• Create Account

C#/.NET - Include delimiter in each element from String.Split()

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
4 replies to this topic

#1 BTownTKD   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:07 AM

Basically I want to split a string up (likely using String.Split or RegEx.Split), and I want it to include the delimiter encountered at the end of each element. For example: If the delimiters are ' ' and '-' (whitespace and hyphen), and the string is "Hello I'm testing out this sweet new function, and I'm want to split-up hyphenated words too!", then the results would be; "Hello " "I'm " "Testing " **(etc)** "to " "split-" "up " "hyphenated " "words " "too!" Notice every element included the delimiter at the end. As far as I can tell, String.Split() always removes the delimiters from the resulting array. Not cool - is there a simple workaround? EDIT: A MatchCollection would work, too, if anybody knows a Regular expression that would achieve the same result with RegEx.Matches() [Edited by - BTownTKD on April 22, 2009 2:45:26 PM]

Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.

Sponsor:

#2 Zipster   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 599

0Likes

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:21 AM

You could probably get real fancy with String::Split and split up the string one delimiter at a time, re-inserting the delimiter, then splitting on the next delimiter, while maintaining the proper string ordering, etc. But that sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I would probably just implement my own splitting function that does exactly what I want -- iterate the characters, check against delimiters, and leave them in when I create the list of strings.

#3 Telastyn   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 3726

0Likes

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:29 AM

Not simple. Though it's pretty trivial to use contains or the match location on increasingly small strings to do the same behavior.

#4 Extrarius   Members   -  Reputation: 1412

0Likes

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

I can't speak for the .Net regular expression library, but in some libraries I've used, if you capture the delimiter using the appropriate symbols, it will be included in the result of a split. For example "( |-)" would keep the delimiter because () captures the text, whereas " |-" would not.

#5 BTownTKD   Members   -  Reputation: 205

0Likes

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Original post by Extrarius
I can't speak for the .Net regular expression library, but in some libraries I've used, if you capture the delimiter using the appropriate symbols, it will be included in the result of a split. For example "( |-)" would keep the delimiter because () captures the text, whereas " |-" would not.

Ding-ding-ding!

I used the pattern ( |-) and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much! Coincidentally, this is now a fantastic word-wrap function in my custom XNA "Text" class.

Note that the resulting array stored each delimiter in its own index, and not at the end of each specific word, i.e:

"Hello,"
" "
"world!"

instead of
"Hello, "
"world!"

But it still works great. Thanks again.

[Edited by - BTownTKD on April 22, 2009 2:52:55 PM]

Deep Blue Wave - Brian's Dev Blog.

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS