• Create Account

We're offering banner ads on our site from just $5!

1. Details HERE. 2. GDNet+ Subscriptions HERE. 3. Ad upload HERE.

3D editing UI control ?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 KGJV   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Hi, I've doing some kind of editor for 3D scenes. I need a way to provide a user interface control to move objects in 3D inside a scene. Some artists I know recommended to use a "3 arrows control" like shown in this picture: http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1218/docking01fv7.png so for instance, when the mouse is over the green arrow it highlights it. If the user holds the left button then moving the mouse will move the object along the (screen) vertical axis (the 3 arrows control is always at the center of the currently selected object) Also, some objects can be rotated, so the 'control' can also have rotation grips (arcs between the arrows). Now the question is how can I code such a control? do I use a 2D sprite or a real 3D object (actually 3 objects, 1 for each arrow?) ? I'd like feedbacks/advice from people who have already implemented such 'UI control' or eventually alternate ways of doing this. Maybe some libraries/APIs exist for this already ? thx

Sponsor:

#2 BlackSpot   Members   -  Reputation: 114

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

Consider also that many 3D artists (im not, but i still have one) own a 3D input device, which makes performing these actions much easier.

A 3D arrow grip is an effective tool, never had trouble with those. But i often consider the selection of the grip an extra step which is inefficient. Key combinations often are more efficient and would be less effort to code.

#3 Lysergide   Members   -  Reputation: 731

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

I found the article called 3D Manipulators (by Mindshifter) very helpful:
http://ziggyware.com/readarticle.php?article_id=189

Very well written, and includes the source code.

* Note that it is written for XNA, but after understanding the principles i'm sure it can be ported to your platform of choice.

Lior.

#4 KGJV   Members   -  Reputation: 122

0Likes

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:54 PM

wow thanks a lot for that article, that's exactly what I was looking for !

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS