• Create Account

Interested in a FREE copy of HTML5 game maker Construct 2?

We'll be giving away three Personal Edition licences in next Tuesday's GDNet Direct email newsletter!

Sign up from the right-hand sidebar on our homepage and read Tuesday's newsletter for details!

We're also offering banner ads on our site from just $5! 1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

How can I animate my character in VB ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 02 December 1999 - 05:38 AM

I have created a sprite file in PSP 5 and saved it as a bitmap. I also created a mask but now my problem is how do I animate him so the mask dosen't show ? I am unsure of BitBlt and am fairly new to VB and am making a game for fun. All I need to do is animate him with the background where the pink is. Can anyone help me write a routine to do this?!

Sponsor:

#2 Woop   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 December 1999 - 04:41 AM

I also am new to writing games. My approach (I have warned you you see, I am sure there are better ways) is to create seperate bitmaps for each stage of an animation. Hard work you say, well I guess so.

These could then be collected in a single bitmap file. When you run your program this bitmap could be loaded into an offscreen buffer. Then when you wish to animate, you can just copy the area that contains frame 1 of the animation from the buffer to the screen, then do the same with each frame in turn.

Just a suggestion. As I say there are bound to be different (better?) ways.

Woop

#3 ghowland   Members   -  Reputation: 134

Posted 02 December 1999 - 05:34 AM

Creating an array of sprites is definitely the easiest way to handle this, its fast too, so there arent a lot of disadvantages.

You can also either parse the array from a standard Windows BMP upon loading, or pre-parse it into a data file so that you dont have to do those operations every time you run the game (faster, but you have to keep converting your art when you make changes).

-Geoff

#4 Woop   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 December 1999 - 05:38 AM

I hope you're still reading Geoff.

Okay so my reply 'works' but it is probably rather 'amateur'. But then that is my current position.

Could you possibly expand on the 'pre-parse into a data file' comment. I know what parsing is, but what you have mentioned is something I know nothing about. Alternatively if you can suggest anywhere I might be able to read up on this, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Woop

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS