• Create Account

- - - - -

03.01 - Q&A

• You cannot reply to this topic
120 replies to this topic

#101 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 08:39 AM

Yes, that did hellp..I am begining to understand now.
I tried Teej''s trick (the one with G struct and external ) and it worked with other files (like Utils.cpp )... well ...I think so, but I wasn''t sure WHAY and HOW it worked.
I am begining to understand now.
I''ll play a little longer with "#def''s and #endef''s" .. .

Thank you Weatherman ,you realy hellped me.
Mask.
P.S. Whay is math so important for me if I will be a programer
( hope I''ll be ) ?

Sponsor:

#102 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 08:39 AM

Yes, that did hellp..I am begining to understand now.
I tried Teej''s trick (the one with G struct and external ) and it worked with other files (like Utils.cpp )... well ...I think so, but I wasn''t sure WHAY and HOW it worked.
I am begining to understand now.
I''ll play a little longer with "#def''s and #endif''s" .. .

Thank you Weatherman ,you realy hellped me.
Mask.
( hope I''ll be ) ?

#103 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 July 2001 - 03:50 AM

quote:

If all you want to do in life is to code someone else''s carefully prescribed algorithms, then all you need to learn is some high school math and two or three computer languages.

But, if you want to work as a computer scientist (or any kind of professional in this field), then you will need a university degree(s) in subjects such as computer science, mathematics or engineering (for example).

Many computer science courses (at the university level) will have fairly advanced mathematics content. In many cases, you will wonder if the course work is more mathematics than computer science .

Why?

(a) Many of the most interesting applications of computer science are in science and engineering (for example: weather forecasting, astronomy, civil engineering and medicine).

(b) Computer science, itself, is based on a mathematical foundation (for example: behaviour of algorithms, problem analyses of various kinds, logic etc).

#104 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 July 2001 - 10:08 AM

Thank you for the explanations.You see, now is time for me to decide at what university to go, because next year i''ll finish
high school. I like very much programing and that why I asked you.I like olso math so ...there isn''y a problem
But now , a qst about VC++:
during the creation of my "magnificent" "MyTitres" ( you know is my version of Teej "Lines ''n Blocks" ) I got lost and
it will be realy nice if I''d had the "watch" and the F7 and F8 fro borland c++ to see where I am lost.. .
I tried with F10 and sow the watch but when it gets to the line where it
init. the app window the screen gets black and the compiuter
freezes .The "reset" buton is the only solution afther that....
So how can I "watch" step by step my DX aplication in vc++?

#105 saetrum   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 July 2001 - 03:07 AM

Hope you don''t mind me jumping in and giving a suggestion. I had the same problem, and really wanted to do a step by step debug of the program. Unfortunately, you can''t do the debugging you want in Full-Screen mode (unless you have 2 monitors). So you have to configure your program to run in windowed mode. This takes a little work, but it will then allow you to debug your code as you want to (step through, breakpoints, etc). There is an excellent article about it here . You can modify Teej''s code pretty easily to make it run in windowed mode, or make it so you can switch between windowed and full-screen mode. I am currently finishing my animation (little guy that shoots the bullet), but I am happy to send you the code I have to change to windowed mode if you would like. Also check the Directx DirectDraw samples, they have one called "Switching window mode" or "Switcher" which is an example showing how to do this.

Good Luck!

#106 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 24 July 2001 - 08:02 AM

I should mention that there are debugging techniques that can be used for full-screen applications, and although I use a few of them, I have yet to introduce them in the forum.

If anything, that''s a fault of mine -- debugging is very important! I''d better get to writing some debugging material that will help us all out as our projects become more complicated and robust...

Teej

#107 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 July 2001 - 09:24 AM

Saetrum:
You are not "jumping in " , and thanks for your replay.
Yes I''d like your code ( you mentioned that you could send it ),
so if you have the time ...please send it.
I am realy new to windows programing and , for the time being,
I try to make( read : I try to "copy"-"paste" and adapte Teej''s code ) somme standard functions for win and DX initialisation.
Teej:
So you do read all the messages... I don''t know how you can do
that ( and still have time for others things?!!??? )
Let me tell you ,great job !! .Keep it coming.
And how do I get to your web page to download basecode3b?
(Well, I am not cheating , I did my "homework" but I whant to see a profesional example... and mybe to "copy - paste " here and there.. )

#108 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 25 July 2001 - 04:40 AM

MAD_Mask: BASECODE3b is available here: http://members.theglobe.com/gdnteej/GAMEDEV/

Oh, and of course, anyone can download my versions of the exercises at any time, so the only thing they''d be cheating at is the fun of solving game development challenges!

Teej

#109 Diabolus   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 July 2001 - 12:04 PM

Edited by - Diabolus on July 25, 2001 12:37:51 AM

#110 _OdiN_   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 July 2001 - 12:27 PM

Diabolus: I dont know much the DirectX......i think that the code must be modified because you updated your DirectX......maybe the way that the Dx7 is initialized is different of Dx8.......

See you later!!

"Never desist of your objectives..."

#111 TheTramp   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 July 2001 - 11:48 PM

I have a question that is very easy (if you know the answer)

What is the program that Teej uses to make the really cool titles in the comments at the top of the files and where can I download it?

#112 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 30 July 2001 - 05:22 AM

TheTramp: The utility is called SKELGEN and can be found at:

www.fluidstudios.com

Teej

#113 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 31 July 2001 - 08:23 PM

Hi Everybody

I just wanted to say that just I posted my pixel manipulation "creation" over in that area (4.03). Its a little silly looking but LOL, I''m mighty proud of it, hahaha!!! (and I''d kindof like someone to see it!!) Plus, there are 2 little unsolved mysteries.....

And Teej- nice to meet you. Thank you very much for doing this-what a wonderful concept!! I''m lagging behind the class, lol, but no worries.... I''ll catch up in my own time.

bye for now.

#114 simulator   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 31 July 2001 - 08:26 PM

Ooopsss-

that Anonymous Poster just above - that was me!!!!!

#115 asylum101   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 November 2001 - 05:23 PM

hey everyone if we keep chatting in this forum it will stay alive so heres my question i drew some really cool grafics for a space alien game but there 24 bit depth i was wondering what i would need to change in the code to alow for this thanks go out to any one responds to this

#116 NewAtThis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 December 2001 - 12:35 AM

How do you execute an outside program from your progam?????
I made a pretty neat 2D game and I need to make an installation program. The installer will ask if a person has DirectX 7.0 and if they don''t, the installer will start dxsetup.exe, but I need to know the C++ command that does that.

#117 Moth   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 January 2002 - 05:59 PM

Okay, I realize this isn''t the most active board at this point, but I just got started on the tutorials and I''ve gotten stuck trying to compile the unmodified ''skeleton'' game that was in the first download. I''m using VC++ 5 and DirectX 8.1, and the error messages are:

GameMain.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "long __cdecl RestoreAll(void)" (?RestoreAll@@YAJXZ)
LIBCD.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main

And I''m clueless. Anyone still reading? Anyone know what''s going on here?

Thanks in advance for any help...

#118 azound   Members   -  Reputation: 124

Posted 15 May 2002 - 11:05 AM

I recently got Microsoft Visual Studio .NET Education Edition, and have tried to write my first C++ programs. Unfortunately, I don''t know how to compile my programs. If anyone else has visual studio .net, I would love for them to tell me how to compile. Is it a keystroke? is it hidden in the menus? a button?

Thank you

-Az

#119 gavin_burt   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 May 2003 - 11:41 AM

azound, I haven''t seen the Education Edition of Visual Studio.NET but with the regular version there is a menu option. If I remember right it is Build -> Build Solution. I can''t remember exactly but just look for the word "build".

#120 iNcOgNeT0   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:01 AM

Ok Im somewhat confused. When you are refering to C do you almost mean C++. You keep saying C is very powerful and one of the most powerful while C++ is way more powerful. The only reason why Im wondering if you are refering to both is because C and C++ are fairly different especially from a game programming prespective.

Live by the motherboard manual, die by the motherboard manual.

PARTNERS