Which 3D software should I use

Started by
9 comments, last by MiniZap 22 years, 12 months ago
Ok I think this post might belong on this forum section. I know very little 2D but im learning and getting to be ok at it. Eventually I want to move 3D graphics. I cant afford anything over 100 dollars. I am looking for which software I need to use if I want to create 3D graphics for fun(like scenes) and for games possibly. I am open to any suggestions from buying a really cheap and early version and upgrading as I get the money to buying a decent priced program...please help. I realize 3D will not be easy and it will help me if I learn 2d before I go 3D. I cant afford a 3D program yet but I will be able to really soon and I realize it would take a while to find a program I wanted to use so I decided to think ahead...ok well enough of my babbling post away. Please help me answer my question, this is important to me!!!
Advertisement
I would look into

Milkshape
Blender(Freeware I think)
Caligari TrueSpace(I''ve got a TrueSpace 3/SE that came in a $20 British Art Magazine - Computer Art)
Demos of 3D modelling programs

ZoomBoy
Developing a iso-tile 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at
Check out my web-site
Milkshape is specifically for low polygon count 3D modelling, and is shareware--it expires after 30 days.

Blender is...weird. But completely free and able to handle things from tiny models to full scenes.

TrueSpace is weird, also.

Since your main goal is to make static 3D images (rather than game levels or models), I''d recommend POV-Ray, if you''re on a tight budget. It''s 100% free and will take care of rendering. For modelling, there are a few freeware modelling packages that should take care of that aspect for you. Beyond that, Blender should work, but I''d say that the learning curve is somewhat steep.

Ok firstly Milkshape can do more than low poly models and I have seen amazing things with this..even if im not making them..

I also dont just want static images..i want to do some animation

I know blender has a very very steep learning curve also..i totally agree with you

but POV ray is the one thing I want to stay away from...I dont like the fact that in Pov Ray you have ot use code and you cant rotate around the objects...I might learn C++ someday and I dont want to do any more code than I have to...POV RAY is the only thing I can think of I definitly dont want to use though..thanks for your responses..keep em comin

Edited by - MiniZap on April 21, 2001 8:26:57 PM
I know Milkshape can do more; I never said it couldn''t. But even its designers call it a low polygon count modeller, and it''s certainly optimized for that. Plus, it doesn''t make any nice renders on its own.

Sorry. I meant non-realtime.

If you use one of those modellers for POV-Ray, you shouldn''t have to write any code. But, yeah, it''s a little tricky. I mentioned it as a last resort. =)

If you want something really cheap that''s easy to use, maybe consider Simply 3D. It''s pretty basic, but it can do some nice renders and is capable of rudimentary animation beyond just camera movements.
Thanks merlin....I dont think I want an easy to use 3D program...I dont care what the learning curve is but I do care about updates..capibilities...and community. I wish something like Animation master or a very very early version of truespace...but I have never met people and heard what they thought of the programs as actual customers..I shall consider your ideas merlin and I thank you
Unfortunately, just about every 3D app that''s actually worth anything (meets the requirements you listed) is above $100.
So, I suppose Blender is your best bet.
Also try out Strata3D.
It''s free, too, and it does animations as well.
The poly counts can get crazy, but it will get your feet wet.
Animation Master is awesome, but there''s definitely a learning curve. If I just wanted to try it, considering Hash Inc.''s sillyness in not providing a demo, I would probably download (from the FTP site @ hash.com) the highest version I could find a patch for.

It''s well worth the $300 ($200 educational) they charge for it, but I can understand someone not wanting to pay that sort of money sight unseen.
Try Blender, it''s well worth the learning curve, free, has a good community, and is updated often. http://www.blender.nl
Do as many tutorials as you can, learn the hotkeys, and it''s actually not that hard to use. I use it, and I suck at 3d graphics, so I would recomend it if you can spend like a month on learning. It even has a pretty cool game engine built in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement