• Create Account

What is the best book on Data Structures in C++?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
6 replies to this topic

#1 batabek   Members   -  Reputation: 148

0Likes

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:06 AM

Hi, I am looking for a very detailed book about Data Structures and their implementation in C++. It can be intermediate or advance no problem for me. Which one should I buy?

Sponsor:

#2 Josh Petrie   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3100

1Likes

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:19 AM

I have a number of books by Aho and Ullman that I found useful. The "C++" part should be largely irrelevant, so I wouldn't neccessarily constrain yourself to that if you want a really good book.

Check Amazon, there are tons.

#3 Lexdysic   Members   -  Reputation: 197

1Likes

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:37 AM

Algorithms in C++, 3rd edition
Robert Sedgewick
ISBN: 0201350882

This is the book I used for my data structures class. It has good material on a good selection of useful data structures. There is a second book which just focuses on B-Trees I believe. It has examples of the common functions you perform on each data structures and covers the pros and cons of each. Its also a pretty handy reference in case you are doing anything and need a quick refresh of how something works.

I personally haven't looked at any other books. So, I can't really tell you how it compares to the other stuff out there. It was very good for my purposes though.

#4 FippyDarkpaw   Members   -  Reputation: 154

1Likes

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:43 AM

Data Structures for Game Programmers is pretty good. And it has source code with simple game demos. You can find a lot better price than this I am sure:

http://www.amazon.com/Structures-Programmers-Premier-Press-Development/dp/1931841942

#5 joew   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3616

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:00 AM

I would recommend against any of the data structures for games, etc type books as most of them lack real depth. I would honestly look at one of the three standards, which is Cormen (Algorithms), Sedgewick (Algorithms in C or Algorithms in C++), and Alho.

#6 batabek   Members   -  Reputation: 148

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:20 AM

I have the Cormen's book its a great book but only shows algorithms in pseudocode. I need a C++ implementation with modern design patterns. Sedgewick book seems good, How about Drozdek's book ?

#7 Jerax   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

I recommend Cormen et al's book. Pseudo code is in many ways better than C/C++ for such a book - by having to work out the implementation yourself rather than just rote copy you learn more.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS