• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

best 3d engine for overhead noncommerical game?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 20 September 1999 - 01:11 PM

this is probably the 20th time someone asks this, but I haven't found any good answers on this... my question is, me & 20 others wanna create an overhead or isometric game 3d RPG, now, what's the best engine to use (it will be freeware) ? the best one I have found is fly3d, but I am not sure...
best would be either d3d/ogl, support for h/W T&L (we are gonna do a highpoly game for geforces and the likes)
and suited to the overhead perspective, and include support for dinput and dsound, not only gfx...
any suggestions or links to comparisons?

Sponsor:

#2 mutex   Members   -  Reputation: 1110

Posted 19 September 1999 - 02:56 PM

i'm sorry if this sounds like i'm just promoting my own engine, but it does sound like you could use it. anyway, it's called the DefyEngine and is available at http://members.xoom.com/mutex0 complete with source.

i'm not sure but i think d3d supports hardware transform/lighting.

#3 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 20 September 1999 - 05:54 AM

I don't quite get it, is that engine 2D or true 3D?

#4 mutex   Members   -  Reputation: 1110

Posted 20 September 1999 - 01:11 PM

objects have an X,Y,Z coordinate, while floors only have X,Y, so i guess half 2d/half 3d. it was not designed to do Quake or Quake II type stuff however, more like Diablo

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS