OpenGL3.0.. I mean 2.2

Started by
336 comments, last by JMNightmare 15 years, 6 months ago
Well, someone has linked to the following on OpenGL.org; http://opengl.org/registry/doc/glspec30.20080811.pdf And, well, thanks but no thanks. All those glorious changes? Gone. The rewritten API? Gone. What we are left with is OpenGL2.2. To quote Eddy Luten from the Opengl.org forum;
Quote: For those who don't feel like digging through the spec, OpenGL 3.0 Equals:
  • API support for the new texture lookup, texture format, and integer and unsigned integer capabilities of the OpenGL Shading Language 1.30 specification (GL EXT gpu shader4).
  • Conditional rendering (GL NV conditional render).
  • Fine control over mapping buffer subranges into client space and flushing modified data.
  • Floating-point color and depth internal formats for textures and renderbuffers (GL ARB color buffer float, GL NV depth buffer float, 455 N.2. DEPRECATION MODEL 456 GL ARB texture float, GL EXT packed float, and GL EXT texture shared exponent).
  • Framebuffer objects (GL EXT framebuffer object).
  • Half-float (16-bit) vertex array and pixel data formats (GL NV half float and GL ARB half float pixel).
  • Multisample stretch blit functionality (GL EXT framebuffer multisample and GL EXT framebuffer blit).
  • Non-normalized integer color internal formats for textures and renderbuffers (GL EXT texture integer).
  • One- and two-dimensional layered texture targets (GL EXT texture array).
  • Packed depth/stencil internal formats for combined depth+stencil textures and renderbuffers (GL EXT packed depth stencil).
  • Per-color-attachment blend enables and color writemasks (GL EXT draw buffers2).
  • RGTC specific internal compressed formats (GL EXT texture compression rgtc).
  • Single- and double-channel (R and RG) internal formats for textures and renderbuffers.
  • Transform feedback (GL EXT transform feedback).
  • Vertex array objects (GL APPLE vertex array object).
  • sRGB framebuffer mode (GL EXT framebuffer sRGB) Plus deprecation of older features.
As he said, where the hell are the objects? Frankly, this is crap. I said it was a sink or swim moment for the ARB and it's just sunk without a trace. It appears the reason is they don't want to break the API because of all the CAD apps out there (J. Carmack, QuakeCon2008), and in doing so have finally put the nail into the coffin games wise. I'd like to congratulate MS for winning the 3D API 'war' on Windows, turns out they didn't need to sink the goodship OpenGL, the captains ran it into an iceberg for them.
Advertisement
Uhm..I was looking forward to new API. Anyway, I'm just happy with D3D. Seems like Microsoft actually know how to do the things.
Shame.
[size="1"]
Fail.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Doh! Why don't they let the CAD people stick with 2.1, and move forwards with 3?
My God. What would have been the problem saying, "This is the way it's going to be, let's REFINE it"? Makes me loose a LOT of respect for the ARB.

Of course, being on Linux, I sort of have to go with OpenGL (mesa, whatever) instead of DirectX. After this little blow though, I'm looking forward to somebody cracking DirectX.

FlyingIsFun1217
So let me get this straight... In order to allow what, a small handful of old CAD apps to compile against 3.0, they're willing to practically kill off all *new* applications developed against the API?

That makes sense. One customer a year ago is better than ten next week... [grin]

Or maybe they've just realized that a) they've lost everything on Windows to DirectX so it doesn't really matter what they do there, and b) since they don't have a single competing API on other platforms, they don't actually need to make an effort there either.

End result, they can screw over developers as much as they like, and it won't actually hurt them. Windows developers wouldn't have used OGL in the first place, and everyone else will keep using them because there are no alternatives.
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
That makes sense. One customer a year ago is better than ten next week... [grin]

Yes, apprently the ARB has a passing familarity with 'sense'; I'm starting to suspect that as a rule of thumb they find out what makes sense and then go in the other direction...

So I just checked, and it turns out we have plenty of room in DirectX and XNA for you guys. You can all come, nobody needs to get left out. Jack is going to make a batch of cookies for everyone!
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
So it took them a year of no updates, no news to unroll their existing changes and go back to an unassuming, useless API?

I thought Khronos was on the clue train here. People bank their livelihoods on this stuff.

Maybe with the new depreciation model we can have objects by 2014. I suspect I'd better get cracking on my Core Animation/DirectX interop layer before Apple leaves the ARB.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement