• Create Account

Prayers for a Fellow Developer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
48 replies to this topic

#1 NathanRunge   Members   -  Reputation: 421

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:11 PM

Good day, I understand this is probably a little unorthodox and I don't want to be at all controversial, it's just a request addressed to those of any faith. Last year I came to this site for a second time, confident now that I had the abilities to actually assist in the development process and I put myself out there. I quickly got a response from a project which I joined. On that project I met a man by the name of Vibhas, and even though I no longer work on that project, I've spent many an hour talking to him since and continue to count myself his friend, and a colleague on two other project. I just found out though that he was in an accident on the highwaylast night. He was carpooling, and his two friends were killed on impact. He's now in hospital with severe head injuries, as well as broken bones all over his body. I don't know if he's stable or conscious but, being a Christian, I wanted to ask for as many prayers as possible for his recovery physically, mentally and emotionally. It matters not which faith you belong to, and even crossed fingers would be appreciated. I know I'll be praying tonight.

Sponsor:

#2 BigBlueShit   Members   -  Reputation: 109

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

I have just crossed my fingers, I really hope he doesn't die.

#3 speciesUnknown   Members   -  Reputation: 527

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:13 PM

If your religion is comforting, thats fine by me, you don't need to apologise for any potential "controversy" however, make sure that you spend a portion of your time giving him support, rather than sat at home praying all day. See if you can go visit him.

#4 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:45 PM

I don't pray, but I wish him and you all the best.

#5 moosedude   Members   -  Reputation: 145

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:13 PM

best wishes.

#6 NathanRunge   Members   -  Reputation: 421

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

I'd give him support, but unfortunately I'm overseas and can't get back at this time.

#7 valentin-galea   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:06 AM

Why should I care for a total stranger? Even yourself, you don't care for all the children that die every day in Africa for example!

Is this selective-love attitude that brought down the very few good ideas in christianity.

So post a game dev question or fuck off!

#8 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:19 AM

Quote:
Original post by valentin-galea
Why should I care for a total stranger? Even yourself, you don't care for all the children that die every day in Africa for example!

Is this selective-love attitude that brought down the very few good ideas in christianity.

If you don't care, why post? Nobody said you should, it was a request that you could have ignored easily. I don't know the guy either, nor do I even remember Nathan as a poster on GameDev. If someone reaches out for moral support, I'm more than happy to give it, provided it isn't there first post in these forums. You chose not to do it, which is fine, but no reason to get abusive.

#9 Mathmo   Members   -  Reputation: 163

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:31 AM

He has some well wishes from me next time i fire up the IDE. Hope he pulls through

#10 valentin-galea   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:36 AM

Quote:
Original post by WanMaster
If you don't care, why post?

Oh I DO care! This sort of attitude will piss Jesus himself, let alone me!
Go watch http://www.youtube.com/user/patcondell and learn;)

#11 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by WanMaster
If you don't care, why post?

Oh I DO care! This sort of attitude will piss Jesus himself, let alone me!
Go watch http://www.youtube.com/user/patcondell and learn;)

I am familiar with his videos and even agree with most of them. However they don't justify or even clarify your behavior in this thread. Move on.

#12 gunning   Members   -  Reputation: 751

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

Quote:
Seriously, grow up.

Sorry about your friend. Best wishes.

#13 CmpDev   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

Quote:

I think that is a valid point, I will just reword it.
Why should I care for a total stranger? Do you care for all the children that die every day in Africa? For the people that die through torture around the world everyday, for people who are killed in disasters?

#14 valentin-galea   Members   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:15 AM

Quote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?db=dictionary&q=fuck+off

1. fuck off, Slang.
a. to shirk one's duty; malinger.
b. go away: used as an exclamation of impatience.
c. to waste time.

#15 Machaira   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1028

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:24 AM

/me offers up a prayer

#16 monalaw   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1065

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:39 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with your friend. I hope he pulls through.

~Mona Ibrahim, Esq.
J.D., LL.M.
Trademark & Entertainment Attorney

MAI Entertainment Law

#17 Rydinare   Members   -  Reputation: 486

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:44 AM

Wishing your friend the best and hope he pulls through and recovers.

#18 CmpDev   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:02 AM

Quote:
I think that is a valid point, I will just reword it.
Why should I care for a total stranger? Do you care for all the children that die every day in Africa? For the people that die through torture around the world everyday, for people who are killed in disasters?

The answer I think is humanity.

Quote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=humanity
1. all human beings collectively; the human race; humankind.
2. the quality or condition of being human; human nature.
3. the quality of being humane; kindness; benevolence.

I will not pray as I am not religious or cross my fingers as this may not be want he wants. Your friend may be in a condition from which, looking at it through third person eyes, he would not like to pull through; yet I offer you this. A wise man once said to me that "Someone is not dead, until no one thinks of them" and your friend is in my thoughts.

#19 Xyphyx   Members   -  Reputation: 142

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:14 AM

WTF!? Selective love? Let me explain somethin here Valentin. I understand the point you're attempting to make. But I also understand that Christ himself could not reach everyone in the world in the 30 some-odd years he was alive. The simple fact is this - I am here - in Lard (Manteca) CA. There is a total population somewhere in the thousands (I don't know exactly). And my sphere of influence is related directly to my physical position.
There are people who have given up their lives to assist 'children in Africa.' More power to them. I pray for them daily (or rather nightly). But my faith doesn't require that I mention them everytime I ask for prayer. This is a delicate situation. And one of us (us being used very loosely) is hurting. It's your attitude and your reckless abandon towards the pain of another person that I believe will anger Christ.
Read the bible. People who asked Christ for help weren't yelled at. They weren't scolded for not caring about the homeless kids in Egypt. They were shown compassion.
You've got some bookwork to do.

Anyways - enough with the diatribe.

Nathan - my prayers are with you.

- Xyphyx

#20 EmptyVoid   Banned   -  Reputation: 99

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
Original post by Machaira
/me offers up a prayer

I'm guessing you play WoW?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS