• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

2D Graphics and Sprites in Win98? (Newbie)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 November 1999 - 04:21 AM

Hi everyone,

I want to be able to load a 2D graphic of SVGA quality as a background and then move other sprites (with the same quality) over this background. ( similar to the PanzerGeneral or Heroes of Might and Magic format )

I already have seen this done with DOS console type applications, and compiled and tested such programs. I was just wondering if there are any good books that might explain a similar concept BUT, be able to do the above at various screen resolutions.

I have done some small graphical things with MS Visual C++ like a TicTacToe program that has resizable graphics, however this has only been possible using the built in drawing functions provided with the compiler.

I seem to have lost my way with being able to find information on scaling (sp?) backgrounds and sprites.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sponsor:

#2 Machaira   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1028

Posted 03 November 1999 - 02:07 AM

Check out the DirectX SDK. There is built in functionality for resolution changing and scaling. If you need a sample post a reply and I can e-mail or post something.

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 November 1999 - 04:21 AM

Thanks!

I just picked up a copy of "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus".

The book ships with a copy of the DirectX SDK and other goodies as well

Looks promising.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS