• Create Account

FREE SOFTWARE GIVEAWAY

We have 4 x Pro Licences (valued at $59 each) for 2d modular animation software Spriter to give away in this Thursday's GDNet Direct email newsletter.

Read more in this forum topic or make sure you're signed up (from the right-hand sidebar on the homepage) and read Thursday's newsletter to get in the running!

Starting your career as a composer-sound designer (FAQ and answers)

• You cannot reply to this topic
58 replies to this topic

#41 nsmadsen   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4353

0Likes

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:54 AM

Very good point Jaap! Thanks for sharing this!

Nate
Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Sponsor:

#42 metorsummoner7   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 04 June 2011 - 07:36 AM

What would you suggest as good digital portfolio for music?

#43 nsmadsen   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4353

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

What do you mean exactly? What is the best content? Or what are the best tools to make it easily accessible? I use Soundcloud to post and stream my content and choose to use samplers to show highlights as opposed to posting full songs. This serves as an introduction to my work.

Thanks,

Nate
Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

#44 Tom Sloper   Moderators   -  Reputation: 10162

-1Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

What do you mean exactly?

He asked that question seven months ago. Surely he isn't still looking for people to answer it now.
-- Tom Sloper
Sloperama Productions
Making games fun and getting them done.
www.sloperama.com

Please do not PM me. My email address is easy to find, but note that I do not give private advice.

#45 Moritz P.G. Katz   Members   -  Reputation: 1053

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:13 PM

Feeling like digging up graves, Nate? ;)

I'm sure metosummoner7 isn't the only one asking himself this, though, so it's vaild to answer that question. I'm using SoundCloud too, you can organize your tracks in sets and you get a good feedback on how many people have listened to your music, plus they can leave comments and share the music easily.

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

#46 nsmadsen   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4353

0Likes

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

Tom - I realize that but as Mortiz pointed out, others might be wondering/asking the same thing and since his post somehow went unanswered I thought later was better than never. :) Since this topic is pinned (or a sticky) I view it as a long-term resource for the forum.

Moritz - Should I play Dave Matthews' Grave Digger while responding to these old posts? :)
Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

#47 Moritz P.G. Katz   Members   -  Reputation: 1053

0Likes

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:44 AM

Moritz - Should I play Dave Matthews' Grave Digger while responding to these old posts? Posted Image

Hehe - I was thinking of something more dramatic:
;)

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

#48 metorsummoner7   Members   -  Reputation: 124

0Likes

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

I forgot that I had made this post. I create pretty much instrumental and I created a few video game related tracks. Shortly after I asked that question I started using SoundCloud.

#49 Jinksi   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Great resource thanks to everyone who posted!
Musician and Sound Designer, working my way into a career in Game Audio.
Twitter: @jinksi
Webpage: http://www.ericjinks.com
G.A.N.G: http://bit.ly/AdgOWa

#50 BradyHearn   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:18 PM

Thanks Nathan, thats all great advice, Im glad we have people like you on this board. I've been working on the 'getting my stuff out there' part lately to good success, if you have a sec, let me know what you think of my presentation www.bradyhearn.com

Thanks again!

Brady

#51 nsmadsen   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4353

2Likes

Posted 23 February 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thanks Nathan, thats all great advice, Im glad we have people like you on this board. I've been working on the 'getting my stuff out there' part lately to good success, if you have a sec, let me know what you think of my presentation www.bradyhearn.com

Your music is quite good! I enjoyed it! A tip though - turn off the autoplay. It can make clients and browsers upset if their speakers are turned up then suddenly music blasts at them. Another helpful tip would be to set the starting volume to around 70%. This way the user can turn it up if they so wish. Nice gallery - perhaps add some captions? Looks like you got to work with live musicians - awesome! :)

Other than that - your website is clean and simple to use. That's a good thing!

Cheers,

Nate
Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

#52 BradyHearn   Members   -  Reputation: 100

0Likes

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

Thanks so much Nate, I took care of the autoplay issue and went over to a Soundcloud widget, which is nice because it isnt flash, so people can play my reels with ipads and iphones. Im not sure if they have a volume control on soundcloud, but thats a good idea too, since Ive been limiting my music to -0.1 dB, so it does come off as fairly loud. Also, over the past 2 weeks Ive had access to Lawrence Manchester's (howard shore's mixer) studio, so Ive taken the opportunity to to bounce every stem from my reel and remix in his studio after-hours, its made a big difference because I could actually hear clearly, both the high and low ends.

Thanks again Nate!

Regards,

Brady

#53 ebrowne   Members   -  Reputation: 120

0Likes

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Really great advice all around - particularly the list of recommended reading near the beginning, Nate!

Feel free to listen to my current audioreels as linked in my signature. Would love any kind of feedback as I'm just starting out properly as a composer for video games and film :)
Eric Browne - Composer

Facebook
SoundCloud
bandcamp

#54 MackNeumann   Members   -  Reputation: 157

0Likes

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:09 AM

This is a great post!! I am a beginning composer myself, and I would love for you to help! My passion for this is so strong! Great post again!
Media Composer Mackenzie Neumann

#55 Bakuda   Members   -  Reputation: 279

1Likes

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

I want to add my thanks for all of your advice Nate. I just landed my first paying job and am very excited. Everything on this site gave me a good foundation and reading Aaron Marks' book has been amazing. It has helped me every step of the way with getting this job, and now working on getting the contract ready. Thanks for suggesting this gem of a book!

Edited by Bakuda, 19 December 2012 - 12:07 AM.

#56 LoekMulders   Members   -  Reputation: 101

0Likes

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

Nice article! Just found out about this website and it already gave me some usefull information.

I have been playing games and making music for about 10 years and just realized i would like my music in a video game one day :)

This is a good place to start reading up on some stuff I am not yet familiar with.

#57 nihil0x00   Members   -  Reputation: 119

0Likes

Posted 16 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Hi, I like the article very much

I was googling a lot to find next steps for me but I wasn't able to find clear answer

so then I thought gamedev has great community lets ask them

that's basically how I got here and this topic is basically what I'm interested in so I didn't created another one.

Just to give more information about me I'm software engineer. I wouldn't say that I'm very skilled game developer but I'm highly skilled in coding

and I'm very passionate about game development.

I'm also playing guitar and composing simple music on it ( I'm good with blues improvisation :D ).

I don't see myself as performer but fact that I enjoy creating something new ( I mean anything ) give me most pleasure and enjoyment makes

me think that I should at least try myself in game music creation

but I'm nowhere right now. I'm reading articles about "game music creation" , "game sound engineering" .etc

also having fun in FL studio.

problem is that I don't even know what is the official name of game music creation if such name exists

I also don't have clear image how people create game music do they do it completely in DAW or do they records ?  ( probably depends on case ).

so I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to provide some guidance ( links, videos .etc ) of

how people do it what they use and what knowledge they need

also it will be very useful if you provide resources for learning these stuff and also other suggestions will be priceless

#58 Breakdown Epiphanies   Members   -  Reputation: 175

0Likes

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

This was such a good read, thanks a lot Nathan and thanks to everyone else sharing their experience. I just ordered some of the books that were recommended but this thread alone gave me a lot to consider and reflect upon.

Cheers,

Patrick

Breakdown Epiphanes, Musicians from Hamburg, Germany.

https://soundcloud.com/breakdownepiphanies

#59 nsmadsen   Moderators   -  Reputation: 4353

0Likes

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:00 AM

Glad it has helped - even all of these years later!! 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

PARTNERS