• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

3D Landscape Map Storage

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
1 reply to this topic

#1 Dæmin   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 04 December 1999 - 04:02 AM

Hi, I'm curently making a 3d RTS game which will utilise a 3d terrain for the units to use. And I have one small problem. I am unsure of which way to store the map. It will be made of triangles wholly, so one idea is to store the height values for each point (They all make a grid) and then store the additional terrain information for each triangle, I'm wondering if anyone ahs a better way of storing this data, if so then please tell me

(No code necessary) - Thanks in Advance

------------------
-Dom:)
Visit - http://www.eisa.net.au/~sdgrab/index.html

Sponsor:

#2 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 04 December 1999 - 04:02 AM

That's exactly how I did it for E-mersion ( www.connectii.net/emersion ), and how most landscapeengines do it. And IMO, unless you're using a dynamic perlin-noise map or other parametric defined terrains, you're best off doing it the way you just described.

HTH,

-----
Willem H. de Boer
Programmer, Davilex Game Dev. Deparment
www.davilex.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS