• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

- - - - -

03.02 - Language Topic Requests

• You cannot reply to this topic
41 replies to this topic

#21 Hah Coe   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 April 2001 - 11:35 PM

People who wish to learn the basics of Windows programming, the data-types, etc...I found this helpful: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/gpgenesis1/

It goes into great detail and is very well-written.

Hah Coe

Sponsor:

#22 snakedevil   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 April 2001 - 03:05 AM

what the freak does "in progress" mean?

#23 snakedevil   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 April 2001 - 03:05 AM

what the freak does "in progress" mean?

I''''ll never look back, I don''''t have any regrets
''''Cause time doesn''''t wait for me
I choose to go my own way
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

#24 Schmacker   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 19 April 2001 - 01:54 AM

Liking it here Teej... looks good.

Something that I would like to see has already been mentioned, but Ill say it again, just to get it considered.

Could you do something on the VC++... cos I know the basics of windows programing, but I cant get it to actually run a window that I make... I just get it doing nothing, and I get lots of things in the debug saying ''no visual data found'' or some such....

opps more of a speal then intended, but oh well...

#25 Schmacker   Members   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 20 April 2001 - 12:42 AM

Oh well I fixed that problem... embarassing, but I think that it was just cos I was forgeting to put WS_VISIBLE in there to make it visable...

now Im getting another, but Ill figure it out...

#26 Shmmeee   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 April 2001 - 11:32 PM

I would like some kind of explanation as to what linked lists are and how to use them. I asked when I went on a C++ course and was told that I didn''t need to know them. Other than that this tutorial seems spot on. Keep up the good work Teej, your a top man

#27 ElCabong   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 25 April 2001 - 11:53 AM

Shmmeee - here''s what looks to be a pretty decent tutorial on linked lists:

Linked List Tutorial

(warning...if you''re not pretty good with pointers, linked lists will be difficult to follow)...

#28 FragLegs   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 April 2001 - 05:50 AM

I would love to see some information on inserting assembly code into one''s C code.

FragLegs

#29 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 30 April 2001 - 08:44 PM

I would like a tutorial about drawing splines. I think it would be cool to be able to draw basic 2-dimensional curved lines.

#30 RandomGamer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 08:26 AM

I would be interested in learning how to actually change a pixel without using an API. I don''t know how complicated or uncomplicated this is, but so far all of my tutorials/books just ignore that you actually can change the color of each pixel and only invest time in using ASCII characters.

#31 Crash   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 May 2001 - 05:12 AM

I know it''s already been mentioned and a link posted but I''d really appreciate an article on linked lists. This would be a huge help because there one of the few basic ideas I have no concept of as of yet.

But I will check that link out, too.

Crash,

We Must Move Forwards NOT Backwards, Sideways NOT Forwards And Always Twirling Twirling Towards Success

#32 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 07 May 2001 - 08:11 AM

asylum: Good idea -- I should try and get a ''Using MSVC'' article up there!

cliffhawkens: It''s good that you mention it -- no tutorial series should be without data types and all of those *ahem* wonderful typedefs. As for the OOP, well, we might evolve to that at some point, but not for the forseeable future.

Black_Flag: Some of the items in your list are already going to make its way into the tutorial articles themselves (i.e. sprites, 2D animation, sound). We have to be carefull when mixing 2D and 3D topics though -- 3D is a whole new ballgame (which I''d like for us to play in someday soon).

logicbomb and FragLegs: A little inline assembly never hurt nobody...but I''ll leave that for when we actually have a need for it (as part of an article or later topic). Oh, but I do like the idea of stack/heap memory and will consider that soon.

Shmmee and Crash: Although ElCabong is right, and there are tutorials out there for linked lists, I''m still undoubtedly going to give them fair treatment when the time comes to use them the first time.

RandomGamer: Don''t you worry -- we''ll be playing with pixels very soon!

I realize that I didn''t cover everyone, but I''ll always go through the entire topic when considering articles to write. Trust me, every comment helps.

I''ve got to get Pointers out of the way, and then I''ll hit one or two of these suggestions. Thanks all!

Teej

#33 RandomGamer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 May 2001 - 01:55 PM

Sweet... I''m going to have to go out there and buy that video game programming book with a copy of the learners edition MSVC++ compiler so that I can follow along... I''m tired of having to figure out ways around my compiler''s incompatability.

#34 RandomGamer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 May 2001 - 06:58 AM

I''m also interested in learning techniques for randomly generating things (ie. maps, levels, sprite placement on maps, etc.) I don''t know if you''ll be getting into this, but it would be cool to hear about. I''m sure it would be similar to AI techniques, but still.

#35 JOL   Members   -  Reputation: 160

Posted 09 May 2001 - 07:37 AM

I really liked the idea about heap vs stack memory and calling conventions for functions, and why passing a value to a function and in that function taking the pointer to the value and returning that, Why is that a bad idea ? :D ....

I know the answer but a lot of people doesn''t and that is just such a fundamental thing that it should be dealt with, and also understanding this is great for understanding of why a function call inside a inner loop is a bad idea.

#36 feverpitch   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 May 2001 - 08:16 AM

I have looked through the posts and haven''t found this suggestion specifically but loading and manipulating bitmaps would be a big help for me.

I really don''t know how you manage to find the time to do what you do. Well done, I have a hard enough time keeping up.

#37 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 22 May 2001 - 06:04 AM

feverpitch: Thanks! I''m sure that some people who are right on my tail wouldn''t agree that I''m ''keeping up with it'' as well as they''d like, but hey, I''m trying my best.

As for loading bitmaps, there''s a (new) article up called 04.04 - DirectDraw Surfaces that looks at loading bitmaps (and dumping them into DirectDrawSurface objects).

Teej

#38 joruli   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 June 2001 - 11:29 AM

What is a mud? I''ve seen it two or three times now in posts.

Thanks!

#39 Ible   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 June 2001 - 03:55 PM

MUD stands for Multi User Dungeon. I was originally used to describe text-based online games with multiple simulaneous players, and now applies to things like EverQuest.

"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
-Japanese Proverb

#40 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 July 2001 - 10:32 AM

Hello Teej! great job...so far....

I have a question :
What is a "template "? I am from Romania and I am thinking that
maybe this word can''t be translated in may language so pls ,
give me somme sinonims....

Mask

P.S. I subscribe to Black_Flag''s list . So hellp as much as you
can ( read: if you have time )