• Create Account

Intel i740 8MB AGP DX Problems! ;-(

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 SikCiv   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 07 December 1999 - 12:15 PM

My p2/350 has an i740 8MB video card, and I have been experiencing DirectX problems like slow frame rates in window mode, and low stretching performance.

I have found out from the DXCAPS in the DirectX Diagnostics that the i740 is not capable of blitting from sys mem to video mem, so I took out the SYSTEMMEMORY flag when creating my back buffer. Now it runs at light speed because it it creating the surface in the video memory, but if I stretch the image to anything other than the original size of the back buffer (640x480), it kills the frame rate to 8 frames. In DirectX Diags it says it can stretch blitX+Y from vid mem to vid mem, BUT it seems it is not using the hardware for this operation, resulting in a very low frame rate. BUT if I run the stretch sample app in the DX7 SDK, it stretches at a high frame rate! The only difference I can see is the stretch example is using a small source blit, I think about 64x64 (its a small donut bitmap), but my apps source blit is a 640x480 bitmap, as is the Foxbear sample (same performance as my game). Maybe the i740 has a source size limit when using the stretching hardware?, or is this the case on all AGP cards?

Funny thing is, ive tried all this on a 133MMX laptop and the FPS are the same, no matter what source blit size or stretch size!

I am suspecting the bundled drivers are no good, so i have installed the R4 version, with no luck. Surely the AGP i740 8MB is a very capable card, better than the laptops CT65554 PCI chipset.
Does the DX7 driver database contain drivers for the i740, maybe the microsoft version will fix the problem?

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS