• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

War of the Words

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
13 replies to this topic

#1 NathanRunge   Members   -  Reputation: 540

Posted 31 May 2008 - 06:42 PM

I never thought I would find myself in a reputable forum unleashing a 'Microsoft is evil' rant upon an unsuspecting public, but here I am, about to plunge into the icy depths of mainstream hate, considering what my chances are of finding a working piece of software at the bottom. The situation I find myself in is, apparently, a common one. Microsoft Word 2007 has, arbitrarily, decided it shall no longer recognise the peripheral of the mouse. Being a little selective in its technological xenophobia it'll happily allow clicks from 'the mouse' to toggle its menu buttons. Fearing possible hidden agendas, however, it has decided to restrict all 'clicks' from accessing its most precious resource - text. Microsoft Word, having received reliable intelligence from Microsoft Customer Support that 'the mouse' may attempt to instigate a coup de tat through careful manipulation of 'the options', has enforced a further 'no-click-zone' in the cyberspace over every non-general menu item. Microsoft Customer Support, a member of the Coalition of Microsoft, has lent its support to the operation, stating to the 'User: Nathan' that no problem exists. Microsoft Customer Service is threatening to enforce heavy economic sanctions, in the form of a $50 'service fee', on any user attempting to access 'text' in sovereign Word territory. Currently plans for an invasion via 'The Registry' are being explored. So, not wishing to part with $50 to speak to some technical support chap who'll probably tell me to turn it on and off again, does anyone have a clue how to fix this problem? (Problem being: Can't click/select/manipulate text in Word 2007 and the standard fix is not an option seeing as I cannot click in the options menu either.)

Sponsor:

#2 Dmytry   Members   -  Reputation: 1148

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:20 PM

solution: rather than whining but still using it, just stop using microsoft office. Use openoffice (for example) instead, it almost certainly got all the features that you do actually use.

#3 NathanRunge   Members   -  Reputation: 540

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

I never whined about using it, I whined about a problem with it.

Secondly, I used to use OpenOffice, but Microsoft Office is generally higher quality and I got it rather cheaply.

#4 Dmytry   Members   -  Reputation: 1148

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:37 PM

Quote:
Original post by NathanRunge
I never whined about using it, I whined about a problem with it.

and about service fee / $50 support call...
Quote:

Secondly, I used to use OpenOffice, but Microsoft Office is generally higher quality and I got it rather cheaply.

with higher quality, I would disagree. Open office, after all, doesn't mysteriously stop recognizing mouse in text area. As for features, i did not see a single feature that i'd miss.

Try googling about that, if it is common problem there may be answer on intertubes.

#5 NathanRunge   Members   -  Reputation: 540

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

[quote]Original post by Dmytry
[quote]

True, true, but I feel justified in doing so.

Quote:
with higher quality, I would disagree. Open office, after all, doesn't mysteriously stop recognizing mouse in text area.

Indeed, but it does have its own bugs and problems. I found it tended to crash a lot, and loaded files a little more slowly. It would also have difficulty dealing with some office file formats, which were, unfortunately, necessary at university. This is especially true of powerpoint files.

Quote:
Try googling about that, if it is common problem there may be answer on intertubes.

I already have. There are a few references, most with the same solution - to go through the options menu, which I cannot do. One other solution is offered, which is to delete keys in the registry. I shall probably end up doing so, but would rather avoid it if possible.

#6 Dmytry   Members   -  Reputation: 1148

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

[quote]Original post by NathanRunge
[quote]Original post by Dmytry
Quote:

True, true, but I feel justified in doing so.

Quote:
with higher quality, I would disagree. Open office, after all, doesn't mysteriously stop recognizing mouse in text area.

Indeed, but it does have its own bugs and problems. I found it tended to crash a lot, and loaded files a little more slowly.

well, if you import files, yes. It is kind of bugged.
Quote:

It would also have difficulty dealing with some office file formats, which were, unfortunately, necessary at university. This is especially true of powerpoint files.

Ahh... university, in america. In europe, AFAIK, universities (at least technical ones) are linux-friendly, and on linux you don't have ms office.
Quote:

Quote:

I already have. There are a few references, most with the same solution - to go through the options menu, which I cannot do. One other solution is offered, which is to delete keys in the registry. I shall probably end up doing so, but would rather avoid it if possible.

Well, i think you gotta edit registry. When windows software goes bad, generally, you have to edit registry. You can save/export part of registry before deleting stuff, so you could restore.

#7 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1678

Posted 01 June 2008 - 02:59 AM

Quote:

Can't you navigate the menus by keyboard?

#8 NathanRunge   Members   -  Reputation: 540

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Original post by Dmytry
Ahh... university, in america. In europe, AFAIK, universities (at least technical ones) are linux-friendly, and on linux you don't have ms office.

Actually, University in Australia. The software requirements seem to change from day to day and class to class.

Quote:
Well, i think you gotta edit registry. When windows software goes bad, generally, you have to edit registry. You can save/export part of registry before deleting stuff, so you could restore.

I think so too.

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Can't you navigate the menus by keyboard?

I can navigate the first screen of the menu. Unfortunately the keyboard will not allow me to toggle between the various menus to the one which will allow me to disable add-ins, which can apparently become defective and cause this problem.

#9 fastcall22   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 4475

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
I found it tended to crash a lot

You weren't using the beta version of Open Office were you?

I've never had a problem with Open Office until I tried the new beta :|

#10 davepermen   Members   -  Reputation: 1023

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:57 AM

i always had problems with openoffice, every version i occasionally tried since years. it depends on the user, i'd guess.

well, i get everywhere i want in the menu by keyboard, so i'm unsure which place you can't reach.

then again, i haven't found a place to disable the addons yet :)
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

#11 Funkymunky   Members   -  Reputation: 689

Posted 01 June 2008 - 06:38 AM

apparently its some kind of addin problem, google found me this guy's advice, you could probably do something similar

#12 Spodi   Members   -  Reputation: 642

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:16 AM

I didn't read all of every post, but did you ever try just reinstalling it? You can also go through and manually delete any left-over files and registry keys you can find before the reinstall since larger Microsoft products seem to enjoy leaving behind a bunch of crap.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine

#13 NathanRunge   Members   -  Reputation: 540

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:29 AM

Quote:
Original post by Funkymunky
apparently its some kind of addin problem, google found me this guy's advice, you could probably do something similar

I did read that one and I'll probably venture into the registry tonight. I didn't think that'd be a good idea at 2 in the morning when I hadn't really slept the night before and was hoping for a fix which isn't really forced.

Failing that I'll do a re-install. I don't really want to do that because I've got most of my stuff still packed in a couple of suitcases since I moved over here to Canada. I'm not even 100% sure I brought the disk with me. Thanks for all the nice responses though.

#14 NathanRunge   Members   -  Reputation: 540

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

Well I just went through the registry and, much to my dismay, there was not a single add-in key present. Plan B is to purge the word options and settings keys.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS