#121 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 01 July 2001 - 10:19 AM

Spaul : thx for that .

For every body :

but now I have a new problem ( beside that I do not know to write
very well in english )
linking error:
bla bla : "unresolved external symbol _main" ....bla bla
1 error , but is suficient to stop me .Haw do I get rid of this error...?

So "F1" (hellp ) again..... I am lost

Edited by - MAD_Mask on July 1, 2001 5:33:02 PM

Sponsor:

#122 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 July 2001 - 02:59 AM

quote:

linking error:
bla bla : "unresolved external symbol _main" ....bla bla
1 error , but is suficient to stop me .Haw do I get rid of this error...?

MAD_Mask: Go back and read article 02.03 - The Basic Windows Application.

The error message "unresolved external symbol _main" should be a dead giveaway - you are trying to link a Windows program using main() as the entry point. Windows uses WinMain() instead. This is all explained in Teej''s tutorials.

Good luck.

#123 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 03 July 2001 - 08:38 AM

quote:
Original post by Weatherman

MAD_Mask: Go back and read article 02.03 - The Basic Windows Application.

The error message "unresolved external symbol _main" should be a dead giveaway - you are trying to link a Windows program using main() as the entry point. Windows uses WinMain() instead. This is all explained in Teej''s tutorials.

Good luck.

Ok , so I read the chapter (again), I understend, in theory ,
what is the problem ,but ....haw do I get over it...

#124 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2001 - 09:28 AM

Replay to replay .....

Sorry about those anonymous messages...I am not yet used to post
( and to write in english) but I am geting used to.

And by the way, what exactly does "should be a dead giveaway" means?

And how do I make the readyness test files from Teej to compile and link with 0 errors ....?

And how exactly, do I get the wonderful mesage
" 0 errors " at this readyness test?
I whant to be ready!

Edited by - MAD_Mask on July 3, 2001 4:44:51 PM

#125 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 July 2001 - 10:30 AM

MAD_Mask:

If you are using Microsoft''s Visual C++, then you create a new project from the "File" - "New" menu.

Make sure that you select "Win32 Application" so that you create a Windows application. If you choose "Win32 Console Application", then you will create a C++ (non-Windows) application.

From the error message that the linker provided, it is probable that you accidentally created a console application instead of a Windows application.

Examine your code. A Windows application start something like this:

int APIENTRY WinMain(...

A console application will start like this:

int main(...

When I said "The error message ''unresolved external symbol _main'' should be a dead giveaway", I meant that the symbol "_main" was unresolved by the linker. Since "main" is the name of the entry function for a console application, it would appear that you created a console application by mistake. ("dead giveaway" is a phrase that means "obvious" - of course, nothing is all that obvious in programming and I should have used another phrase instead).

#126 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 July 2001 - 09:21 AM

THX very much weatherman ,you were very patient with me, a beginner in win programing.
You were right that was the problem and it was very nice from you to post me..and "F1" me
THX again!!!
The thruth is that I have ( a litle)
expiriance in dos programing with c++ ( I even made with a friend
a game in pascal ) but in windows ..for me that is still a problem.And I made also a few programs with MFC but that is not such a big deal( ok they were small programs based on tutorials but I understanded the general idea. But when it comes to make a
win32 aplication from the scrap I seam to be lost.
So please tell me if you know from where I could download some
good tutorials or maybe a book about windows programing
I read the beginers section and I sow somme very nice books there but not for free and I do not have a credit card nor the necesary money for that...So sommething FREE and GOOD ( this is utopic???) is the thing I need
SO ,if you can pls hellp ....
And this tutorial is great !!! And the section about C is also very useful!

Edited by - MAD_Mask on July 4, 2001 4:41:07 PM

#127 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2001 - 04:14 AM

MAD_Mask:

For someone with your experience in DOS, C++ and Pascal (plus a little bit of MFC), the book by Andre Lamothe (Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus) would be perfect. Unfortunately, it is not free.

I''ll have a look around and see if I can find a few references on the web... I know that I have seen some good tutorials on Windows programming in the past.

One thing that I have found while programming games is that you can hide most of the Windows and DirectX stuff and concentrate almost entirely on C++. (The Windows and DirectX is needed to get up and running... but once you have done that, most of your programming effort will go into the logic of the game).

#128 Dionysis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 05 July 2001 - 08:20 AM

MAD_Mask:

Check out the "Game Programming Genesis" series of tutorials in the programming section on GameDev. It''ll teach you all the basics of programming in Windows, and using DirectX

#129 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 July 2001 - 03:51 AM

MAD_Mask

The Game Programming Genesis series is excellent. You might also try a little tutorial that I found at http://winprog.org/tutorial

#130 mrsnake   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 09 July 2001 - 12:57 AM

Hi,
I get the following errors when compiling with Dev C 4.0 ++ :

34 c:\code\basecode1\globals.h
from c:\code\basecode1\gamemain.cpp:13:

724 c:\dev-c_~1\include\mmreg.h
redefinition of `struct tWAVEFORMATEX''

1012 c:\dev-c_~1\include\mmsystem.h
previous definition here

from c:\code\basecode1\initterm.cpp:12:

previous definition here

153 initterm.cpp
no matching function for call to `tWAVEFORMATEX::tWAVEFORMATEX ()''

734 c:\dev-c_~1\include\mmreg.h
candidates are: tWAVEFORMATEX::tWAVEFORMATEX(const tWAVEFORMATEX &)

from c:\code\basecode1\Utils.h:15,

12 utils.cpp
C:\DEV-C_~1\INCLUDE\mmreg.h:724: redefinition of `struct tWAVEFORMATEX''

previous definition here

280 utils.cpp
no matching function for call to `tWAVEFORMATEX::tWAVEFORMATEX ()''

734 c:\dev-c_~1\include\mmreg.h
candidates are: tWAVEFORMATEX::tWAVEFORMATEX(const tWAVEFORMATEX &)

from c:\code\basecode1\winbase.cpp:12:

previous definition here

Any idea on how to fix? Help is greatly aprreciated.

#131 Ook666   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 July 2001 - 05:10 AM

Teej, your page at www.agelfire.com/home/gamedev seems to not to function...
Or is there another page that I didnt notice?
I found this tutorial today and think that it is GREAT!

#132 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 16 July 2001 - 12:03 PM

DIONYSIS:
THX very much Dionysis I''ll tray to find that "Game Programming Genesis" but I am not sure where to search.
WEATHERMAN:
Sorry for the posting delay.It is not bad-intention.I was
out of town for 10 days.Now I''m back.
The adress "http://winprog.org/tutorial " is good and I am "saving as " the tutorial pages as I speak(write).

"One thing that I have found while programming games is that you can hide most of the Windows and DirectX stuff and concentrate almost entirely on C++." are your words .I hope that that is true.I''dd realy like to have somme caind of win program shell and to get rigth in to creating and manipulating parts and concepts of the game .But I realy hope that "somme day" I''ll be able to " hide most of the Windows and DirectX stuff and concentrate almost entirely on C++." I like c++ and I realise that I know only soooooooooo little about it.

I have another (sommehow stupid ) qst. :
Is there a age for learning eficiently C++ and win programing?
I gest hope that I am not to old.....for a beginer ... ( I am 18)

I realise that this isn''t the place for this post but I am afraid that if I post elsewere you won''t answer.

#133 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 17 July 2001 - 03:31 AM

quote:

Is there a age for learning eficiently C++ and win programing?
I gest hope that I am not to old.....for a beginer ... ( I am 18)

I won''t tell you how old I am (in case you think that I roamed the Earth with the dinosaurs )...

I was 22 when I learned to program in Fortran. Then, much later, I learned to program in BASIC, Pascal, assembly (for Intel microprocessors), C and C++, in that order. Although BASIC was interesting at the time, it was pretty much useless in helping me understand programming concepts. I found assembly language programming to be extremely useful, but I''m not sure if I would recommend it to someone starting out today (although, you might want to have a look at it after you have got to the "intermediate" level in programming).

I found Windows programming to be quite frustrating at first. It felt like a new programming language until I realized that it was really just C++ in disguise.

The ONLY thing about the Windows/DirectX APIs that is different from the C++ language is that they are huge... they are not, inherently, more difficult to learn, they are just very large (literally, thousands of individual functions and hundreds of new structures, re-named types etc.)

To answer your question: I don''t think any age is "too old for a beginner". In fact, 18 seems to be just about perfect.

(One thing that I might suggest if you want to progress in this field... continue to study mathematics. You won''t regret it).

#134 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 July 2001 - 10:08 AM

Weatherman:

Uff , I am tring to log on to GameDev , Forums for over 1h ( YES , 60 min !!) ,but reading your replay makes all this time not
to be lost.( My english realy needs improuvment!!!!)
And thx for the advice on "math thing".At school I am doing preaty good but at info the techer realy doesn''t know very much...
O.K. so I have a question about C programing but I whant to post it on section 03.01. "Q&A" because I whant to respect Teej''s forum concept ( and also because I past the readiness test )
So if you have time ,do a little "C teching" for me because
good prgraming books are useful ,BUT having sommeone GOOD on programing hellping is much beter.
Mask.
P.S. Uau !!! do you realy know so many programing languages...?

#135 MAD_Mask   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 July 2001 - 10:19 AM

Weatherman:

Uff , I am tring to log on to GameDev , Forums for over 1h ( YES , 60 min !!) ,but reading your replay makes all this time not
to be lost.( My english realy needs improuvment!!!!)
And thx for the advice on "math thing".At school I am doing preaty good but at info the techer realy doesn''t know very much...
O.K. so I have a question about C programing but I whant to post it on section 03.01. "Q&A" because I whant to respect Teej''s forum concept ( and also because I past the readiness test )
So if you have time ,do a little "C teching" for me because
good prgraming books are useful ,BUT having sommeone GOOD on programing hellping is much beter.
Mask.

#136 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 July 2001 - 01:29 PM

quote:

Nobody really remembers all these languages unless he is using them all the time. I havn''t used FORTRAN, BASIC or Pascal is years and have pretty well forgotten how to use them. I use C/C++ almost exclusively now.

#137 Dionysis   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 18 July 2001 - 04:39 PM

MAD_Mask,

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=45

Follow that link to get to the Game Programming Genesis Articles. They are located under the ''GENERAL'' section, and there are 10 different parts.

#138 Codegod   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 19 July 2001 - 12:10 PM

Hello,

I just found this forum today, and couldn''t stop reading it. I got all the way down to this section, but couldn''t download the source files... Apparently, the new site at www.angelfire.com/home/gamedev doesn''t seem to be working.

I can''t wait to continue with this tutorial.... but I need the files!

If anyone is nice enough to email the zip file to me at codegod2k@yahoo.com, I''d really appreciate it.

Eric

#139 Weatherman   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 July 2001 - 03:37 AM

Look for URL under NEWS

#140 simulator   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 July 2001 - 01:22 PM

Hey!!
If anyone else is forced to use directx3 because they are on NT- take heart- I actually got this thing working in about 20 minutes- I deleted the 7 at the end of the directx objects, deleted the Ex at the end of the create functions and when the compiler came back to say that the function had too many parameters & void** I took them out & voila- its works!!!!!!!!!
LOL & believe me, I have no idea what im doing hehe,.

PARTNERS