BoulderDash gameplay

Started by
4 comments, last by lutas 23 years ago
I have already created a BoulderDash clone (aptly named PebbleDash) and its got a small number of downloads (about 15-17000). Anyway, my major concern is the sheer amount of mail I have had asking for an updated version using 3D (seems to be the norm these days...) My worry is I don''t quite know how the hell I am going to make a BoulderDash clone that is 3D. Surely if I make it true 3D then the entire gameplay is ruined (IE you could get attacked from all angles - even if it is kept tile based, there will still be front,back,left,right,above and below whereas the 2D version was just up,down,left and right and easy to see!) If I used this idea, all I can think off is to use something like Aliens where you get radar beeps the closer the enemy gets to you... The other option I have thought of is to just have a 2D based engine like BoulderDash is meant to be and then just display 3D models... Sorry if that was a bit confusing (you probably have to have played BoulderDash to even start to realise what I was blabbering on about). My main question is does anybody have any ideas/improvements that I can use? Philip Lutas CEO of Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Advertisement
Some games just weren''t ment to be made into 3d.

BoulderDash is one of them.
Dig Dug is one.
Pong is another.

If people keep insisting on a 3d version maybe do something in an isometric view. But I just can''t see it either. Maybe a few of these people have a vision of what it should be and you could get some feedback from them.
Nah, these people are all of the ''3D is better than 2D'' variety. I personally would like to keep it in 2D so I think I''ll just stick with nice (possibly pre-rendered) 3D Models to use wo the complicated 3d stuff heh

Philip Lutas
CEO of Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Actually, I believe there is a 3D version of pong around. I forget the name, but I do remember that it lasted about 10 minutes on my system. Unplayable cr*p.

When deciding on the graphics engine to use, always consider what the gameplay needs. If it won''t work well with a 3D engine, then don''t use one.

Virtual Worldlets, the home of online worlds
Virtual Worldlets.net, the re-designed, re-built, and re-launched,
rapidly expanding home of online, persistent worlds
Boulder Dash does not need 3d. What you could do is the same as with pong3d, keep everything as it is, just make a 3d-engine (same camera, animated models instead of sprites...).
But if you ask me keep it 2d, it´s less labour-intensive and looks just as good.
I would keep it 2D also. Some people out their that play games think everything has to be 3D. Well their is some games that are not made to be played 3D. I personally woundn''t like playing Blackthorne in 3D and like it in 2D. The oringinal Pitfall was 2D and I like it better that way. I love 3D games just as much as 2D games. I think it is good for a gamer to play both 2D and 3D games to become well rounded at gaming.

Windows 98/SE SUCKS!
Deal with it!
if(windows crashes)
run Linux
else
yea right!!

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Product Activation Technology!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement