• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Orginal PONG source code

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
14 replies to this topic

#1 ZajferX   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:52 AM

I have been searching for the orginal source code for pong now in 2 weeks but still havn't found it, does anyone in here have it? I don't want a premodified version due to that's just want i want to do with it, i want to rewrite the code to get my own personal version of PONG. If anyone in here got the code plz post it here or attatch it

Sponsor:

#2 yaustar   Members   -  Reputation: 530

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 01:58 AM

Would PONG even have source code? The logic was probably hardware driven so your 'source' may just be a circuit diagram.

#3 bschneid   Members   -  Reputation: 126

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:14 AM

Why do you need the original pong source code? There are so many remakes and the such, and they are all probably better suited for viewing (see the post above mine). Plus, pong is so incredibly easy to code, I'm not sure why you would want to mod someone else's version. Just write your own, making your own modifications.

#4 Wan   Members   -  Reputation: 1366

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:18 AM

Here it is:

(well, the Atari version at least)

Hardware didn't have microprocessors in those days, so like yaustar said, you'd be looking at a circuit diagram (if it's even publicly available).

#5 MaulingMonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 1556

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:22 AM

Doing a little historical reading, it sounds like pong probably was a series of electrical diagrams -- it's predecessors not even using integrated circuits. Don't read source code anyways -- even if you had the code to the original, it'd be 35 years old and predating modern programming languages and practices.

#6 Structural   Members   -  Reputation: 328

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:45 AM

Mechanical pong is the real old-skool thing

#7 ZajferX   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 02:55 AM

ohhh sorry my bad .. didn't mean to write original i ment the code where you got 2 white paddels and 1 white ball so i when i have the code for that game can modify it to my own likeings

#8 Sneftel   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 1781

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Original post by ZajferX
ohhh sorry my bad .. didn't mean to write original i ment the code where you got 2 white paddels and 1 white ball so i when i have the code for that game can modify it to my own likeings

If you are unable to program a game like Pong in under ten minutes, that's what you should be learning to do.

#9 Antheus   Members   -  Reputation: 2397

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 03:54 AM

Quote:
I have been searching for the orginal source code for pong now in 2 weeks

Two weeks?

#10 asp_   Members   -  Reputation: 172

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:18 AM

Quote:

If you are unable to program a game like Pong in under ten minutes

Ahh I've been looking at a good metric for gauging the skill level of interviewees. Could this be it? I doubt I could do it to be honest. Is there some sort of school that teaches speed coding Pong?

#11 Oluseyi   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1678

0Likes

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:40 AM

Quote:
Original post by asp_
Quote:

Ahh I've been looking at a good metric for gauging the skill level of interviewees. Could this be it? I doubt I could do it to be honest. Is there some sort of school that teaches speed coding Pong?

Don't code it in C. Use something like Python + PyGame, and you should be able to hit 10 minutes.

Alternately, Sneftel's metric may only apply to the core logic of Pong, not all the graphics and input handling routines as well.

(That said, LaMothé claimed to be able to write Asteroids in an hour, because he'd done it so often...)

#12 bzroom   Members   -  Reputation: 647

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:04 AM

I used to be able to write pong in under 10 minutes back in my day. Now it takes me just under 15.. I must be getting old.

#13 Antheus   Members   -  Reputation: 2397

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
Original post by asp_
Quote:

TopCoder.

You can even get paid.

#14 programmermattc   GDNet+   -  Reputation: 133

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

Actually I found some of the original, here's a snippet:

#15 MaulingMonkey   Members   -  Reputation: 1556

0Likes

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by asp_
Quote:

Don't code it in C. Use something like Python + PyGame, and you should be able to hit 10 minutes.

Also depends on the polish level too. Fully skinned menu UI, multiple levels of AI, scorekeeping, and a high score system? Or a pair of paddles and a ball?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS