• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

cell phone jammers

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
17 replies to this topic

#1 GekkoCube   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:14 AM

Has anybody ordered (or made) one of these before? I'm sitting in the library here and there's this couple who just sat down and apparantly think this library is their office. They keep making business-related phone calls. I really wish i had a phone jammer at this time. It would also come extremely handy during movies as almost every theater has atleast one who keep yapping away on his/her phone. Im concerned about importing one of these because the U.S. customs might fine me for it. So the best thing might be for me to make it. Can anybody help me out?

Sponsor:

#2 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1882

Posted 05 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

Such devices are illegal in most parts of the world.

If you have a problem with someone, just act like a jerk and yell at them about it.

#3 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 05 July 2007 - 08:15 AM

These are massively, massively illegal. If they're not stopped at the border, someone from the FCC will send Feds to your front door to haul you away to Gitmo.

Theaters here just apply lead paint to their windows and trust the other moviegoers to beat cell phone snobs across the back of the head.

Cell phone jammers will endanger public safety, and homemade ones will be even worse. I cannot stress this enough.

#4 Zahlman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1682

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:26 AM

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Cell phone jammers will endanger public safety

Er, how, exactly? The world seemed safe enough before the invention of the cell phone, yes?

#5 Sneftel   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 1781

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:48 AM

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Cell phone jammers will endanger public safety

Er, how, exactly? The world seemed safe enough before the invention of the cell phone, yes?

Yes. And now police and firefighters use them.

#6 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 127

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:55 AM

Surgeons on call, too, as well as people involved in an accident calling 911. It's part of why the FCC is there, not to mention that a crappy homemade cell phone jammer might blot out large chunks of actually useful frequency that's used for, say, police radios.

#7 caseyd   Members   -  Reputation: 276

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

Or you could simply make one yourself.

Note that this only violates just about every FCC regulation.

#8 GekkoCube   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:39 PM

Thanks caseyd.

Of course im aware of this being illegal. But once i get my hands on such a device, it'd be impossible for the fed's to track me down. In fact, as long as im discrete about it, itd be impossible for anybody to know the device is in my pocket. Besides, once phones around me in the movie theatre are scrambled, those idiots will just assume they can't get a signal. They cant talk on the phone, which means me and a bunch of other folks end up being happy.

Think of it like Batman. sure it's illegal to run thru red lights with a jet-engine powered vehicle in the city, but Batman actually does something about the problems in the world.

Note: i will not be importing any illegal device for fear of fcc or customs or whatever federal department seeing it (me) as a threat (yeah right).

#9 CTar   Members   -  Reputation: 1134

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:49 PM

Quote:
Original post by GekkoCube
Thanks caseyd.

Of course im aware of this being illegal. But once i get my hands on such a device, it'd be impossible for the fed's to track me down. In fact, as long as im discrete about it, itd be impossible for anybody to know the device is in my pocket. Besides, once phones around me in the movie theatre are scrambled, those idiots will just assume they can't get a signal. They cant talk on the phone, which means me and a bunch of other folks end up being happy.

Think of it like Batman. sure it's illegal to run thru red lights with a jet-engine powered vehicle in the city, but Batman actually does something about the problems in the world.

Note: i will not be importing any illegal device for fear of fcc or customs or whatever federal department seeing it (me) as a threat (yeah right).

You do realize that it can result in fines of up to $11000 and 1 year of imprisonment right? (assuming you're in the US) I don't know much about these kind of things, but according to Wikipedia if they're crudely designed they can disturb medical devices like pacemakers. Also you might jam people outside the theater, people who think they are reachable. People who needs to be picked up might sit right outside the theater and wait for a call, but never get it. These people will be incredibly annoyed when they find out they have been waiting for an hour because you jammed they phone.

If batman ran through red lights, knocking a car over once in a while and sometimes hitting pedestrians because he needed to kill a fly someone found annoying then I would consider it wrong of him to do so.

I can't stop you from doing it, but I think it's a terrible idea.

#10 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:53 PM

you terrist your trashes will be messed up by the feds! youll see.

#11 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:55 PM

Quote:
But once i get my hands on such a device, it'd be impossible for the fed's to track me down.

Lol, noob. [smile]

Quote:
In fact, as long as im discrete about it, itd be impossible for anybody to know the device is in my pocket.

Lol, nooblar!

Quote:
Besides, once phones around me in the movie theatre are scrambled, those idiots will just assume they can't get a signal. They cant talk on the phone, which means me and a bunch of other folks end up being happy.

And when someone is having a heart attack in the theater, sitting in the front where nobody notices him and he needs to dial 911, but can't, thus dying only to be discovered when the theater closes for the night, will you have enough of a conscience to feel bad?

Quote:
Think of it like Batman.

No. Batman is fiction. His world is contrived to make his side the side of righteousness. The real world is a lot more complex. For instance, someone sitting near you may be called by someone in an emergency, or it might be an expensive international call the person can only afford to make once. Because you don't have the fortitude to stand up and ask the assholes making noise to be quiet and respect the library, you intend to block thousands of legitimate cell phone users daily (though, I'm sure, disabling your jammer so you can use your phone when you want to - assuming you have one).

Grow up. Learn to deal with some inconveniences, and learn to assert yourself. It'll go much further for far less trouble.

#12 Prinz Eugn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3677

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks caseyd.

Well, I think the difference between you and Batman is that you're going to be endangering people's lives for personal enjoyment, while Batman usually did it to stop schemes that risked an entire city gravely.

Oh, and BATMAN ISN'T REAL.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

#13 Sneftel   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 1781

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

Not to mention, his parents were killed. Find a solution involving a little less passive-aggressive and a little more spine.

#14 Driv3MeFar   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1076

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:41 PM

Quote:
In fact, as long as im discrete about it, itd be impossible for anybody to know the device is in my pocket.

You're right, discretion is key here. You certainly wouldn't want to discuss your plans on, oh, I don't know, a public forum or anything like that. That'd just be stupid [rolleyes].

#15 Programmer One   Members   -  Reputation: 746

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:30 PM

Quote:
Original post by Prinz Eugn
Oh, and BATMAN ISN'T REAL.

WHAT??? OH GOD!! NOOO!!!

On topic...

If you want to be useful, build a cigarette jamming device.

#16 Extrarius   Members   -  Reputation: 1412

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:36 PM

Can anybody find anything about reporting violations on the FCC website?

#17 DukeAtreides076   Members   -  Reputation: 602

Posted 05 July 2007 - 03:49 PM

Willful or Malicious Interference Complaints

#18 caseyd   Members   -  Reputation: 276

Posted 05 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Quote:

If you want to be useful, build a cigarette jamming device.

Yes! This would be much more useful. I would put it on my one year old so no one could smoke around him.

I also do not condone this for all of the reasons said beforehand even though I posted a link to such a device. It is against my personal philosophy to restrict the rights of another individual in this manner. If I needed to use my cell phone I would be very upset to find it was being jammed by someone that likened what he was doing to some type of altruistic super hero.

Comic book characters wear masks because they are cowards and give us the illusion that it could be us in their costume. Be a man ( or woman ) and an adult. If it bothers you say something.

On this note, there are few places that cell phones shouldn't be used. Just because it disturbs you, doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed. I was at a Borders book store once sitting in a corner near a few other people when my phone vibrated ( I always keep it on silent ), since it was my wife I answered as quietly as possible. The man near me gave a look and very haughtily said I should go somewhere else. I calmly responded that it was not a library.

More often than not, there usually isn't a problem until someone decides to make it a problem. I don't know how many professors I have that simply don't even acknowledge phones any more. It takes too much time from them and the rest of the class to acknowledge someone forgot to turn their phone off instead of just plowing through. The people are usually embarrassed enough and get plenty of stares from peers.

If you want peace and quiet, don't go outside!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS