• Create Account

How intelligent are kangaroos?

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
37 replies to this topic

#21 Yann L   Moderators   -  Reputation: 1794

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

The first time I was in Australia years ago, I almost crashed head on into a group of Kangaroos somewhere halfway between Melbourne and Sydney. They were just standing around on the road in the middle of the night, not moving and probably attracted by the head lights. It was fucking scary, I barely managed to stop in time.

Sponsor:

#22 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2096

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:34 AM

yeah, that's why you don't drive in Aussie at night. A few years ago I was in WA and got delayed on a trip, and ended up driving until eleven. At one point a bloody great desert red actually cleared the bonnet and missed my windscreen by inches. I actually did end up hitting a rock wallaby (I think), but fortunately it was a small one, so no major damage done. Cutting it out of the "roo bar" wasn't pleasant though.

And for the record, I've eaten kangaroo and it's not bad. But I'd take crocodile over it any day. [grin]

#23 owl   Banned   -  Reputation: 364

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

If the recipe is good... we kill actually intelligent beings every day and we don't even eat them.

#24 zedz   Members   -  Reputation: 291

Posted 05 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

ive had kangaroo before not the tastiest meat but certainly palatable (better than crocodile anyways)

another meat suggestion is the possum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Brushtail_Possum
70million of them here in nz (and thats after the government spending millions trying to wipe them out of the last 20+ years!)
, so a fair few burgers could be made

#25 Kaze   Members   -  Reputation: 948

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

Quote:
Original post by zedz
70million of them here in nz (and thats after the government spending millions trying to wipe them out of the last 20+ years!)
, so a fair few burgers could be made

If you don't mind eating what looks like a giant cross between a rat and bat.

#26 Trapper Zoid   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1370

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:53 PM

Quote:
Original post by Kaze

You're thinking of the American possums. Australasian possums look like a cross between a rat and a rabbit. They're a bit higher on the cuteness scale.

#27 ChurchSkiz   Members   -  Reputation: 431

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:36 AM

People are smart, that doesn't stop bears from eating us.

Don't let the pouches fool you, if a Kangaroo ever got the chance he'd slaughter you and your entire family.

#28 Nemesis2k2   Members   -  Reputation: 1045

Posted 06 October 2008 - 04:59 AM

Yeah, judging my my driving experiences, I'm going to say Kangaroos are not very smart. I haven't hit any, but I've come close a number of times. One time I was flying along a rural road at 100KPH at night, and I round a corner and find a group of about a dozen of them just standing in the middle of the road. I had to do some pretty quick braking to avoid hitting them. What really got me was the fact that the buggers just stood there. I came hurling towards this mob in a big 4WD at high speed, and managed to pull up just a few metres in front of them. Half of the roos didn't even look up, and the ones that did just looked down again and didn't react. It took about 20 seconds before some of them got the message they should probably move, and they started slowly hopping off the road a few at a time.

And yeah, I took the next corner at 70 instead.

#29 King of Men   Members   -  Reputation: 391

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:47 AM

I've eaten kangaroo. Not bad at all. I note, though, that the reason their meat is lean and good is probably that they are hunted rather than farmed. If they were domesticated as we've done to our more usual meat animals, they would no doubt be bred for meatiness and become fatty in no time, same as happened to cattle.

#30 GameCreator   Members   -  Reputation: 656

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:43 AM

I don't know about intelligence or edibility but kangaroos are good fighters.

#31 ChaosEngine   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2096

Posted 06 October 2008 - 08:56 AM

Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote:
Original post by Kaze

You're thinking of the American possums. Australasian possums look like a cross between a rat and a rabbit. They're a bit higher on the cuteness scale.

They're bastards is what they are. As Zedz mentioned, there are millions of the little buggers here in NZ. They eat millions of tonnes of native vegetation every year, which destroys the habitats of native birds, and have even been known to eat native bird chicks.

Plus one of the bastards lives in my garden and kept me awake all last night scampering across my roof. Now where's my shotgun? Right....

#32 Dhadson   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:41 AM

I eat kangaroo steaks around once a week. They are pretty expensive, yet they have almost no fat. They taste great, quite rich in flavour.

I would not recommend kangaroo sausages, they have so little fat that they don't taste that good (as sausages need fat for flavour).

#33 Dhadson   Members   -  Reputation: 128

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
Quote:
Original post by Kaze

They are cute, but don't let that fool you... they have huge claws and very sharp teeth. One gave one of my old girlfriends a nasty scratch on her leg once when it wanted some food she was eating. Another nearly bit my finger off (or a nice chunck) when I thought I would try to pat one (I was a little drunk at the time and it looked so cute).

#34 Luckless   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1578

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Quote:
Original post by Nemesis2k2
Yeah, judging my my driving experiences, I'm going to say Kangaroos are not very smart. I haven't hit any, but I've come close a number of times. One time I was flying along a rural road at 100KPH at night, and I round a corner and find a group of about a dozen of them just standing in the middle of the road. I had to do some pretty quick braking to avoid hitting them. What really got me was the fact that the buggers just stood there. I came hurling towards this mob in a big 4WD at high speed, and managed to pull up just a few metres in front of them. Half of the roos didn't even look up, and the ones that did just looked down again and didn't react. It took about 20 seconds before some of them got the message they should probably move, and they started slowly hopping off the road a few at a time.

And yeah, I took the next corner at 70 instead.

Maybe they are very smart, and are trying to save lives by making drivers slow down and pay more attention?

#35 Moe   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 1248

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

I'd totally be willing to try Kangaroo (or possum). Where do I sign up?

#36 caffiene   Members   -  Reputation: 237

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:58 AM

Quote:
Original post by Moe
I'd totally be willing to try Kangaroo (or possum). Where do I sign up?

Just google it. Its common enough that its stocked in most of the major supermarket chains here, and Im sure theres plenty of exporters too.

Been a long time since Ive had Kangaroo, but from memory it wasnt bad. If it became popular enough to bring the cost down Id be all for eating it regularly. For that matter, I remember Emu being quite tasty too.

#37 Hodgman   Moderators   -  Reputation: 26958

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:38 PM

Quote:
Original post by Tiffany_Smith
I always thought Kangaroos were an endangered animal.
More like common pests...

#38 Avatar God   Members   -  Reputation: 1072

Posted 16 October 2008 - 04:59 PM

I ran into plenty of kangaroos and wallabies in Australia, and ate roo meat a few times. Pretty tasty. I wish we could get it fresh here.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS