• Create Account

Creating a text-based game,

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic

#1 unwantedminority   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

Ok, I'm a noob, I've no clue on programming games. I was wondering if there was anybody out there who would guide me through the creation of a text based game? Maybe via I.M. or something? If so please P.M. me or add me to MSN unwantedminority@hotmail.co.uk Cheers.

Sponsor:

#2 Twisol   Members   -  Reputation: 468

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:53 AM

I can't personally help you with that, but the C++ Workshop has some great projects that might be exactly what you want to try.

#3 unwantedminority   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

I'm a complete newbie... Those titles mean jack to me and I have no clue where to start! :(

#4 Twisol   Members   -  Reputation: 468

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:24 AM

I suggest getting a good book on a programming language of your choice then. C++ is supposedly tough to learn, but I had no problem with it myself. I think (in my opinion) C# is a good language to learn at the start too. Online tutorials can be good, but usually books are better. "Thinking in C++" is an online, downloadable book though, and it's great, although I wouldn't say best for a new programmer.

#5 unwantedminority   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:27 AM

So you think something like C+ for dummies or something like that will be enough? I'd consider myself fairly intelligent... I picked up HTML in about half an hour.

#6 monp   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:37 AM

A book I liked when I was figuring at the basic was. "C++ Without Fear" In my opinion it was a pretty decent book.

#7 Twisol   Members   -  Reputation: 468

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

I'd just take a trip to a local Barnes' & Nobles' or Borders bookstore and see what they have. Leaf through any books you find that might interest you to make sure you're getting what you want, some books might not go over some stuff, or do advanced stuff you don't want yet, etc.

The C++ Workshop I mentioned uses "Learn C++ In 30 Days" or some such book, if you're interested in following along with that you can look at the Introduction thread in the workshop.

EDIT: I actually own the book monp mentioned, it is a pretty decent book. It has exercises at the end of each chapter, which is a plus for me!

#8 theOcelot   Members   -  Reputation: 498

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:00 AM

I found "C++ For Dummies" satisfactory, and I'm not (really) a dummy either. The author's smart-mouth remarks occasionally obscure the point he's trying to make but thats generally not a problem. When you're done, though, make sure you read up on STL and the boost libraries (that'll make sense later). He doesn't really give STL justice, but then you couldn't if you had the whole book, and it only gets a chapter. But it gets the basics of programming across without really delving into all the icky parts of C++. You can check it out at the library, and if you don't like it no harm done.

#9 unwantedminority   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:06 AM

Ok thanks mate... I might need help as to where to go after that though :o

#10 blewisjr   Members   -  Reputation: 611

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

In all honesty I would suggest picking up a beginner book on C# where it starts you with some console programs like Beginning C# by Wrox Publishing. They will teach out about input and output and then the rest of the C# language. I suggest it because it is alot easier to start with C# then C++ because you don't have to worry about some of the annoying quirks it has. Also you can get a free C# IDE at MSDN. Since you are new to programming I think it would be easier for you to pick up on. With all the basics of programming down I think you would have no trouble implementing a text based single player game. My first game I ever did was Tic Tac Toe in a console window with C++ however, if C# was out then I think it would have been alot simpler.

#11 oler1s   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:08 AM

Quote:
I was wondering if there was anybody out there who would guide me through the creation of a text based game?
You mean, have someone else program the game for you.

Quote:
So you think something like C+ for dummies or something like that will be enough?
No.

Quote:
I picked up HTML in about half an hour.
It’s not a programming language.

Same advice applies to you as to anyone else who wants to learn how to program and make games. Pick a decent language suitable for beginners (read other forums posts for information on how to pick a language and recommendations, C++ not one of them). Then learn to use that language with decent fluency. Do so with small practice programs. At some point, you may be able to tackle your game idea.

EDIT:

The way you post, it sounds like you want everything spoonfed to you. You don’t know what to do, so you want someone else to hold your hand through everything. That isn’t how programming works.

#12 I Am Legend   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:26 AM

Wrathlands. That's the name of a sample game put together in these tutorials(not mine)

http://www.rdxgames.com/projects/wrathlands/index.html

#13 blackviper91   Members   -  Reputation: 182

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

I would recommend that you try out Python with PyGame or Pyglet. Python is easier to learn and use than C++, so I find it to be a good beginner language. I already had programming experiance when I picked up Python, so all I did was look at some examples and experiment. For this reason I'm not exactly sure what book to recommend, but probably just about any "for absolute beginners" or "for dummies" type book would probably give you a good foundation in both programming concepts and the language itself.

~Cody

#14 steveworks   Members   -  Reputation: 146

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:07 PM

I recomend learning Python. I am currently in the middle of learning it after a messy affair with C++. I have to tell you that Python is a lot easier to use than C++. A byte of python (check it out on amazon) is the book I read so far and it was very helpful to me. It also has an online html version that you can get at python.org. Its found under for beginners which is under documentation. I wish you luck with whatever you pick.

#15 Electrons   Banned   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:15 PM

Whatever programming language you choose, find a good book that not only teaches you the language, but also teaches the basics of programming as well (algorithm design, data structures, object-oriented programming). If you can't, find a separate book that teaches you how to program and learn it well. Also, make sure you stick with the language you choose until you know it very, very well.

#16 unwantedminority   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:32 AM

Thanks guys much appreciated... and Olers gtfo... what's your problem? :|

#17 Tesseract   Members   -  Reputation: 284

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:08 AM

If you are making a purely text-based game, there is always Inform.

#18 blackviper91   Members   -  Reputation: 182

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
Original post by unwantedminority
and Olers gtfo... what's your problem? :|

He just wrote what alot of people were probably thinking. You probably haven't been around the forums much, but if you spend any amount of time here, you'll quickly find that a good half or more of the people that come on asking for beginner help (i.e. what language, write this code for me, show me good tutorials, etc) really don't want to do the work, they just want the games quickly with as little work as possible. I don't think his statements were meant as a personal remark against you, he was just wary, as was I, that your another one of the dozens that wants to be spoonfed and won't actually follow through.

Hopefully that's not true and you'll stick with this wonderful hobby (or if your damn lucky, profession :P). Good luck with your future learning and programming!

~Cody

#19 kakudi74   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

hi, its ok. am a newbie too but you really need to do the grinding yourself. it seems we all need the extra hardwork

#20 oler1s   Members   -  Reputation: 589

0Likes

Posted 26 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

@OP (unwantedminority):

Take a look at this thread. So many people replied. But how many volunteered to be your guide? None. Because no one will volunteer for it. I’m actually trying to tell you something useful. If I wanted to just be hostile, there would be no mistaking it from my post. If someone else, or the mods, think my posts come off as hostile, do chastise me in a reply or through PM. I’m not being a jerk, I’ll listen.

Part of being a programmer is having the right attitude. You are displaying the wrong one, and I’m trying to move you out of it. Ignore me if you wish. Maybe you’ll want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html though, because it will show you how to get more relevant answers to your questions.

[Edited by - oler1s on June 26, 2008 6:43:16 PM]

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS