www.gamedev.net and I''m here! Teej I think you rock!

"Nothing changes and nothing stays the same"-Moody Blues - Jeff

#24 WildWest   Members   -  Reputation: 184

Posted 09 April 2001 - 05:46 AM

Hi guys!
I was on this this some weeks ago, before it was restructured. I know C++ quiet well and some basic windows programming. So I searched for some tutorials, but all I found were tutorials for absolute beginners or for professional programmers. Nothing between. But this site looked very good!! So I am back now and I hope that I can learn much.

WildWest

#25 dungeon_master   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 06:08 AM

I looked at this place for the first project, figured if I want to program games this is the way to learn. I''m a newbie to window programming so take baby steps...

Natro

#26 Commissioner   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 06:19 AM

Talk about excitement, Teej...

If you haven''t already, read the first few replies to this post and see how stoked people are to be one of the first to sign up! Everyone was very impressed when you started this the last time, and it is obvious that folks are glad to have this back. Once again, well done, and I will be replying to other posts soon.

#27 deadlock   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 07:41 AM

Wazzzzaaaaap!! Glad to see the tutorial up and running again. The new layout looks really great, and I can''t wait to see the new stuff (c:

Deadlock

#28 Black_Flag   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 07:41 AM

I have been teaching myself C++, and now that i have a firm grip on the language and started diving into various algorithms i have found it very hard to find a real outline on a procession
of learning. IE:

1) Learn C++ - all commands - write several programs with classes, file i/o and console i/o

2) Learn algorithms - sorting & data structures (tree, list, structs)

3) Learn ??? what next windows programming? matrix math? vector math? its kinda hard to know where to goto next when you don''t know where your going.

....so i home this forum will lead to those answers

so hi all... look forward to the knowledge

May your bugs be few and your food plentiful.

#29 Tiamat   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 08:01 AM

Well, Teej, bet you know that we''re out here now, ne? *smirks* I actually heard about your site from a guy who''s a technical director now at a gaming company, and he pointed a bunch of us here to learn from the great tutorials that you have. I''m looking forward to learning from you, and thank you for this opportunity. =)

#30 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 09 April 2001 - 08:18 AM

Hello,
I''m a Newbie - but I''m ready to start some serious learning and programming. I''m not quit sure how this online tutorial works so a procedural overview would be nice.

#31 limpan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 08:21 AM

I''m in for the kicks, I prefer to get them in my stomach and not the head, since that tends to disrupt my thought process.

Limpan

#32 un4que   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 08:32 AM

Well this is the first time I''ve ever posted anything, can you spell newbie! I''m very excited about this online tutorial and hope to learn a lot. I hope I did this right

#33 CrystalFire   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 08:38 AM

Hey there,

This is my first time posting at all. I haven''t done that much except on QBasic and a TI-83, so I guess that makes me a newbie. This tutorial looked like it could really help, so here I am.

#34 cliffhawkens   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 08:48 AM

I''m here!

(o= erydo =o)

#35 Todd Geraty   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 09:28 AM

I'm here too...

I've been lurking in the background for quite a while, and I just finished my own Tetris clone. I'm just doing some clean up and packaging it up now.

I used some of the information from the tutorial - but since I wanted to use DX8, most of it is from scratch. I've been learning a lot though, and these tutorials have been key - THANKS!!

BTW, I never looked to see how far you were with PacMan because I was behind you guys. Is there a way to see where you guys were and view the source? ...or is that coming as you get more time to finish the restructuring?

Thanks again for all your hard work!
Todd

Edited by - Todd Geraty on April 9, 2001 4:29:17 PM

#36 Narkster   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 10:11 AM

Teej, you''re awesome,

Heya all, I''ve just been tinkering with C and can do pretty much all of the basic stuff, cept file writing and I don''t get the use of pointers.....

Played with the Quake 3 SDK alot, I''m a quaker through and through...

That''s about it. Personally I am very thrilled about this forum!

L8R

#37 Wuntvor   Members   -  Reputation: 170

Posted 09 April 2001 - 10:12 AM

Well, sounds really awesome... Guess I''m gonna try it. I am not a newbie to programming, been programming for 8 years now or so, but I have yet to finish a game that is at least kind of big (mostly been doing small, useless programs to try out things). Well, I am really looking forward to this

#38 Mucman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 10:30 AM

/me signs on the dotted line.

It''s finals season for me right now, but once my calculus final is over I will be more relaxed to gone on this fantastic voyage of a tutorial

"You won''t get wise with the sleep still in your eyes." - Neil Peart

#39 feverpitch   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 April 2001 - 10:40 AM

I''m on your list

I''m hoping to devote a little more time to the tutorials this time round..

#40 prh99   Members   -  Reputation: 494

Posted 09 April 2001 - 10:43 AM

Still Here.

PARTNERS