• Create Account

- - - - -

02.07 - The Readiness Test

• You cannot reply to this topic
215 replies to this topic

#41 Sturm   Members   -  Reputation: 124

Posted 26 April 2001 - 04:53 AM

Is D your CD-Drive and what exatly r u running from the CD?

-- Sturm

---------------------------------------------------
Life after death? No thanks, I want to live NOW
--- Sturm 2001

Sponsor:

#42 polomint   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 06:57 AM

I am getting the same problem as you, higgencreuz. I'm not so sure that it is a problem with ddraw.lib. Maybe VC is playing up. If you find out what the problem is then can you please email it to me. Or even post the solution here...

Thanks a lot.

System: VC++5 (fully installed to HD)

HEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!

John

Edited by - polomint on April 26, 2001 2:17:02 PM

#43 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 26 April 2001 - 07:49 AM

Hmm, sounds like a hard problem.

From what I can gather, it seems as if the LIB file doesn''t contain the interface that the header file is describing. Give this a try: I''m going to throw the EXE for BaseCode1, and let''s see if you guys can get it running. Head over here and grab it.

Let us know...in the meantime, I''ll keep looking into it.

Teej

#44 polomint   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 08:27 AM

I''ve tried the bascode1 exe file on your website Teej, but all I get is the error message...

ERROR
DD_Init Failes : 7

I''ve tried re-installing the DX8 runtime, restarted system numerous times, but still it won''t work....

Good luck finding this problem.

One question though. Does this problem arise just with VC5? or does it also happen with VC7/BC5.02 etc?

John

#45 darkpunk   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 11:24 AM

Hey guys,

Just a note after all my previous side interests, mine compiled fine. I am using Direct x 7 and VC++.

Now I had DirectX 8 SDK before and i always got problems trying to compile direct draw programs that compiled fine on my friends computer who had DX7. I deleted 8 and reinstalled 7 and everything works so long as I link everything properly.

Perhaps you should dig up your old DirectX 7 cd and reinstall it. If it aint broke dont fix it.

MIKED

#46 Higgenkreuz   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 01:03 PM

Sturm: my CD-Rom drive is E. The only thing that is running from it is (as far as I know) the include and lib libraries, plus the help files.

Teej: I tried running codebase1.exe on my machine, I got: Initialization ERROR
DD_Init failed: -7, same as polimint.

Polimint: happy to hear I am not alone :-)

Darkpunk: DirectX 7.0 was my first choice, but can''t find it anywhere. Microsoft only has ver 8.0. I am sure that would solve my problem but do you have any ideas where I could download it from?

Anyway, thanks guys for your input, will let you know as soon as I found out anything.

#47 asylum101   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 01:14 PM

ok well i bet im doing something totally wrong but when i tryed to compile gamemain.cpp like it says in the artical i got the stated compiling errors so i checked under tools/options/directories and my directx include dir was already there followed by my project directory so i got the idea to put all the necisary lib h and dll files needed in my proiject directory and add them to my project but that dosent work heh i have no clue what im doign wrong so if anyone could help i would much appreciate it

#48 Higgenkreuz   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 01:24 PM

Here is something straight from the mothership - the MS documentation that came with the SDK ver 8.0:

- Visual C/C++ 5 compatibility in DirectX 8.0 depends on Service Pack 3 for Visual Studio 97. If you see the following errors:
"fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full: cannot seek to 0x389bc8bf"
"Internal error during Pass1"
then you need to upgrade your Visual C/C++ 5 installation. Service packs for Visual Studio can be found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/sp/vs97/full.asp

This is a 100MB download.

Once installed, it did fix the problem.

Edited by - higgenkreuz on May 22, 2001 12:01:25 AM

#49 polomint   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 01:32 PM

Cheers for that Higgenkreuz, I''m going to try it now...

Lets pray it works!!!

Polomint

#50 Piotyr   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 02:07 PM

This might be a trivial detail, but make sure the file "resource.bmp" is located in the same directory as the executable you''re executing. If it isn''t, that DD_Init() Failed message will appear. Just trying to rule things out here.

#51 Mitijea   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 04:08 PM

Hmmmm.... Teej,
Seems I can't download the zip... Your webhost says Site Not Found. I did download the exe, though. I tried, on a whim, to download the word format link, same File Not Found. Any ETA when this will be back up? Or did I just come at a bad time, and need to check back later.
BTW really like what you've got up so far. Keep up the good work.
Aside - For those that need the service pack, number 5 now, for VStudio (VC++) this may help. You can order it if you dont want to download the huge file, it's free (as long as you have a registered copy), but you pay s&h - about $5.35.. I just got mine, only took a couple days to get here.

Edited by - Mitijea on April 26, 2001 11:35:05 PM

#52 polomint   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 26 April 2001 - 10:24 PM

Yup, resource.bmp is located in the same directory as the exeutable. I''m gonna install vc++ sp3 later and see if that cures the problem. If not, then I will have to download sp6 for vc++ and try that.

Cheers

Polomint

#53 Piotyr   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 April 2001 - 03:09 AM

OK, pondering here, because that error code -7 would indicate it was failing when loading the bitmap. (Thanks for adding those error codes Teej, makes debugging a LOT more feasible) Anyway, if you are running the executable through the VC++ workspace/project, then resource.bmp needs to be in the same folder as your workspace, be it BaseCode, or whatever you called the folder for your project. If you are just clicking on the executable to run it, then the resource.bmp file needs to be in the same folder as where the executable is, whether it be Release or Debug, or wherever you have VC++ creating your executable. It''s 2 different situations, but either of those done incorrectly is causing the problem. You might try running a debug session in the basecode, and find out what the Utils_LoadBitmap function is doing, and figuring out where that is failing.

#54 polomint   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 28 April 2001 - 03:01 AM

I have just installed VC++ SP3, and everything has gone wrong!!!

Whenever I start VC++5 it gives me the errors below! HELP! Does anyone know what I can do to solve this. I have reinstalled SP3, VC5 etc.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Polomint

ERRORS
------

Cannot load package ''devdtg'' because its internal version number or the internal version number of one of its components, does not match the Developer Studio Shell.
Do you want to continue [OK]

When I press [OK], I get this error !

TITLE: DEVDTG
The required file cannot be loaded. Please re-install Microsoft Developer Studio. [OK]

Thanks all

#55 coderX03   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 30 April 2001 - 11:20 AM

Somebody help me please!!!! For some reason, when i go to Teej''s page my comp won''t let me open up the links so i can''t download the things that i need for this project. If someone could just e-mail them to me that''d be great thanx.

--coderx--(premature name)

#56 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 01 May 2001 - 07:37 AM

Greetings, Teej. Thanks for constructing this tutorial. I began today to study it but, when I reached the Readiness Test page, I found that the file BaseCode1.zip is not available on your website. Could you fix this please?

Thanks much!
Shep

#57 Teej   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 176

Posted 02 May 2001 - 10:38 AM

Sorry everyone; my local copy of the website was on the broken computer, so I tried to hack together a copy of it from my work computer. Apparently, something went wrong.

Tonight I''ll be at home with the computer up again, and will make sure that the website links work. Also, I''ll have more time to comment on some of the problems you''re all having here.

Hold on...

Teej

#58 RandomGamer   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 11:33 AM

I can't run my compiled version. I'm using Borland's free compiler BCC version 5.5. I can get the downloaded version to run perfectly, but when I try to compile and link my own version it comes up with an error at runtime that says "Game has caused an error in Game.exe. Game will now close. If you continue experiencing problems, try restarting your computer." Restarting my computer didn't work (and I didn't expect it to). I have a feeling I'm compiling it wrong. What I did first was insert the lines following lines into WinBase.cpp file:

#include
#include "gamemain.cpp"
#include "initterm.cpp"
#include "utils.cpp"

Then I went on to compile and link WinBase.cpp. I used the Lib files that were said to be for Borland's compiler, too, and I have the directx8a runtime dlls installed. Anybody got any advice?

Edited by - RandomGamer on May 2, 2001 6:55:23 PM

#59 Fighterdude   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 May 2001 - 03:53 AM

can anyone tell me why basecode1 won''t download it just says the file can''t download?
can someone help me Please!

#60 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 06 May 2001 - 02:25 AM

Hey all!

Thanks Teej for you great interactive tut. Keep up the good work.

Fighterdude, I having the same problems. Looks like Teej`s web provider have deleted his files, or he has himself. I realy hope he gets those file up and running soon, so I can continue the my quest to become a game programmer hehe

Well have fun everyone.. Happy coding....

PARTNERS