• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

- - - - -

02.06 - Introducing DirectX

• You cannot reply to this topic
55 replies to this topic

#41 Piotyr   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 15 July 2001 - 02:05 AM

Tempest: To answer your question, the DirectX files that are installed on your machine to play some games are called the runtime files. These files are required to run any game with DirectX. However, the SDK includes developer files, such as header files and static libraries, which are necessary to develop software in DirectX. So, the roundabout answer is yes, you need the SDK, or else the compiler won''t know how to handle the DirectX-related functions.

Sponsor:

#42 Tempest   Members   -  Reputation: 138

Posted 17 July 2001 - 12:33 PM

Thank you for the response.

#43 milkywayman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 24 July 2001 - 04:12 AM

i really need help guy ...really....i have reaD THE WHOLE ARTICLE AND THE RESPONSES 2 TIMES and i still dont really know what i need to have.....

ok i have direct x8.0 in my system...does this mean i will have to download the direct x7.0 sdk files?

also teej i have a problem accessing you webpage....yoou might want to check it for errors...

thnaks in advance.

#44 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 25 July 2001 - 04:32 AM

milkywayman: If you have DirectX 8.0, it includes all previous DirectX versions automatically, so you''re OK. Note that there are two parts to DirectX: The runtime DLLs (what''s already on the OS to play games with), and the SDK (Software Development Kit) which you need to develop games with. So, make sure you have either v7 or v8 of the DirectX SDK.

As for my webpage, make sure you''re using the newest link:

http://members.theglobe.com/gdnteej/GAMEDEV/

One of the very first topics at the top of the forum list contains the most current webpage at all times, so check there if you''re having problems.

Teej

#45 riz   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 08 November 2001 - 01:19 PM

yo guys,
with win XP out and all, i''ve got dx 8.1 installed. About to install the Dx8 SDK from MS'' website. ANd I found the dx8 for C/C++ programmers documentation on msdn.microsoft.com but I can''t find the documentation for dx7. Anyone have it? or do you need to download the whole dx7 (older) sdk, just to get the docs out of it?

this forum is beyond amazing BTW

riz

#46 Woodyb23   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 10 December 2001 - 04:36 AM

Wasup peoples,

I am really stuck now because I dont know what components I need from Direct X. Can somebody please direct me in which files I need for the basecode to compile? Thank you. My email is bwoodsie@yahoo.com

#47 Odywan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 February 2002 - 02:02 PM

Yeah.. we need the files for this project. Teej said he was hosting the directx 7.0 doco. As his website isn''t working, would someone be kind enough to point us to a place on the net where we can get them?

Cheers,

Ody.

#48 Odywan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 February 2002 - 02:09 PM

Looks like most of the files are at http://www.sfu.ca/~dbrokens/index.html

The only broken link I could find was the directx 7 help files

Hope this helps,

Ody

#49 jastoh   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 February 2002 - 05:57 PM

first of all, i want to thank teej for doing such a great job. since i have found your tutorials, i didnt even care to look for others anymore. anyway i have quite a big problem. maybe not. i have finished downloaded dxsdk ( 134mb ) and when i extract the files. one file was corrupted. its a .cab file. the name of the file is dxxpchk.cab and its 9 mb.

well i still manage to finish the installation but i have ignored that file. is that file important? can anyone please send it to my email jastoh@yahoo.com ? or if it is not possible, can anyone please put this file on their server so that i can download it. after i finish, u can delete it. i really need that file so please help me because i really want to design games. thanks to everyone.

#50 jastoh   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 February 2002 - 05:59 PM

sorry to bother again but i must say that teej and others who gave replies or ask questions are really doing a great job to give newbies like me motivation. thanks a lot.

as for teej, i cant get your dxsdk7 help files. where can i get them? does the dxsdk8 help file help?

Edited by - jastoh on February 10, 2002 1:02:24 AM

#51 gaussuk   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 April 2002 - 09:30 AM

directx 7 sdk, approx 140meg from

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?URL=/code/topic.asp?URL=/msdn-files/028/000/123/topic.xml

#52 EvilNando   Members   -  Reputation: 92

Posted 21 May 2002 - 02:43 AM

Is still teejs web page online??? can get to it!
im downloading directx 8.1 sdk but I want the documentation of 7.0 as teej said but is anywerelse besides his page for download it?? thanks

Just remember there are three types of ppl in this world: those who can count and those who cant
peace

#53 The Ampersand   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 June 2002 - 11:21 AM

How big is the DirectX 7 documentation? If it''s reasonably sized, will somone who has it send it to me via AIM, or something like that?

My AIM screen name is ThirdEyeXII

#54 neonfaktory   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 03 October 2002 - 10:17 AM

Hey, I was wondering if this is the DX7 Documentation I need here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=12471
I wanna make sure I got the references I need - Thanks

[EDIT] Hey wait a sec, if I got the 122mb Compressed DX7SDK here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=12098
should I already have the documentation bundled WITH that, as Teej mentioned something about?

weee!

[edited by - neonfaktory on October 3, 2002 5:29:20 PM]

#55 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 25 October 2002 - 08:13 AM

For anyone interested, you can download the DirectX 7.1 documentation here: http://www.pandasoft.demon.co.uk/directxsdk.htm

It''s only 14mb and seems a better option than getting the entire SDK :D

#56 hellz   Members   -  Reputation: 356

Posted 05 May 2003 - 04:45 AM

You can get the documentation here as well: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e0acd716-233b-413a-ae84-c9c2025bb06b&DisplayLang=en

Check out the popular downloads section on the Microsoft site, and there''s all sorts of DirectX related downloads there.

--hellz

PARTNERS