• Create Account

making a 3d engine?!?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nomad   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 December 1999 - 01:56 PM

OK, here it goes.
I, like every other aspiring game programmer out there wants to make a 3d engine, there is only one proble, i have no clue where to start. here is ,my goal for the first version of the engine, a big box, which you can walk around inside of, and dynamically change the view with your mouse(mouselook) from there i will work to add all features, and make a dynamic level loader, and all that good stuff, but my question is how would i go about doing the above thing? I just need this a s a good place to start, please give me some ideas how to do this.

THANX,
Nomad

Sponsor:

#2 Facehat   Members   -  Reputation: 696

Posted 06 December 1999 - 12:01 PM

People will give you all kinds of varying advice. I myself started by buying a book on OpenGL. I'm sure a lot of people will argue that the best way to learn is by writing a software rasterizer and making all parts yourself. I personally disagree with this approach mainly because I found that it's easier to learn the concepts when your using something like GL. I probably would have never started programming 3D stuff if I had to write the rasterizer simply because I would have gotten too discouraged.

After you have created a GL engine, though, you should go back and write a software rasterizer since software rendering still is very important. Besides that, you'll learn a great deal from it.

*note* rasterizer = renderer

My 2C

--TheGoop

#3 Dave Astle   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 2305

Posted 06 December 1999 - 01:56 PM

I think TheGoop's suggestion is a good one. I did something similar myself, building a rasterizer and then a 3D engine using OpenGL to handle things one level below whatever I was working on learning (i.e. letting it draw pixel while I was doing lines, then lines while I did polys, etc.). Learning low-level rendering is important, but you don't REALLY need to learn it before building a 3D engine.

Anyway, I think what you need is a good book on 3D graphics. Look in the Game and Graphics section of our book reviews for some suggestions. I just got 3D Game Programming with C++ for review, and it may be a good place to start.

There are also a number of introductory 3D tutorials in our reference section, so check those out too.

- Dave

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS