• Create Account

Display mode changing problem

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
2 replies to this topic

#1 Aeetes   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 December 1999 - 02:51 AM

I have written a GUI class library using DD and DI. So far it only runs in 640x480x8 mode. However, when I attempted to add support for mode changing (different resolutions, still 8-bit though) my programs crashes on exit (page fault). After this, any DDraw program that I run (including the samples) always crashes on loading with a page fault. I can only run a DDraw program again after rebooting.

My library has surfaces for primary and back buffer. When I change the mode I first release both the primary and back buffers, switch the mode, then finally create new primary and back buffer surfaces.

If I ignore the surfaces, and just switch the mode, not releasing and recreating the primary and back buffer, the program runs fine. I stripped the program down to the point where it does nothing but change the mode, so I am certain that the problem has to do with it... Namely the surfaces I believe.

Here is the code for changing the mode:

code:
ARESULT AccessDisplay::SetDisplayMode(int nWidth, int nHeight, int nBPP) {
if (m_pDDSPrimary != NULL) {
m_pDDSPrimary->Release();
m_pDDSPrimary = NULL;
}
if (m_pDDSBuffer != NULL) {
m_pDDSBuffer->Release();
m_pDDSBuffer = NULL;
}

if (m_pDD->SetDisplayMode(nWidth, nHeight, nBPP, 0, 0) != DD_OK)
return AERROR;

DDSURFACEDESC2 ddsd;
ZeroMemory(&ddsd, sizeof(ddsd));
ddsd.dwSize = sizeof(ddsd);
ddsd.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS | DDSD_BACKBUFFERCOUNT;
ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE | DDSCAPS_FLIP | DDSCAPS_COMPLEX;
ddsd.dwBackBufferCount = 1;
if (m_pDD->CreateSurface(&ddsd, &m_pDDSPrimary, NULL) != DD_OK)
return AERROR;

DDSCAPS2 ddscaps;
ZeroMemory(&ddscaps, sizeof(ddscaps));
ddscaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_BACKBUFFER;
if (m_pDDSPrimary->GetAttachedSurface(&ddscaps, &m_pDDSBuffer) != DD_OK)
return AERROR;

DDBLTFX ddbltfx;
ZeroMemory(&ddbltfx, sizeof(ddbltfx));
ddbltfx.dwSize = sizeof(ddbltfx);
ddbltfx.dwFillColor = 0;
if (m_pDDSPrimary->Blt(NULL, NULL, NULL, DDBLT_COLORFILL | DDBLT_WAIT, &ddbltfx) != DD_OK)
return AERROR;
if (m_pDDSBuffer->Blt(NULL, NULL, NULL, DDBLT_COLORFILL | DDBLT_WAIT, &ddbltfx) != DD_OK)
return AERROR;

return AOK;
}

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

[This message has been edited by Aeetes (edited December 06, 1999).]

Sponsor:

#2 Tuan   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 06 December 1999 - 02:56 PM

When you create the primary surface in full screen mode, the back surface is a member of primary. So, when you release primary surface, the back is release automatically. You release the back surface manually when you run in window mode.
Goodluck!

------------------

#3 Aeetes   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 December 1999 - 02:51 AM

Thank you. I got it working a little later by just releasing the back buffer before the primary surface. Thanks, since I didn't really know that the reference was held by the primary surface (I'm new to COM programming, switching from good old DPMI under DJGPP). At least now I know why it worked when I switched the release order, thanks.

------------------
Where's my Golden Fleece?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS