• Create Account

Image of the day

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 phantomus   Members   -  Reputation: 621

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

People, I have a small comment on the IOTD mechanism: Today, an iotd that I posted four days ago was added to the gallery along with 5 others. This is not ideal. I suspect that most people primarily check the three images on the front page, which could lead to less exposure than I hoped for. In this case it's work from students of mine that I am particularly proud of, so I would like them to have proper air time. I'm sure the other 5 posters would like that too... Could the current system be adjusted to be more similar to the (late) Flipcode.com system? Kurt always kept a queue, so if 6 iotds would be available, he would have 6 unique iotds for a period of 6 days. Everybody happy: The site gets a daily update (I personally look at iotds before anything else, so that's relevant), and authors get exclusive attention for a full day. The only drawback I see is that if the queue is long, you have to wait. But that's often the case with the current system as well. So: A pledge for better handling of the iotds... For many authors, it's the primary way of getting some exposure. Don't take it away. :) - Jacco.

Sponsor:

#2 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

Often, I think the IOTD system would receive less complaints if there was a giant message on the upload page explaining how it worked.

#3 superpig   Staff Emeritus   -  Reputation: 1825

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

Yeah, I really need to fix the wording to clarify that box on the front page.

The two smaller images in that box are not supposed to be 'images of the day.' They're just images that were recently submitted to the gallery - they're not necessarily of featured status, and they only stay there as long as no new submissions come in.

The larger image, on the other hand, is the Image of the Day. When an image is approved for the gallery (i.e. to make sure it's not obscene), it may also be added to the IOTD queue. If it goes into the queue, then when the day rolls around it does get a full day's exposure in the big slot.

The result is that you actually get two shots at exposure - one when you've just submitted your image and it's visible as one of the small slots, and one when you're featured. Does that make more sense?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS