• Create Account

[java] please help a beginner!

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 sysmark   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 June 2001 - 02:49 AM

I''m new at java applet programming, and I''m stumped on one subject. I start with a really simple "hello world" applet, as shown in a tutorial here on gamedev. I build, run it and it works fine. But now I change the text to "hello universe", build run.... and I still get "hello world" on my screen!!! This has probably got something to do with the browser cache or something, so how do I tell the explorer to download my new applet???

Sponsor:

#2 sysmark   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 02 June 2001 - 06:31 AM

ignore my last question (the problem was that I didn''t close the explorer before reloaded the applet...). I have a new question:

In some documentation that I''m using to learn this stuff there is an example application that uses a single textfield to read in multiple numbers. It uses a method with the following prototype:

public boolean action(Event e, Object o);

In this method numbers entered in the textfield are inserted into an array and than another method uses the array to draw some squares on the screen.

When I try to build the compiler tells me this:

Note: opdr9.java uses a deprecated API. Recompile with "-deprecation" for details.
1 warning

I''m assuming I have to replace the action() method with something else. But what?

#3 Chaoslab   Members   -  Reputation: 116

Posted 02 June 2001 - 01:08 PM

To get Internet Explorer to reload your applet just click outside the applet somewhere of the web page and press crtl-f5 and it forces the browser to fully reload the page class files and all!

:-)

#4 nowan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 04 June 2001 - 05:25 AM

Yup sysmark, that warning you are getting is just to tell you that you are using something in your code that has changed in the version of Java you are compiling.
For example, if you are writing some code that uses syntax from Java 1.0 but are using the 1.3 libraries when compiling, you may be making references to a part of the library that has changed and your compiler is telling you to re-compile using -deprecation to find out what it is.
Often your code will still work fine but it is wise to check out just exactly what the warning is refering to.

That''s my understanding anyway.

nowan

#5 Anonymous Poster_Anonymous Poster_*   Guests   -  Reputation:

Posted 14 June 2001 - 08:11 AM

Yes, the deprecation means that a call that you made in your Java is no longer supported in the current version of Java, or rather, not in the current version of Java''s documentation. Deprecated methods may still work, but they are on their way out, having been replaced by something newer.

In your case, it sounds like you are still using the old event model, which changed significantly after Java 1.1. The older method of event handling no longer is supported, and will in the future (potentially) will not work on strict Java client amchines at all. You should get the latest documents and a book which is more up to date, to avoid learning calls and methods that will be useless in the future...

Spencer

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS