• Create Account

I found a use for AOL discs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
22 replies to this topic

#1 Remnex   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 April 2001 - 05:45 PM

Where I live we have a Circuit City and CompUSA and stuff. So, my friends and I went to each of these stores and took about 25 AOL discs each. What is cool is that the cd cases are DVD cases! So, I use them for all my CD-R''s that I buy on the spindles. I just flip over the cover and can label the case. Pointless I know, but you can finally use them! ------------------------------ "I''m a decorated astronaut, I don''t make those kind of mistakes." "Oh now wait a minute. Look I''ll show ya. I''ll enter the same calculations using what we like to call ''The Right Way''." -Rem

Sponsor:

#2 Mr Cup   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 April 2001 - 07:12 PM

My cousin turns them in to guitar pics, apparently they work quite well. My favorite is the frisby. Its a real weapon.

As Mr Cup always says,
''''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''''

#3 GameNazi   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 April 2001 - 12:48 AM

My brother seems to have an unlimited supply of those damn things that he hurls across the room at me when he feels like inflicting pain. I of course retaliate by throwing any of the few hundered coins I have sitting around my desk...

-Brad
http://www.geocities.com/bradley326/

NO GAME FOR YOU!

#4 Cyberdrek   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 13 April 2001 - 12:57 AM

quote:
Original post by Remnex

Where I live we have a Circuit City and CompUSA and stuff. So, my friends and I went to each of these stores and took about 25 AOL discs each. What is cool is that the cd cases are DVD cases! So, I use them for all my CD-R''s that I buy on the spindles. I just flip over the cover and can label the case.

Pointless I know, but you can finally use them!

-Rem

I have a friend that created himself a wall of CD using the silver surface of the AOL CD. It''s actually pretty nice but I wouldn''t do it.

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Product Activation Technology!

#5 Andrew Russell   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1382

Posted 13 April 2001 - 02:20 AM

My school makes mobiles (sp?) out of them, and hangs them on the celing (sp?) of the libary

ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS

#6 Paul Cunningham   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 April 2001 - 04:24 AM

Let''s not forget the tradition use for these damn things: Drink costers.

If everythings possible then it becomes impossible to have the impossible so not everything can be possible right? Or if everythings possible then the impossible no longer exists. Is that possible?

#7 felisandria   Members   -  Reputation: 739

Posted 13 April 2001 - 11:07 AM

Recipe:

2 AOL CD''s
1 kitchen towel (fuzz-free if possible) Paper can work too, as can light cardboard. The point is to keep melted plastic from gluing to your iron.
1 iron, preheated.
1 ironing board.
1 table edge or other good 90 degree edge

Lay the kitchen towel on the ironing board, flat. Place one AOL CD on the towel, fold the towel over it. Try not to wrinkle.

Take the iron and start moving it across the CD until it gets hot and slightly pliable.

Move the towel containing the CD to the edge while it''s hot, and bend the CD at the middle to a 90 degree angle. Don''t force it, if it doesn''t go willingly heat it some more, though try not to melt the thing utterly. Not like you don''t have another 3 dozen of them to try again until you perfect the technique tho. *shrug*

Use as bookends or CD case ends. For larger books, glue 2 of these CD''s to each other to form a T.

Also, parrots love AOL CD''s to play with.

-fel

#8 JonnyQuest   Members   -  Reputation: 331

Posted 13 April 2001 - 11:28 AM

quote:
Original post by felisandria Also, parrots love AOL CD''s to play with.

They do? I know three parrots that''ll get new toys tomorrow

- JQ
Infiltration: Losing Ground
"Simpson, eh?" -Mr. Burns
"Excellent!" -the above

#9 manutd   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 April 2001 - 02:45 PM

quote:
Original post by JonnyQuest

They do? I know three parrots that''ll get new toys tomorrow

lol...

:: Jamie Interactive ::

#10 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1235

Posted 13 April 2001 - 04:29 PM

Where the heck do you guys get all those free CDs? Maybe they just don''t ship as many to Canada...

#11 Chimaera   Members   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 13 April 2001 - 05:38 PM

Even though me and my friend both use AOL constantly (I''ve had the same SN for five years), just for talking with other friends, we both have a profound hate for Steve Case and his company.
One day I was at his house, which was getting increasing boring and we found a couple sitting around. Sooo.. we picked ''em up and went to the kitchen cabinet, to find some matches. Lucky there was a whole box full, so we went outside and tried to light a few to start a small ceremonial fire. Unfortunatly that morning the wind was too strong and the matches couldn''t stay lit long enough to burn the CD. We went back in and dumped a little bit of white-out all over. At first it was just to mock the cover of the CD, but we later decided that it might help us start a chemical fire. Once again, that didn''t work.. so we went back to a primitive idea. We tossed the CD out in the grass and stoned it repeatedly until it was smashed into oblivion. We took the remaining parts and tried to glue them to a tree (My psychotic friend''s idea), threw them out in the street, spit on them and then shoved them in an enemy''s mailbox. Lot''s o'' fun on a boring day. =)

In Tech-Ed at school our teacher glued a bunch of CDs to a wall in the computer room as a design. Looks pretty neat. My brother also smashes them apart and uses them as guitar pics when he runs out. Says they work better than the actual pics.
I''ve never heard of the book-end idea with the iron. Sounds like a really good idea. I think tomorrow I''ll go try that. =P

// Chimaera

#12 furby100   Members   -  Reputation: 102

Posted 14 April 2001 - 03:13 AM

I get constant AOL CDs and LineOne CDs as well. If you crack a CD down the middle (they''re surprisingly tough) you get a nice sharp edge which you can use as a self defence weapon.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

www.directdeveloper.co.uk

#13 CpMan   Members   -  Reputation: 532

Posted 14 April 2001 - 04:37 AM

I cut little notches around the edges so it looks like a chinese star an throw them at my aol freak sister

#14 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1235

Posted 14 April 2001 - 05:24 AM

Hey, I just thought of a usefull idea for aol discs:

Take about 20 (or more) of them and glue them so they form a kind of a roll. Give it to a local animal shelter and call it an animal toy. I am sure some cats could claw it apart or something.

#15 gavco98   Members   -  Reputation: 372

Posted 14 April 2001 - 05:54 AM

If you are getting sick of all these AOL discs coming through your mailbox every month, try reading the back of them, and you will see the following text at the end of the tems and conditions

"If you do not wish to recieve such mailings in future please tick this box and return the disc to XX Street, Anytown []" etc..

I suggest you try it! Personally i like getting these AOL cds, the way i see it is that AOL are spending a pound per disk, so the more discs they send me, the more money they are loosing, maybe soon they will go bankrupt!

G Coates
------------------------------------------------------------

Windows: The only virus with a GUI!

#16 _Buster_   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 April 2001 - 07:11 AM

I use them as coasters. Has anyone tried "Return To sender"? What if we all did that. I mean got everyone in the US to do that! hahahahah it''s payback time!

_BUSTER_ www.crosswinds.net/~dotspot

Check out my for sale domain name!

http://www.theatermonkey.com

#17 Liquid Darkness   Members   -  Reputation: 496

Posted 14 April 2001 - 08:52 AM

quote:
Original post by Cyberdrek
I have a friend that created himself.

cool

------------------------
Captured Reality

#18 Liquid Darkness   Members   -  Reputation: 496

Posted 14 April 2001 - 08:55 AM

quote:
Original post by Chimaera

"Even though me and my friend both use AOL constantly..."

// Chimaera

I''m so very sorry.

------------------------
Captured Reality

#19 Remnex   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 April 2001 - 09:23 AM

When we took all those CD''s out of the cases, the somehow ended up flying out the car window. Odd how stuff like that happens.

I just feel bad for that poor guy mowing the lawn in front of our mall. He never saw it comin.....

------------------------------
"I''m a decorated astronaut, I don''t make those kind of mistakes."
"Oh now wait a minute. Look I''ll show ya. I''ll enter the same calculations using what we like to call ''The Right Way''."

-Rem

#20 J2xC   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 14 April 2001 - 11:03 AM

those things are tough bastards to break in 2...
''nuff said

J2xC (J. Connolly)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS