Getting the ping in Enet.

Started by
0 comments, last by hplus0603 15 years, 6 months ago
Does anyone know how to actually do this? I know you can get peer->roundTripTime.. but that's not the actual ping. It's an averaged value over the last x seconds. It's quite annoying, because it starts at 500 by default.. and because it's averaged, it takes a while for it to settle down to the actual ping. Thus.. when players join a game.. for the first 30seconds they warp all over the place because when I extrapolate by the latency it moves them forward by ~500ms, when the actual ping is like.. 50ms. Also, in my server lobby when I want to ping all servers.. I either have to wait for a few seconds until the ping levels out (seems pointless), or I get a highly inaccurate ping of ~400 or so. So surely there must be a way to get the raw, unaveraged ping of a peer? Thanks, Ben.
--------------------------Check out my free, top-down multiplayer shooter: Subvein
Advertisement
Enet comes with the source code. Make it either start out at 0, and detect the case of 0 to mean use the next result that comes in, or make it start out at an average of, say, 100.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement