• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Wanted: Book recomendations

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 derwiath   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 November 1999 - 05:43 AM

Hay there!
As you all know christmas is soon here and it is time to begin to consider what artifact you should fool your beloved ones to buy for you. I thought I would wish myself a book
teching me how to create 3D-graphics in
Windows. But there is a lot of books out there on this subject, which one should I choose or which type of book should I choose.
Should i go for book covering a specific API
or should I go for one covering the general subjects of 3-dimensional graphics??
The API's I see as probable candidates for my attention is Direct3D and OpenGL, since they are what my graphic-card supports.
I have done some 2D graphics(a simple tetris clone ) with directX so I don't have to worry about learning WIN 32 API or the basic's of computer graphics. The languages i currently know is C/C++.
If any of you exprerienced guys(or girls) out
there have any suggestions at all about this
it would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
/Derwiath

Sponsor:

#2 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2307

Posted 12 November 1999 - 04:07 AM

Have you looked in our book reviews section? There are some suggestions in there. Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice is the bible of computer graphics. It's gradually getting dated, but nearly everything in there is still applicable. It's also not tied to any API (it uses a graphics package that really isn't used anymore). Note that this is written as a textbook, so it's not always the easiest read.

Also, I haven't yet read John de Goes 3D Game Programming With C++, but it will be out by the end of the month, and the author has a good track record. It uses Direct3D IM. Also worth considering is the OpenGL Programming Guide, which is really good, and it assumes no previous graphics programming experience.

[This message has been edited by Myopic Rhino (edited November 12, 1999).]

#3 CJ   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 12 November 1999 - 11:11 PM

I don't know how I do it, but I always have the recommended books here at home.

My 3d graphics stuff is like:

- Cutting Edge of 3D Game programming
- OpenGl programming Guide
- Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice
- Black Art of Windows Game Programming
- Computer Animation
- Computer graphics
- Gardens of Imagination
- Inside DirectX

and quite some more *sigh*.....

------------------
Dance with me......

#4 derwiath   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 November 1999 - 03:16 AM

Hi again!!
I think I'm going to get two books, one
for each API. Figured I have to learn them both anyway

1. 3D game programming with C++.
2. OpenGL programming guide.

Thanks guys for the advice.

/Derwiath

#5 Coolhand   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 13 November 1999 - 05:43 AM

If you don't own Foley/Van Dam, then you are not a 3D programmer!!!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS