• Create Account

Advice on making a map editor (C# winforms)

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 benologist   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:10 AM

I've got a rudimentary engine set up in Silverlight and I'm ready to start putting together a map editor as a C# windows application. I was looking at this: http://www.firstproductions.com/soft/isoengine/html/isoengine_map_editor_screensho.html Does anyone have any suggestions on how to display the large map as they are? If I use a UserControl it's width x height controls being created and painted which chews a tonne of resources or just dies trying to add that many controls to a Panel.

Sponsor:

#2 A dam   Members   -  Reputation: 130

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:58 PM

are you asking how they display just the small section of the larger map?

#3 benologist   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2008 - 12:39 AM

Yes. Well to be more specifically how to efficiently display the map for editing.

I tried having a UserControl but if a map's 1000x1000 it's a million instances and the program dies trying to create and attach the controls.

In one of the .NET threads I read that the trick is to paint a single bitmap of the region that's on the screen which is an avenue I'm exploring at the moment.

#4 RivieraKid   Members   -  Reputation: 375

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:30 AM

we need to work together. Ive been working on an isometric engine in Silverlight, im a professional silverlight developer and I really like it.

Here is what i have done so far.

I can define my rooms in XML which works really well.

ive got a really good per pixel mouse over solution. I would love to collaborate.

I was thinking it would be better to have the editor (or at least a basic version) in the web browser so players could design/edit the levels.

my msn is rivierakid33@hotmail.com

how are you handling the z-indexes?

all of my tiles and content extend from ContentControl and they contain an image. I think the UserControl is better for UI and menus.

silverlight is great for rendering, it only updates/redraws stuff that changes which is perfect for isometric.

[Edited by - RivieraKid on September 8, 2008 3:30:12 PM]

#5 benologist   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

Looks cool.

If you want to get me on MSN it's
b e n l o w r y 1 0 1 @hotmail.

The engine I'm working on is based on Diablo 2. I haven't gotten far with it yet but I've got it to the point where the map laods in from an XML file and you can move around on it (although 'you' are just the center of the map, haven't done the player yet heh).

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS