• Create Account

[XACT] - Determining What Wavebanks A Soundbank Uses

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
No replies to this topic

#1 andur   Members   -  Reputation: 540

0Likes

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:27 AM

I'm looking into the process of adding in support for sound, and Xact seems to do basically everything that I'm looking for, with the added bonus of having a content creation tool pre-built for me. However, I'm puzzled by something here. How do you determine what wavebanks a soundbank/cue needs? The names of the wavebanks seem to be stored in plain text near the start of the .xsb file, but, that file format isn't documented (at least, no where that I've seen) and possibly subject to change. The Xact project file does contain this information in a human readable file format, but, it seems silly to be shipping that .xap file just for this purpose. Though looking inside of Sounds.xsb in tutorial 3, there isn't any mention of Sounds.xwb. Plus, ideally, one would be able to query somehow what wave banks a specific cue needs, so that one isn't loading in any unnecessary wave banks into memory. Or does Xact take care of all of this behind the scenes for me? The tutorials are loading wave banks directly, but, what happens if I tell Xact to play a Cue without its underlying wave bank loaded in? I don't see any Xact notification callbacks for missing wave banks. Even if you have all of the sound banks and wave banks loaded into memory, there doesn't seem to be a way of querying for what wave banks are needed by what cues. Also, just noticed that there's no audio programming forum here... maybe there should be?

Sponsor:

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS