• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Free 2D RPG sprites?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 Toolmaker   Members   -  Reputation: 935

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:32 AM

I didn't know what forum to ask this on, so I went for the lounge. Mods: Feel free to move this to the appropriate forum. I'm aware I'm working already on a game(Which I'm going to finish), but I sometimes want to tinker around with some other things aswell. I always wanted to make an RPG kind of game, so I want to tinker a little bit around with making a simple ending RPG engine. What I'm mostly looking for are characters(mainly a male / female) with some additional clothing / hair and weaponry. But, it has to be freeware, since I don't want to pay for a project in which I'm just going to tinker around. Any ideas on this? Toolmaker

Toolmaker salutes mother Tiberia[My website] - [My Dune II Remake Dev Blog]/* -Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.*/

Sponsor:

#2 Ravuya   Moderators   -  Reputation: 131

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:50 AM

One of the guys on TIGSource made some prototype sprites that might be very useful.

#3 Emmanuel Deloget   Members   -  Reputation: 1381

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

Can Reiner's tileset do the job?

#4 jfclavette   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:44 AM

Have a look at DanC's miraculously flexible game prototyping tiles.

#5 Toolmaker   Members   -  Reputation: 935

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:57 AM

Quote:
Original post by jfclavette
Can Reiner's tileset do the job?

That looks pretty sweet. But, I should have been more clear: I actually want a started male/female character, and layer the gear on top of that, so that I can have a different looking characters made up from the basic components of a body, a top, bottom, shoes, hair and hat.

That way I could have say like 5 tops, 5 pants, and 5 hair types, and mix these together. That way, my character looks differently and it actually brings forth the RPG element where you can buy a better piece of armor in the shop.

I have no idea how this works out performance-wise, esp. when having say 50 characters like that on screen(Just for test, I might add a multiplayer feature in later on). But, the monsters and other stuff look really good. I'll seriously use those for the other things.

Quote:
Have a look at DanC's miraculously flexible game prototyping tiles.

You were beaten by Ravuya [grin]

Toolmaker

Toolmaker salutes mother Tiberia[My website] - [My Dune II Remake Dev Blog]/* -Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.*/

#6 jfclavette   Members   -  Reputation: 1058

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
I have no idea how this works out performance-wise, esp. when having say 50 characters like that on screen

Just render to texture after the character generation and save that. No performance hit at all.

Quote:

Oh Snap!

#7 Toolmaker   Members   -  Reputation: 935

Posted 16 July 2007 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea how this works out performance-wise, esp. when having say 50 characters like that on screen

Just render to texture after the character generation and save that. No performance hit at all.

Quote:

Oh Snap!

I just want to figure out how much it will hit the performance when I already cached an assload(lol, I said ass) of other images. But, neither of the image sets so far have different bodies / clothing / weaponry that I can swap.

Toolmaker

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS