• Create Account

[java] Good Java IDEs

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sieggy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 06:31 AM

Can anyone recommend any decent IDEs for Java? I''ve used VC++ for a long time so I''m sort of spoiled by its IDE. I wanted to know what was out there for Java. Thanks! Sieggy

Sponsor:

#2 the dictator   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 06:43 AM

i think jasupremo is the shit you can scoop it up at
http://yaz.hypermart.net/software/jasupremo/

peace out

#3 HighSea   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 06:44 AM

www.jcreator.com

#4 borngamer   Members   -  Reputation: 204

Posted 02 May 2001 - 09:04 AM

If you have a crapload of ram and a fast processor, Forte kicks major rear. Min spec is 128MB ram.

Otherwise, jcreator is a pretty good source code editor. But it''s not an IDE.

borngamer

#5 ernestw   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 09:16 AM

If you can get an older version of Kawa (4.0 or below) then that''d work fine. Almost as functional as JBuilder, etc. but quite a bit smaller in resource usage. (http://www.allaire.com)

Ever since Allaire took over Tek Tools though, Kawa has become a bloated, expensive steaming piece of turd. :-(

Nowadays though I don''t use an IDE preferring to stick with an editor like VIM (or emacs, hey I''m hip) and using a little tool called Ant to build everything. Ant is a Make-like tool which is pretty cool and does most things an IDE won''t like creating a custom build directory structure, scripting CVS checkouts into your build process, jarring and unjarring files as a part of your build process, etc. (http://jakarta.apache.org)

#6 jinushaun   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 02:44 PM

quote:
Original post by borngamer
If you have a crapload of ram and a fast processor, Forte kicks major rear. Min spec is 128MB ram.

Otherwise, jcreator is a pretty good source code editor. But it''s not an IDE.
borngamer

I guess my computer must be crap cuz no matter how you slice it, Forte is f***in bloody slow!! I have an AMD 850 MHz with 128 MB PC-133 RAM. Those aren''t exactly weak specs. However, I must admit that it''s the best free Java IDE out there, albeit slow and incredibly bloated. It has many nice features.

Besides the excellent yet antiquated and proprietory VJ++, I haven''t used any commerical IDE. I hear alot of them are written in Java (WHY!?!?!), so expect them to be as slow and bloated as Forte.

Jinushaun

#7 Neurotic   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 03:09 PM

Personally, I fell in love with JBuilder 4 as soon as I started using it.

Its picked up in regards to JBuilder 3 in speed (where you would have to shu down a project and reopen it to force the grabage collector to run) and I find it brilliant.

JCreator Also looks like a good tool if speed is your serious issue. (Also depends on what your creating, Jbuilder is built very well for EJB and Servlet support)

I gave up trying to use JCreator when I couldn''t import a 3rd party package in about 10 minutes. Maybe I should have perseveered, but I have a short attention span for software.

Just my 2c

Mark

#8 Inigmas   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 03:10 PM

Just use notepad.

#9 Glandalf   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 03:13 PM

I use a small program called JEDplus for my Java IDE. I like it ok and its free. I couldn''t get in to Forte or Netbeans that much, but I never tried some of the others so you might like them. JEDplus is only like 1.8 megs so if you are on dialup it would be one to look at.

Glandalf
Just a thought

#10 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 02 May 2001 - 05:22 PM

I use CodeWarrior. It works well and only costs $50

#11 Martee   Members   -  Reputation: 476

Posted 02 May 2001 - 05:24 PM

JCreator all the way.

~~~~~~~~~~
Martee
http://www.csc.uvic.ca/~mdill

#12 c_wraith   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 May 2001 - 08:54 PM

I find Forte (Or rather Netbeans, the open source base of Forte) to be VERY nice. Especially version 3.2, as it can use the MDI style, so everything is in one parent window.

However, it is pretty harsh on the system reqs. It runs great with 448 MB of memory. But 128 isn''t really enough. When I had 192, it wasn''t enough. I think 256 might be, but I''m not going to test that. Processor speed isn''t as important as the amount of memory, for that program. And make sure you get the mousewheel plugin if you''re going to be using it... It makes the IDE feel about twice as responsive when you can use the mousewheel.

#13 Sieggy   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 03 May 2001 - 06:00 AM

Thanks folks, I''ll check some of this stuff out. I appreciate the input!

Sieggy

#14 Sean T. McBeth   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1633

Posted 03 May 2001 - 07:51 AM

Jcreator. It has just enough features that I can use it without having to screw with DOS. and it was free. Free is always good.

AOL, so easy to use, no wonder it''s nothing but a bunch of retards

Spyder''s Web Games

#15 lightwave   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 May 2001 - 05:56 PM

im new but i found this one and its great very easy to use simple fast and free and not overly confuseing
http://www.realj.com/index.shtml

#16 lightwave   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 May 2001 - 06:00 PM

btw
i tried jbuilder and played with useing the jdk and the ms dos prompt and this one blows them away
http://www.realj.com/index.shtml

#17 derwiath   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 May 2001 - 06:34 PM

Hello..

I recomend that you check out jEdit (www.jedit.org), it''s a totally free editor with a lot of nice features through it''s various plugins.
However, it''s "just" an editor and not an IDE. The major thing I miss in jEdit is a debugging tool.

Good luck!
/Derwiath

------------------------------
- Derwiath -

#18 Mithrandir   Members   -  Reputation: 607

Posted 11 May 2001 - 03:30 AM

JBuilder 3 is crap.

Its debugger crashes every time i debug ANYTHING. That shouldn''t happen.

And the help system is so bloody slow... ugh...

#19 EnTerry   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 11 May 2001 - 03:52 AM

You can use JBuilder 4, I think it is so powerful.

#20 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 14 May 2001 - 12:27 AM

well i guess Visual Age for Java.
but you have to have a lot of resources to run it.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS