• Create Account

- - - - -

02.06 - Introducing DirectX

• You cannot reply to this topic
55 replies to this topic

#21 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 07 May 2001 - 07:45 AM

RandomGamer: Sorry that I can''t help you with BCC...there must be some people out there that have it working...anyone?

Lord Maz: Well, it''s been over a week. Is the download finished yet?

Teej

Sponsor:

#22 murphed   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 May 2001 - 12:53 PM

Is it possible to get the DirectX SDK on CD-ROM? Such as PC magazine CDs etc?

#23 Third Eye   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 May 2001 - 02:33 PM

Hi, I''m having quite a bit of difficulty downloading the DirectX 7.0 Online Documentation from your website, Teej. Would it be possible for you to email it to me, or do you know an alternate place that I could get it (and preferably the Word format)? Thanks!

#24 hoverX   Members   -  Reputation: 123

Posted 07 May 2001 - 04:43 PM

As far as i know ( i haven''t checked in a while) the SDK can be ordered on CD format. You just have to pay the shipping cost (under $10)

#25 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 07 May 2001 - 05:18 PM

Here''s a link to the DirectX 7.0a SDK if anyone is interested...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/isapi/gomscom.asp?TARGET=/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=16927

#26 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 08 May 2001 - 02:58 AM

even better people, paste this into getright:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/win98SE/SDK/7.0/W9X/EN-US/dx7sdk-700.1.exe

#27 ANDRiYkO   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 June 2001 - 05:14 PM

If there is no DirectX8 documentation, what is this below.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?releaseid=25675

I may be wrong.

- ANDRiYkO

#28 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 05 June 2001 - 10:40 PM

Hi all!

I''m really confused! Everywhere I go, programmers tell me, that directX is fully down-compatible... Last week I made my first steps with DirectInput and tried to create a Input-Interface with CreateDirectInputEx() which should work in 7.0 . I use the SDK8.0 and the Compiler don''t accept this code... It will only work with CreateDirect8Input() ... why is this so an is there a way to use the 7.0 functions? ... many of my books related to DirectX are for Version 7.0 and so its really boring to always look up, what the functions in 8.0 are named...

Something else... Im so VERY HAPPY i''ve found your tut, Teej! Wow, this is the best stuff related on game-programming evers seen. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

(Hope, there are not too much mistakes in here... ;o] im a guy from austria, so english is not my mothertongue... be patient with me

Greetings, Wolfgang

#29 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 June 2001 - 04:02 AM

Hello, Wolfgang;

Try putting the following code at the beginning of your Globals.h file:

// These tell DirectX which versions we intend to use.
#define DIRECTINPUT_VERSION 0x0700
#define DIRECTDRAW_VERSION 0x0700
#define DIRECTSOUND_VERSION 0x0700

Good luck.

Edited by - Weatherman on June 6, 2001 11:08:06 AM

#30 Minion   Members   -  Reputation: 118

Posted 10 June 2001 - 04:18 PM

DirectX is backwards compatable. And on the whole DirectDraw being overhauled ordeal: I read somewhere (I think it was somewhere on GDNet) that DirectDraw is still available, it''s just not being updated now that both graphics objects of the API have been combined. I may be wrong though.

#31 xjussix   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 June 2001 - 07:57 AM

Should I set the DirectDraw from the Control Panel to use Retail or Debug versions? When playing games, Retail-files are so much faster, but should I use debug-files when programming dx-apps?
Hope you guys understand

#32 mjs8472   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 June 2001 - 11:00 AM

Hi everyone... I''m new to the forum, and I think the tutorial looks really promising. I''m trying to download DirectX 8.0a from the Microsoft web site, and I''m having all kinds of problems. Help!

First of all, I know I need the user DLLs and the developer’s SDK. I went to MS''s Downloads section, Graphics and Multimedia, DirectX, DirectX 8.0a SDK. I''ve been trying to do the download from there all day. A few times it crapped out on me partway through (probably because of my occasionally cooperative ISP). Twice I''ve managed to get a 35 MB file named dx8a_sdk.exe, but when I try to open it, it says:

"Zip file is damaged, truncated, or has been changed since it was created. If you downloaded this file, try downloading again."

Been there, done that, banged my head against the wall. Is it me? Has anyone else seen this?

Also, if I somehow get this to work, where else do I need to go to get the user DLL''s?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks -
Mike

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Klinger + Sloan = Section 39

#33 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 June 2001 - 11:06 AM

mjs8472:

You can get the DirectX 8 SDK on CD-ROM from Microsoft for the cost of shipping (about $8.00 US, I think). It includes everything - samples, documentation, retail/debug versions etc.

Why bang your head against the wall?

#34 mjs8472   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 June 2001 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

I was hoping to just spend one day downloading the SDK, instead of several days waiting for them to ship me a CD. And I was hoping that my download problems were common enough that someone out there might know what I (or Microsoft) was doing wrong.

Anyway, at this point I''d settle for getting the CD. But I can''t find such a CD anywhere on their site. And judging from the comments posted to the 8.0a download page, other people don''t think the CD exists either.

So I guess my question becomes: for all of you who''ve successfully acquired DirectX 8.0/8.0a... howdja do it? Did you do what I did, except that the download actually worked? If not, can you provide the URL from where you got it?

Thanks -
Mike

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Klinger + Sloan = Section 39

#35 Dionysis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 June 2001 - 05:58 PM

mjs8472,
Try using a program like GetRight, GoZilla, or Download Accelerator so you can resume your downloads

#36 mjs8472   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 June 2001 - 03:33 AM

Thanks Dionysis.

Is the DirecX 8.0a SDK download file dx8a_sdk.exe really 137 MB? Am I only getting 35 MB because my ISP craps out? The last time I tried, the download window suddenly jumped from about 25% done to 100% done, and it acted like it had finished a normal download. My ISP's connection was still intact. But I got a corrupt or incomplete zip file again.

Sorry to keep going on and on about this, but I'm dead in the water until I get this resolved...

Mike

Edited by - mjs8472 on June 13, 2001 10:35:21 AM

#37 Dionysis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 June 2001 - 08:58 AM

mjs8472,
Yep, the full SDK is 137MB... I''m not sure why your download would jump from 25% - 100%, try using one of those programs I mentioned and see if it continues doing it.
There''s also a download for the partial SDK on the microsoft site so you can download it in pieces and only take what you need. For example, you don''t need the Visual Basic related files if you''re not gonna be using it, so this might be a better alternative for you

#38 mjs8472   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 June 2001 - 01:51 PM

Dionysis,

Since my last post I've arranged to get the entire DirectX 8.0 download from a friend. But thanks for your help.

Mike

Edited by - mjs8472 on June 13, 2001 8:53:32 PM

#39 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 28 June 2001 - 04:18 AM

I could use some help installing the DirectX 8.0 SDK. When I am in the middle of installing it, it gets to 22% complete then it jumps to a dos screen (sets up the Visual Studio compiler environment), and comes back and says I''m finished. Even though I chose a complete installation, I am missing half of the samples, the common files, the DirectX Control Panel utility, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Saetrum

#40 Tempest   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 14 July 2001 - 11:34 PM

Hi folks. I''m getting a late start here, and am coming around a little slow. I have a question concerning DirectX. If I currently have DirectX installed on my system due to the games I play using it, is it necessary to get the download stuff, or how does it work? I''m very embarrassed to ask this, and it may seem dumb to most of you, but if someone could tell me if there''s a difference in where the programs we will create look for the information they need for the code, I would really appreciate it. I guess what I''m asking is, is all the stuff inlcuded with the SDK files separate from the DirectX stuff installed on your system when you install a game that requires it? Thank you very much.

PARTNERS