• Create Account

Is Lucid Dreaming Bad?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
34 replies to this topic

#1 enigmaticcoder   Members   -  Reputation: 296

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:13 PM

I have been having lucid dreams for quite some time now, and I wonder if there are any negative repercussions resulting from lucid dreams. Although many lucid dreamers advocate the activity (including Stephen LaBerge), I think there may be some negative side effects to the phenomenon. For instance, I frequently wake up from lucid dreams especially if I breath in too quickly. And can it be good for a person to have all of their wishes come true in such a vivid fashion? I wonder if this esoteric practice has been researched enough to advocate it so strongly as LaBerge advocates it. Sorry for the loaded question, but what do you think? Are lucid dreams bad for one's body or mind? Oh, and I also wonder if they are inherently immoral... but let's save that for another day. [Edited by - anothrguitarist on January 25, 2008 8:46:05 PM]

Sponsor:

#2 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3685

Posted 22 June 2007 - 03:13 PM

No.

Wet Dreams, however...

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#3 Bossk   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:09 PM

I had a friend who lucid dreamed once. And he ended up dying.

So I suppose with that kind of sample group, yes, it's quite dangerous.

#4 Raymondo   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

I find that if you take unisom extra strength sleep gels, you can get great lucid dreams. 50mg ea. If you take say, 150-300mg, you'll get totally fucked. Out of body, ego loss, etc.So if you can't die from that, I'd imagine you cant die from a non-drug induced lucid dream.

Speaking of which, try taking like 4 unisoms, what you're experiencing now is merely the tip of the AWESOME iceberg.

#5 BITWISE CHE   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:20 PM

If you continue dreaming, I see nothing but a future of pure and utter evil coming to you. Why not aid your fellow man instead and end these silly, irrational notions that you call "dreams"? Come together with him and work for the greater benefit of all.

[Edited by - BITWISE CHE on June 23, 2007 1:20:21 AM]
"I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting."

#6 Uthman   Members   -  Reputation: 480

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:42 PM

as you have said, i doubt enough research has gone into studying the lasting effects of habitual lucid dreamers. for now, the best advice is probably moderation. experience lucidity sometimes, and other times allow some dreams to run their course --- which i think is even HARDER to do especially if you are conciously aware that you are dreaming

#7 enigmaticcoder   Members   -  Reputation: 296

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:56 PM

Quote:
Original post by Uthman
as you have said, i doubt enough research has gone into studying the lasting effects of habitual lucid dreamers. for now, the best advice is probably moderation. experience lucidity sometimes, and other times allow some dreams to run their course --- which i think is even HARDER to do especially if you are conciously aware that you are dreaming

Yes, that is why I bring up this topic... I can't seem to stop having lucid dreams. Not necessarily because I enjoy them so much, rather I seem to have them naturally now. Perhaps if I more forcefully deny them, they will cease. Of course that may be difficult...

Edit: Err, I'm kind of contradicting myself there... What I mean is that it may be difficult to forget about them and such

#8 Raymondo   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

Quote:
Original post by Uthman

And you're qualified to post commentary on this, how?

EDIT: Oh right, you're a doctor. Me too.

Dx: You're an idiot

Rx: Fist your mother

#9 Uthman   Members   -  Reputation: 480

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:12 PM

eh? i was just commenting as a member of this community o_O''

the previously stated comment is my opinion and ideology -- do things in moderation.

anyhow, i myself have also had a 'lucid dream' stage in the past and from my own personal experience, the capability to achieve lucidity is like a muscle -- you have to work on it in order to make it stronger. and if you leave it alone for long enough... well, like all other muscles........

#10 Bossk   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

I lucid dreamed my way out of a Mexican standoff once, so in a way it saved my life.

#11 Iron Chef Carnage   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1840

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:53 PM

Lucid dreaming is bullcrap, but it isn't harmful. It makes you a little bit lame, like the guy who wears a cape to play PnP RPGs, but it doesn't do anything bad to your psyche. More than anything, lucid dreaming is a mode of introspection (assuming the phenomenon is real, which I somewhat doubt, despite having practiced it myself for several months.)

So, in conclusion, don't stress too much about it, unless your fear is that you'll become a hippie mystic dork, which is a very real danger.

#12 Roboguy   Members   -  Reputation: 794

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:57 PM

Quote:
Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Lucid dreaming is bullcrap, but it isn't harmful. It makes you a little bit lame, like the guy who wears a cape to play PnP RPGs, but it doesn't do anything bad to your psyche. More than anything, lucid dreaming is a mode of introspection (assuming the phenomenon is real, which I somewhat doubt, despite having practiced it myself for several months.)

So, in conclusion, don't stress too much about it, unless your fear is that you'll become a hippie mystic dork, which is a very real danger.

What does lucid dreaming have to do with mysticism? And why don't you think it exists?

#13 Iron Chef Carnage   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1840

Posted 22 June 2007 - 09:11 PM

There's no way to know whether you're really having a lucid dream or whether you're just having a normal dream about lucidity. It brings up old free will issues.

The fact that people treat a lucid dream as a parallel universe inside the mind where you have the powers of a god is what causes many devotees to get a little weird about it, and I classify that sort of belief and behavior as "hippie-assed bullshit".

#14 Sandman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 2136

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:16 PM

Quote:
Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
The fact that people treat a lucid dream as a parallel universe inside the mind where you have the powers of a god is what causes many devotees to get a little weird about it, and I classify that sort of belief and behavior as "hippie-assed bullshit".

Lucid dreams are just dreams in which you are sufficiently 'awake' to consciously direct the events of the dream. I don't see it raising any more questions about the nature of free will than simply being awake.

I also don't quite get your connection with mysticism either. Maybe you've just been unlucky enough to come across some complete dorks who also happen to be interested in the subject. Most people I've come across are perfectly capable of talking about lucid dreaming without coming across as hippy weirdos.

#15 Sneftel   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 1781

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:16 PM

Lucid dreaming killed my cat.

#16 RivieraKid   Members   -  Reputation: 375

Posted 22 June 2007 - 10:35 PM

if it doesnt require drugs your probably ok. I don't think your body is very good at naturally killing itself (bar aging).

hitler practiced lucid dreaming!

#17 Toolmaker   Members   -  Reputation: 935

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:16 PM

Lucid Dreaming is a state of mind in which your body is asleep with a wakened mind. Nothing dangerous about it. I had plenty of lucid dreams when I was nothing, and I came out of fine(I was already messed up, so don't worry, that's normal).

As a kid, have you ever had wild (day) dreams? Did you die from it? No, and nor will lucid dreaming kill you.

Toolmaker

Toolmaker salutes mother Tiberia[My website] - [My Dune II Remake Dev Blog]/* -Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.*/

#18 Funkymunky   Members   -  Reputation: 691

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:16 PM

the thing with lucid dreaming is its ties to enlightenment... so to ask "can it be good for a person to have all of their wishes come true" seems suspect

#19 Ainokea   Members   -  Reputation: 435

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:24 PM

Sometimes I will lucid dream every day for weeks and sometimes not at all for months. It hasn't affected me at all. Lucid dreaming isn't something new and no one has died from it yet.
Quote:
Original post by RivieraKid
hitler practiced lucid dreaming!

Oh shit! You may not die but you may get urges to take over Europe and exterminate the Jews!
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.

#20 Iron Chef Carnage   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1840

Posted 23 June 2007 - 05:05 AM

Beware jewcide dreaming.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS