• Create Account

Converting std::string to char* to LPTSTR

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic

#1 Revin122   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:05 PM

I'm having trouble on converting std::string to a char*...it always say cannot convert...I tried to use the = operator and strcpy... But is there a way to convert the string to LPTSTR immediately...I need it for my output in a function I made that needs a LPTSTR output with a string input. I'm trying to convert it to char* but still cannot convert.

Sponsor:

#2 Driv3MeFar   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 1076

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

string::c_str

#3 Revin122   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

when I used .c_str() to the string it came out as "cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'LPTSTR'"

#4 iMalc   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2290

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

In that case you're obviously programming with UNICODE defined to true.
For VS2005 go to "Configuration Properties -> General -> Character Set" and set it to "Use Multi-Byte Character Set"

#5 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1959

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2007 - 09:45 PM

LPTSTR is typedefed as a non-const char*. You can't convert a std::string to a non-const buffer, you'll have to do something like:

char szBuff[256];
Func(szBuff);
std::string str = szBuff;

It may also be a unicode thing, as iMalc said.

Can we see some code to see exactly what you're doing?

#6 scorpion007   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 20 November 2007 - 11:36 PM

LPTSTR is actually a generic text string type. It may or may not be "a non-const char*" as you say.

From MSDN, it's "An LPWSTR if UNICODE is defined, an LPSTR otherwise."

#7 Evil Steve   Members   -  Reputation: 1959

0Likes

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:31 AM

Quote:
Original post by scorpion007
LPTSTR is actually a generic text string type. It may or may not be "a non-const char*" as you say.

From MSDN, it's "An LPWSTR if UNICODE is defined, an LPSTR otherwise."

From winnt.h:

#ifdef UNICODE
typedef LPWSTR PTSTR, LPTSTR;
#else
typedef LPSTR PTSTR, LPTSTR;
#endif

typedef __nullterminated CHAR *NPSTR, *LPSTR, *PSTR;
typedef __nullterminated WCHAR *NWPSTR, *LPWSTR, *PWSTR;

Meaning a LPTSTR is a non-const multi-byte or wide character string. My point is that it's always non-const, meaning you can't convert a std::string or std::wstring to it directly.

#8 SiCrane   Moderators   -  Reputation: 9497

0Likes

Posted 21 November 2007 - 01:41 AM

If you want to convert a narrow character string to a wide character string, you can use mbstowcs(), or if you're feeling adventurous, the widen() member function of the ctype facet of a std::locale. Alternately, if you're willing to use ATL, you can use the CA2T macro to create a TCHAR buffer from a const char *. Ex:

CA2T buffer(my_string.c_str());

This uses the default buffer size of 128, though. If you need a larger buffer, you should use the CA2TEX macro instead, which allows you to explicitly specify a buffer size.

#9 scorpion007   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 21 November 2007 - 12:43 PM

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Meaning a LPTSTR is a non-const multi-byte or wide character string. My point is that it's always non-const, meaning you can't convert a std::string or std::wstring to it directly.

It's a *single*-byte (narrow) or wide character string, depending on UNICODE, as I already said.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS